Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

No more JDM finisher gap with double din: pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimW
On paper, the AVIC-F's are kick *** head units... and at today's prices, they are almost too hard to resist. But, Best Buy has these on display and if you just poke around on one for 10 mins, you'll understand the complaints (even with updated firmware). Some owners love theirs and can live with Windows CE quirks, again especially at this price. Or they love to mod/hack everything, and for that these units rule. Other people want it all, but in a more appliance like feel, like an ipod - you may be limited, but whats there does work well. Rather than knock the AVIC-F's, I think you should take a few mins with a display unit. I decided against one personally. If they fix most everything in their 3rd update coming soon, I might revisit the idea of getting an AVIC-F's.
Can't imagine what you guys don't like about the F-series units. I'd love to hear specifics. To each their own, but I've had my F-90 in my G for about six months now and I can't imagine what else someone would want. It has AM/FM/HD XM or SIRIUS satellite radio. Bluetooth phone connection, Voice recognition iPod control, CD and DVD player. And the option to use a reverse camera for it too. An amazing unit.

For folks that complain that it may take all of 30 seconds give or take to begin playing music from an iPod or up to 50 or so for their phones to connect, then I guess, yeah, look for another unit. In the grand scheme of things to sweat in life - those don't rate too highly on my list! LOL!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. WOMO
Can't imagine what you guys don't like about the F-series units. I'd love to hear specifics. To each their own, but I've had my F-90 in my G for about six months now and I can't imagine what else someone would want. It has AM/FM/HD XM or SIRIUS satellite radio. Bluetooth phone connection, Voice recognition iPod control, CD and DVD player. And the option to use a reverse camera for it too. An amazing unit.

For folks that complain that it may take all of 30 seconds give or take to begin playing music from an iPod or up to 50 or so for their phones to connect, then I guess, yeah, look for another unit. In the grand scheme of things to sweat in life - those don't rate too highly on my list! LOL!

well, I'm complaining about it freezing to the point of having to shut the car off and restart -- ipod dropping out permanently (i had the 2.0 firmware from the pioneer factory) .. it rebooted itself periodically -- the map would freeze and i'd lose my navigation -- not too good when you have a client in the car, huh?

yeah... i didni't care about the delay with it going from one source to another, nor did i complain or care about the touchscreen mild delay ...

my problems with the F-series were horrific -- oh yeah, and if i received a call -- 1 out of 3 times it would permanently freeze the unit ..

yeah... sorry

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
oh, do you want more specifics? www.avic411.com ... go to forums.. then go to "problems/issues for F-series..." case closed.

i'm glad you're enjoying yours, i wish my TWO were as reliable as yours.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, I am enjoying mine.

If I had had the problems you describe, I too would have gone back to where I purchased them and gotten a unit that worked correctly. I have had none of the very unusual symptoms you describe on your unit. Do realize that for every person that may have had an issue with them, there are probably 10 that are perfectly happy.

I've been a member of AVIC411 for about a year, so I am well aware of the site and members that have had issues with their F-series. Also very aware of the many members that love them. The fact that a site exists to make the unit better or to help others understand them (hey, kinda like THIS site!) is pretty nice.

As for the JDM/Metra gap the poster in the other thread was referring to: I believe he is speaking to the gaps/fitment of the A/C controls, not the headunit itself. As much as one has to jimmy-jack a headunit such as the AVIC into the JDM fascia, that I guess is personal preference. I believe he wanted to use the Metra fascia (since something like the AVIC fits perfectly into it, but use the JDM A/C control piece (which does NOT fit perfectly into the Metra fascia, as I had tried that exact solution myself).

The fact that you created a run around for the ill-fitment of your then AVIC unit into your G (and I may be wrong on this, though as the original poster has yet to reply, I don't know for sure) isn't what he was asking - as far as I could tell.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by MR. WOMO
Thanks, I am enjoying mine.

If I had had the problems you describe, I too would have gone back to where I purchased them and gotten a unit that worked correctly. I have had none of the very unusual symptoms you describe on your unit. Do realize that for every person that may have had an issue with them, there are probably 10 that are perfectly happy.

I've been a member of AVIC411 for about a year, so I am well aware of the site and members that have had issues with their F-series. Also very aware of the many members that love them. The fact that a site exists to make the unit better or to help others understand them (hey, kinda like THIS site!) is pretty nice.

