Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Driver side speaker not working??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side speaker not working??

Hey everybody what's up? Recently I bought a 2004 g35 6mt with the Bose sound system. Anyhow, The other day I was pulling into the parking lot at work while listening to the new Green day CD and I drove over a small trench or canal in the pavement that had been cut through the pavement to put in some underground utilities of some kind, anyway the trench had been filled in but it's still about 2" deep and it runs all the way across the pavement so it's unavoidable. So I was only going about 5mph when I hit it and when I did I noticed that all the sound coming from the drivers side of my vehicle just shut off. Anyway, so now all the sound from the CD player seems to be deriving from the right side door speaker and I don't know how to fix it. I tried adjusting the balance all the way to the left, but that just causes the sound to get really quiet almost mute, you can just barely hear anything coming from the driver side door speaker. However, when I turn on the radio the driver side door speaker seems to work fine. So why is it that the driver side door speaker seems to work only when the radio is on and doesn't when I try to listen to a CD, and is their anyway to fix this? I don't want to go tearing into the door speaker of my new car, is something like this covered under a warranty or if not how much would it cost to take to a dealership?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
I know it's the not the answer you're looking for, but whenever something breaks it's a great time to start upgrading. Can't think of why a speaker would work on radio but not CD from the same device. As for the dealer and warranty coverage, if you're still under your 60k miles and however many years you should be covered, but call to find out before they start working on it and charging you.

Not much help here, I know... but if it were something stupid/easy like a loose connection it would probably be affecting both the CD and Radio functions. For what it's worth, I doubt it's something to do with the door speaker. If it were a loose connection there (something jarring loose from a trench at the speaker itself) you wouldn't have sound from Radio or CD. Best guess is something in the head unit itself might have gone bad, but I can only guess from a distance.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
common problem with 04 Bose HU.. mine does the same thing and unfortunately, it's no longer covered under warranty since im past 3 years

if it bothers u that much, either look to buy a used one, or like previous post said, look to upgrade =)

Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
My frickin car just started doing the same exact thing 2 days ago.... also an '04 G35 Coupe 6MT.

Sound seems to only come from the right side speakers when I am using the CD Player, but the radio will emit sound from all 4. It's got to be a problem with the head-unit. If it was the speaker itself, or a problem with the wiring in between the speaker and the head unit, it would do it all the time and not just when playing CD's. I didn't hit any big bumps or anything, I just noticed that one day it randomly stopped emitting sound from the drivers side with no apparent action on my behalf causing it.

What an annoying, stupidass problem!

It's interesting that mine started doing it like a few days after yours did(the OP).

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Ohio G Club moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the headunits in the 03-05 have many flaws and are often replaced for free at dealerships..how ever i dont beleive you are covered under warranty any longer, being you have an 04

Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a very common problem, I too have it. Do what I do, just smack the side of the HU a couple of times and the sound will come back.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me recently, but I didn't hit any bumps at all; actually I think all I hit was the break pedal and all the sound went to the right speakers. But after speeding up and playing with the volume levels, the sound came back to all speakers!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
^^^^ +1

Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have driver side door speaker for sale if you need em

Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 AM
haha welcome to the club!!!!!! there's a lot of us with the same annoying problem!!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wtc

Some issue here, time to upgrade!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
mine was dusty. and the dealer said they cleaned the speaker connector (first one coming off the speaker). works fine!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of info on here about that.

Its a corroded/loose ribbon connector inside the HU. You can take it apart and trim the ribbon and re-seat the connector with some hot glue. You might as well plan to replace the HU with an aftermarket one for all the work thats involved anyways.

Mine does it too, when i hit bumps or if i hit the brakes a lil too hard. Give it some gas an it comes back on! lol Kinda annoying.
Only happens on CD though, not radio.....CDs skip alot when they r cold too.

Ill have to deal with ipod/FM transmitter until the spring......xmas time is no time/money for new toys for me haha.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I promise I am not kidding around when I say this, but try hitting the left side of the console with a pretty hard hit. Hit it right around where the Tape player is, but on the left side, so the side that faces the driver's door. Learned this trick from a Nissan salesman. Been using it ever since.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by willis555
I promise I am not kidding around when I say this, but try hitting the left side of the console with a pretty hard hit. Hit it right around where the Tape player is, but on the left side, so the side that faces the driver's door. Learned this trick from a Nissan salesman. Been using it ever since.
This is a sign of a ribbon cable going out. The real fix can be found here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g-channel.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driver side speaker not working??