Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Component Speaker Discussion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component Speaker Discussion

Hey everyone!

I am getting ready for the double din install (still searching around for a JDM kit and AC controller which is a big PITA) but anyway i used to run the diamound audio HEX PRO 6.5s in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Anyway I sold that car and have the G and definitely want to upgrade the system. (BOSE=Better of with Something Else)

So anyway I have done my searches (I think) and haven't really found any threads on people's experiences with component speakers in their G's. I am very curious to see what everyone has ran/been happy with.

I will most likely be ordering from Crutchfield so components seen on their website would probably be most helpful to me but I do not want to limit this thread to their products only. Clearly the price range is drastic (I don't think anyone is looking to spend 4k on the Focal Utopias) but as I learned from my Diamond Audio speakers you really do get what you pay for.

Thanks for posting everyone!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 AM
no one has any input on component speakers??? all these custom system's in everyone's G's and no one has anything to say about speakers???

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
its been discussed numberous time, thats why no one posted

best thing you can do is find a set you like

some people like brand A and others like brand B

Some people like alot of tweeter screaming at them

some are like me and love alot of mid bass

If you liked the Diamonds try them in your car agian

Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Alright if thats the case send me a link. I searched and found nothing. All I see is sub talk. The purpose of this thread was to "find a set I like". It was to hear input from people about brand a and brand b. I have really only had one set of components so I didn't know which ones have mid bass or which ones have high end. Either way you have not provided any information to me.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
What is your price range roughly?

Do you plan on running them with an amp?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by muskamatt
Alright if thats the case send me a link. I searched and found nothing. All I see is sub talk. The purpose of this thread was to "find a set I like". It was to hear input from people about brand a and brand b. I have really only had one set of components so I didn't know which ones have mid bass or which ones have high end. Either way you have not provided any information to me.
You will be surprised what you can get for not much $$$. Dont think you have to go out and throw down 1-2K for a component set. I put 4 of these
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-042

and these

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=277-060

in my wife's LS400 to replace the stockers and was blown away how clean and detailed they are. My wife couldnt believe I only spent $250 shipped. And that's with the stock HU and cheap 6db caps, cant imagine how good they would be with a decent amp and x-over.

So for $225.00 you could have 4 mids and tweets that will sound amazing. Get or wire up a good 3rd order butterworth filter network and you'll be smiling.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 AM
dont mean to jack your thread dude..but do you guys know if a the JL XR series component set will fit in the doors? mainly the 1" tweeter in the stock tweeter location on a 04 sedan..

Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
i definitely plan on running an amp. I want this to be LOUD. Even if i don't listen to it that loud all the time there is nothing better than just a super loud system.

So anyway I was definitely going to run an amp but i was debating between running a four channel amp with nice fronts and nice rears to fill the whole G
or
running a 2 channel amp for just the fronts (therefore getting nicer speakers for the fronts) and then just running the rear speakers (a nice set of coaxials or a low end components) but then just run the rears from the head unit (i want to go with a kenwood just still having trouble getting the JDM DD kit)

price range is pretty negotiable (but not absurd) but if its the second option i would probably be willing to spend up to 400 on a set of components.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I thought of making a soundstage as well but then I thought that a full sound is just better IMO. That is just my opinion as others will attest. I went with the Boston Acoustics Pro60 SEs for the fronts and the back doors. They were on sale at Crutchfield for $499 a set and these get LOUD while remaining accurate. These speakers are very versatile as well...you can mount the tweeter on the speaker or run as a component. I will keep them components in the front and run them as co-ax in the rear.

If you are going the same route after you make up your mind, run a four channel amp. The only thing I have left to order is the sub. I finally decided on the Boston Acoustics SG555 in the sealed box.

Have you tried calling Riverside Infiniti for your JDM? Even if they do not have one in stock, you can still get it within a couple of weeks if it is backordered. Be sure to get the "Dual Climate" JDM. This thing is cleeeeeean. Definitely high end quality.

What have you decided?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey Muskamatt,
Did you ever decide on a set of components?

I’m also in the process of changing out the front/rear speakers and Bose amp and looking for suggestions. There are just so many speaker options (especially if changing out the amp) that suggestions to narrow down the choices would be nice. Similar to you, I’ve also really haven’t found many threads when I searched.

For what its worth, I swung by a local shop yesterday and they recommended a set of Kenwood Excelon components. It bigger, 6 ¾”, but the guy said it would definitely fit (he just installed it in another Nissan).

Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM
hey sage i haven't decided on the components yet because i have spent all my time trying to track down a DD JDM kit. it has really been a PITA!

so considering the kit is probably going to be so expensive as well as the head unit and all that i wanted to just run fronts off a 2 channel amp and then just run either the bose or same basic coaxials off the head unit for the time being.

bucszilla has made me eye those boston acoustics pro 60ses (even though they are freakin expensive) so Ill probably end up with a pair of those.

oh and bucszilla, i pm'ed tony@riverside and he said anywhere from 3-15 weeks!!!! three would be fine but risking fifteen weeks is just not gonna happen. I am working on some leads though i will let you guys know how it goes.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 AM
I run infinity perfect kappa 6.5 components with kappa 6.5 co-ax and a infinity kappa 5 channel amp. Sounds perfect

Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Go ahead and back order them even though 15 weeks is ridiculous, you will not be billed until the JDM kit ships...

..shop around until then. My guess is that they will ship within the first few weeks. I would order and call them every week on an update lol. You can also get it elsewhere but most likely you will be in the predicament.

Good choice on the Bostons...you will be impressed!