Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

US Spec installation question/ problem (taking off the dang trim piece)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Spec installation question/ problem (taking off the dang trim piece)

Hi All,

I'm really hoping someone can help me.

I'm trying to install a US Spec adapter into my 2006 G35 (AT) for iphone integration.

I've mainly been following the tutorial in

http://www.myg35mods.com/tutorials/ipod/print.html

but I've been looking at every tutorial that I can find.

I'm having trouble with step 6 - which from what everone says is an easy one. Its the step below:

I can't get the dang trim piece off with a plastic stapula. I've busted 2 already, and when trying to remove the lower clips, I fear I may have broken them.. there was resistance, resistance, and suddenly no resistance.. followed the sound of something metal falling.

And the trim piece still doesn't move.

I'm not sure where the upper clips are located either.

If I could get any hints, or any one is in the Toronto area (specifically Mississauga area) this weekend and would like to give me a hand. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks (and thanks for the tutorials, they look awesome, if I could only get that piece off).

Attached Thumbnails US Spec installation question/ problem (taking off the dang trim piece)-step6.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Doing that part was a little tough for me the first time i did it as well. All of the clips are really tight the first time. Dont be afraid to use a good amount of force. The two bottom clips are close to the corner, just wedge whatever youre using maybe half an inch from the corner on the side. You will be able to pull it up a little bit, but you need to pry it up until you hear a nice click, youll know when you get it up enough. When you start prying it up, you can wedge youre tool in a little deaper to get better leverage too. Also, it might be helpful or a little easier if you do both sides. Pry one side up as much as you think you can, then hold it while doing the other side, and force it all the way up until yo hear/feel the click. After that the whole bottom part should be fully out of the clips.

The top part is easier once you get the bottom ones. The clips are maybe half and inch to an inch from where it start to curve upward. When I did it, I just used a metal putty knife, since I didnt have a plastic one lying around. Plastic would be better so you dont have to worry about ripping the upholstery. Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks!! I'll try it this afternoon. Its reassuring to know that you need to apply some force. (always worried about breaking something)

Old 05-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Ya...I know what you mean. It took me a while the first time cause I thought I was going to break everything when prying them off. The hardest part for me though was the top piece above the clock.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Matthaios, I was able to do it today!! Sounds amazing, and looks great.. I'll post some pictures later.

I had a couple of tough parts. The one described above. The piece above the clock was not too bad for me, but those side pieces I thought I was going to pull a muscle!! The instructions say lift up and slightly to the side, then pull towards you. One important step is to make sure the bottom piece clears the harness on the bottom. Then it lifts really nicely. Before that.. I struggled for 30 minutes.

The piece of struggled with, was because I couldn't read directions... Put the car in drive before starting! .. (can't get the trim piece above out without it.)

Thanks again for all your help Matthois, and those that wrote all the tutorials.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by scrubca
Hi All,

I'm really hoping someone can help me.

I'm trying to install a US Spec adapter into my 2006 G35 (AT) for iphone integration.

I've mainly been following the tutorial in

http://www.myg35mods.com/tutorials/ipod/print.html

but I've been looking at every tutorial that I can find.

I'm having trouble with step 6 - which from what everone says is an easy one. Its the step below:

I can't get the dang trim piece off with a plastic stapula. I've busted 2 already, and when trying to remove the lower clips, I fear I may have broken them.. there was resistance, resistance, and suddenly no resistance.. followed the sound of something metal falling.

And the trim piece still doesn't move.

I'm not sure where the upper clips are located either.

If I could get any hints, or any one is in the Toronto area (specifically Mississauga area) this weekend and would like to give me a hand. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks (and thanks for the tutorials, they look awesome, if I could only get that piece off).
Yeah I did this mod yesterday. Had a little bit of trouble with this same gear box trim, realized that it wasnt in Drive. Once I switched it to drive, and tried again, the trim came up easily.

As a side note to anyone else doing a USA Spec install for an Iphone 3G, and notice a high pitch noise coming from the speakers, just use the older USA spec cable that doesnt charge the iphone3G, and attach a scosche passport charging adapter to it. I've had that problem with my maxima and my G35. solved the problem both times.