Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple amp replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple amp replacement

Ok, I've been searching for awhile and I've concluded that I cannot find what I am looking for. If someone else can answer for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I have an avic d-3 HU with all stock bose components/amp. Problem is, sound is low and crappy.

Now, I've read that replacing the amp will fix this problem.

I am no audio head and have no desire for a huge/loud/quality system; just the stock sound with an aftermarket HU - which I lost due to the new HU.

Will there be any issues with replacing JUST the bose amp? What kind of amp should I purchase?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't imagine you would run into any problems just replacing the stock amp. Just keep in mind, if you have a coupe, you have SIX speakers, not four. You could opt to just not connect the speakers which are in the side panels in the back seat. I mean, I don't have any pictures of the connector, but I remember essentially you have an audio signal (RCAs) going from the HU to the amp,a remote wire, of course power and ground, and signals going from the amp to each of the speakers via speaker wire. I don't know what the power requirements of the stock speakers are, so you might be guessing at what would be a sufficient enough amount of power. Perhaps someone else can chime in with some of this information.

Have fun mounting the amp down in the stock location (if you choose to do it that way). How much did your HU setup cost you in total?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Paid about 650 back in uhh july last year.

I just found out that I have the 7551 harness.

I was reading that all I would need to do is swap out for the 7550 harness to retain stock sound with new HU.

How hard is this harness swap? I never really messed with wiring/splicing/etc. Main reason why I bought my HU pre-wired and ready to plug in.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure what the power handling of the stock speakers are, but keep in mind that they are 2ohm speakers when looking for an amp, so depending on the amp, you might be getting a little extra power out of it.. Also, make sure you check out the wiring diagram so you know which wires to tap in to for the speaker to hook up to your amp.