Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Non-Bose, Non-Premium double DIN conv.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Bose, Non-Premium double DIN conv.

Sorry for the lame request as I read the stickies and other posts, but still unsure what the heck I need to do this and have never torn into the dash on this car.

I have this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/AVH-P4100DVD coming in a few days.

I need to order the JDM dash kit too, but I have a black/charcoal interior and dash. I called Grubbs and they say only titanium is available. Is that true?
http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=3060

Also, since I do not have premium/dual climate control, can I just use my existing A/C control board and attach to the new faceplate? If so, what parts would I need to order here?
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4343

And if its true that no black is available from JDM, what is the best kind of paint to use so that it doesnt look terrible or start to flake off? I refuse to order the Metra, rubber button junk. I would rather have titanium than that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 PM
1) Try Riverside Infiniti, and try ebay for the JDM kit

2) You have to use the a/c controller that comes with the JDM kit -- yours will not work.

3) if you decide to paint a titanium one, make sure you prime it first with a spray paint type primer, then use a flat black spray paint and take your time to apply one thin coat at a time. since it's inside the vehicle, it shouldn't flake off.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
1) Try Riverside Infiniti, and try ebay for the JDM kit

2) You have to use the a/c controller that comes with the JDM kit -- yours will not work.

3) if you decide to paint a titanium one, make sure you prime it first with a spray paint type primer, then use a flat black spray paint and take your time to apply one thin coat at a time. since it's inside the vehicle, it shouldn't flake off.

Thanks alot. Just dont want to order titanium if someone knows where to get black, and dont want to order A/C controller if not needed. Is there a particular brand or type of primer/paint that work better on plastic?

I'll give Riverside a call and see what they have in stock. Had some bad experiences with Ebay. Most good, but some bad. Not worth the headaches IMO.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
If you go to a hobby shop, they usually have primer sprays for plastic --you can also try home depot and they have krylon paints that are designed for plastic -- outdoor use--- so you know it'll last "indoor"

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
If you go to a hobby shop, they usually have primer sprays for plastic --you can also try home depot and they have krylon paints that are designed for plastic -- outdoor use--- so you know it'll last "indoor"

Good news. Riverside can get the black JDM kit. Bad news. Both Black and Titanium are on backorder for, get this.......................4-16 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like my new DVD receiver will be getting "aged" in my closet all summer. Has anybody ever modded the stock piece and fabbed out a decent looking trim around the HU?