As for the JDM/Metra gap the poster in the other thread was referring to: I believe he is speaking to the gaps/fitment of the A/C controls, not the headunit itself. As much as one has to jimmy-jack a headunit such as the AVIC into the JDM fascia, that I guess is personal preference. I believe he wanted to use the Metra fascia (since something like the AVIC fits perfectly into it, but use the JDM A/C control piece (which does NOT fit perfectly into the Metra fascia, as I had tried that exact solution myself).

The fact that you created a run around for the ill-fitment of your then AVIC unit into your G (and I may be wrong on this, though as the original poster has yet to reply, I don't know for sure) isn't what he was asking - as far as I could tell.
LOL... thanks for all your clarifications!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
well, I'm complaining about it freezing to the point of having to shut the car off and restart -- ipod dropping out permanently (i had the 2.0 firmware from the pioneer factory) .. it rebooted itself periodically -- the map would freeze and i'd lose my navigation -- not too good when you have a client in the car, huh?

yeah... i didni't care about the delay with it going from one source to another, nor did i complain or care about the touchscreen mild delay ...

my problems with the F-series were horrific -- oh yeah, and if i received a call -- 1 out of 3 times it would permanently freeze the unit ..

yeah... sorry
I really really really wanted a F series... but I've been able to lay hands on 3 separate units for at least 15-25 mins each and noticed these issues myself. I cant confirm the ipod issue personally, but given how it was hanging/freezing with normal use, I would expect it.

But, if Pioneer nails the v3 update, and they seem motivated to do so, I might own a F-series this summer.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
I gotta say -- when it worked -- it seriously was an incredible unit -- I was .. beside myself -- the resolution of the screen, the features, even the voice recognition and bluetooth clarity (both ways) was PERFECT! (when it worked).

The sound and imaging was also incredible...

... hopefully for all those out here w/ F-series.. the V3 will be great -- for others interested.. i'm sure kenwood's new lineup will have similar features (the *140 series) and the new AVIC F-series should have many of these bugs worked out.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
did you get the 8120 installed? hows the gap? i just bought a 7140 and i wanna know if i need to do this for DD kit before installing

Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I did the 8120 install myself here's the pic:

The gap is not bad -- luckily the factory holes in the cage are PERFECT for this 8120 -- keeps it fairly flush -- but since the face moves to access the CD/DVD drive and the SD slot .. it's gotta have room around the side .. I did put the Kenwood trim ring on it BEHIND it so it doesn't have any gap past the JDM finisher -- looks SWEET.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
the scosche trim ring is TOO tight for the Kenwood -- so don't bother -- you'll have to trim down the trim ring they give you in the box -- but it comes out PERFECT. I love this kenwood -- bluetooth is awesome.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I might go with the Kenwood now since you don't need to modify anything. Hmmmm...

Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
the scosche trim ring is TOO tight for the Kenwood -- so don't bother -- you'll have to trim down the trim ring they give you in the box -- but it comes out PERFECT. I love this kenwood -- bluetooth is awesome.
Coooool! thanks for the info bro! cant wait to install mine and get rid of the bose crap!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
hah I was just browsing and saw my pictures and was like "wow those look familiar for some reason" then i realized they were mine. lol... well glad you guys can get some use out of them.

I don't know if the people that write neg reviews of the f-series got defective units or whatever but I love mine, I've never had a problem with it except a couple times when I was on the phone talking then got in the car and the phone synced with the radio. It semi-locked up, the screen wouldn't respond but the music was on. After turning the car off/on it worked. Everything else is flawless.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah -- i had TWO f-units that were ... well, f-ed...

So, I may be that 1/10 or 2/10 guy that bought the two defective units.. but needless to say, i'm happy for all F-unit owners that are lovin' that unit -- i wish mine were reliable b/c i'd love to have kept it and saved the cash and enjoyed that sweet interface/gui.

Nonetheless I love the kenwood, and just purchased a 6140 for my dad-in-law

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I just ordered everything I need:

F90BT
JDM DD KIT
PAC Steering wheel control
Nissan Antenna adapter
Sub amp & kit

I am about to do the install this week. I have a question about the bracket that holds the stereo in place to the JMB piece, where is this located?
Does it come with the F90BT?

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No more JDM finisher gap with double din: pics inside