Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Double din - newbie is all confused...please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Double din - newbie is all confused...please help

Hi all,

Just wanted to start out that I did some searches, read some thread as well as the sticky but I am a total newbie when it comes to radio and the only aftermarket radio I ever installed was an aftermarket DIN for my sentra (done at a shop). With that being said, my radio is having all sorts of issue. It started yesterday with grinding motor noise and the cd was stuck. I clipped out 3 of the 6 cds and then disconnect the battery but now it saids "check disk" and anytime I press the cd button the radio shuts off. The radio still works though. Then I found out alot of people actually have this radio issue. Now here are my questions.

1) Can this be fixed? I don't want to spend 2 hours ripping off the console and chances are I won't know what I am doing or what cables to look for.

2) Can anyone explain this double din? and why does everyone have to purchase another double din to install a radio? I read that someone said you don't need to purchase aftermarket double din but the radio won't flash afterward. Anyone has pictures of aftermarket radio with stock oem double din bracket?

I don't want to spend too much on the radio and probably don't want to go OEM if it cost $600 or more just to have this problem again down the road.

Thanks...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Tell me I am not going crazy...do I really need ALL these?

05 and 06 Double Din A-C Control
A/C CONTROLLER FOR DOUBLE DIN KIT.
PRICE: $199.95

05 and 06 Double Din Bracket
PRICE: $49.95

05 and 06 Double Din Finisher
05-07 DOUBLE DIN FINISHER
PRICE: $133.59

Then on top of all that a DVD or NAV unit + installation.

WOW...are we talking about like $1000 +

I think I will have to live with no CD...

If I get it off ebay, will a 03-04 unit with/without bose work? Or I have to wait for a 05 unit? does a 05 unit with bose works?

THIS IS SHOCKING considering my sentra only cost me about $200 bucks for an aftermarket radio (including installation).

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doubl din just refers to the size, in either case you are in for some money....the G35 stereo comes as a single piece with the climate control panel, that is why if you replace the stereo for anything else you would need a new climate control. I am not sure if you need a finisher or not. The 03-04 Units will not work because they are a slightly different shape

The cheapest solution is to get an ipod integration kit, and just listen to the ipod. I have an 04 and have no mp3 capability, but my cd player works fine.

I ended up getting an ipod kit from eBay and wired it in myself, the whole thing costed me 300 with a 30gb ipod and I couldn't be happier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-05-INFINITI...3%3A1|294%3A50

Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Calcvictim
doubl din just refers to the size, in either case you are in for some money....the G35 stereo comes as a single piece with the climate control panel, that is why if you replace the stereo for anything else you would need a new climate control. I am not sure if you need a finisher or not. The 03-04 Units will not work because they are a slightly different shape

The cheapest solution is to get an ipod integration kit, and just listen to the ipod. I have an 04 and have no mp3 capability, but my cd player works fine.

I ended up getting an ipod kit from eBay and wired it in myself, the whole thing costed me 300 with a 30gb ipod and I couldn't be happier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-05-INFINITI...3%3A1|294%3A50
I guess I am out of luck. It's hard to justify putting $1,000 bucks in to get my cds to work. That's insane.

Not sure if I want to get an ipod kit though. Definitely not as convenient using it vs a head unit.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
I guess I am out of luck. It's hard to justify putting $1,000 bucks in to get my cds to work. That's insane.

Not sure if I want to get an ipod kit though. Definitely not as convenient using it vs a head unit.
It is just as convenient, let's you switch music by playlist, artist, track, whatever, all from the headunit. It controls the ipod from the headunit, and you get id3 tags.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah, audio upgrades come with some serious work/cash!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
It is just as convenient, let's you switch music by playlist, artist, track, whatever, all from the headunit. It controls the ipod from the headunit, and you get id3 tags.
hmmm...

so where is the ipod stored? and how is it being charged?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
hmmm...

so where is the ipod stored? and how is it being charged?
in my car the ipod is in the armrest, obviously you can run the wire any where you want, maybe the glove box. It gets charged through the same cable, it is not an auxiliary jack but it uses an all digital interfaces between the adapter and the ipod, the dapter plug into the factory headunit instead of satelite radio.

my kit is made by Metra but works the same way as this one
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=22

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by MJION
Yeah, audio upgrades come with some serious work/cash!
Yeah. It also depends on vehicles as well. I am sure some vehicles have the double din that is not attached to any other parts so it's swappable.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
in my car the ipod is in the armrest, obviously you can run the wire any where you want, maybe the glove box. It gets charged through the same cable, it is not an auxiliary jack but it uses an all digital interfaces between the adapter and the ipod, the dapter plug into the factory headunit instead of satelite radio.

my kit is made by Metra but works the same way as this one
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=22
how hard is it to do the installation? Any pics of your setup?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 PM
the installation was not very hard, there was a diy on this site somewhere explaining how to remove the headunit. I was extra meticulous, wrapping the wire in foam pads so it doesn't rattle and it took like 2.5 hours for everything.....it's not hard but I wouldn't say it's super easy, it is easier then replacing the headunit since you do not need to do any kind of wire splicing/soldering

this is where I wired mine to, it also has an auxiliary input but I never use it

Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
the installation was not very hard, there was a diy on this site somewhere explaining how to remove the headunit. I was extra meticulous, wrapping the wire in foam pads so it doesn't rattle and it took like 2.5 hours for everything.....it's not hard but I wouldn't say it's super easy, it is easier then replacing the headunit since you do not need to do any kind of wire splicing/soldering

this is where I wired mine to, it also has an auxiliary input but I never use it
Thanks for the picture. Well, I guess I'll have to make sure it's broken first. If it is then I may want to look for a used oem head unit from the forum or ebay before I look at the Ipod route. Thanks again...

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the picture. Well, I guess I'll have to make sure it's broken first. If it is then I may want to look for a used oem head unit from the forum or ebay before I look at the Ipod route. Thanks again...
Mikeee --

i have OEM '06 stereo parts (from a G35x) that I can sell you -- 100% functional and it'll go in yours no problem -- PM me and we'll talk price if you're interested

(OEM Bose radio/trim, CD-changer, etc all came out of a 2006G35x when i put in a kenwood DDin headunit)

Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
peter would you be interested in selling your g35 double din trim piece?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Yes its expensive but look at it this way. You will have (depending on unit)

Nav
Bluetooth hands free phone which is a safety must have
Ipod/MP#
Dvd
Plus music off a thumb drive
You could addon a rear camera for like 80 bucks.

Not to mention it totally makes the interior of these cars. Of all my mods I must say I never regret this. When you sell your car you pull it out and sell it. You wont lose much money cause these swaps will always be in demand.