Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

mp3 alternatives to Phatbox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mp3 alternatives to Phatbox?

Most logical one is PAC audio input. To extend the functionality you can get iPod or iRiver H120-140 hardwired with big remote in the location of your preference.

And this is the way I will probably go, but before I do that I wonder if anyone knows of any mp3 cd-changer that could be wired into trunk SAT prewire. If you can connect 6000 song Phatbox, why can't you do the same with 300 song 6-disc CD-changer? If SAT is not an option, can you wire cd-changer to HU directly?

My main goals are:
1. To listen to mp3s without modulation and cassete adapters.
2. To be able to use steering controls
3. Not pay $900 for phatbox with 30 day wait.

With Ipod/iRiver I'm only achieving 1 and 3.

Suggestions please.

Thank you.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-24-2004, 03:15 AM
Re: mp3 alternatives to Phatbox?

Aside from the phatbox, the only CD changers that will work that I'm aware of are the Nissan and USA-Spec CD changers, neither of which are MP3 capable.

Soundgate appears to make a device called the ALNS1 which converts the Nissan N-BUS to an Alpine changer but I can find very little information about that device and which Alpine CD changers are actually supported.

Our head units do support external CD changers in conjunction with the internal changer. We have not yet determined whether it's possible to use both SAT and CD-changer at the same time on the G35.

I can't stress enough how worth it the phatbox has been. It's so hassle free and clean. No sloppy remotes, in-dash docks, or wires. After using the Phatbox the only other route I would consider is replacing the HU enitrely and using something like the Alpine-Ipod control, but by the time you implement that solution between the double din kit and the steering wheel control adapter, you'll be in over $900 anyway and you'll have lost the stock look. I *really* balked at the price of the Phatbox, but like so many others now that I've actually used it I have zero regrets, it's worth every penny.

-- Rob

Old 07-24-2004, 03:26 AM

Thank you so much. Google first search on ALNS1
brought me here:

http://www.soundgate.com/products/cd...n-infiniti.htm

I will be giving them a call on Monday.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-24-2004, 03:30 AM

I cannot believe how easy that was.

http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/soundalfd1.html

"Compatible with the Alpine CHM-S630 6 Disc CD Changer as well as the Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc MP3 CD Changer when used in conjunction with the Alpine KCA-130B Interface Adapter"

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I know its not the exact same way, but I'm running my old CHA-S634 changer off an Alpine FM Modulator.. it works very well, gives me song titles (via id3 tags) which this solution wouldn't, and I can still control volume on the steering wheel. I bought the modulator for $13 bucks on ebay (brand new!) and then you need the 2 antenna adapters which are about $14 bucks.. I bet you that adapter is at least $75-80 bucks.. maybe more.

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

308022-rffarshot.jpg

Old 07-24-2004, 12:31 PM

this is what you can do. hardwire an ipod, buy the wireless remote add on and buy the pac audio swi-x. that will run you additional 100 dollars, but its still cheaper than the phat box. Especially when the new ipod is cheaper now. hope this helps.

04 G35C 6mt/aero kit/nav/premium

Old 07-25-2004, 10:25 AM

For me not having to FM modulate in particular, and being able to use the steering wheel / HU to flip through tracks would be a lot more valuable than track titles and definitely worth a ~$50 difference. I don't get track titles with the Phatbox in CD mode, either, but it's not a big deal since I already know the songs in my collection (I could get titles if I switched to the SAT emulation firmware).

I don't know how folder navigation works with the Alpine MP3 changer, though, although I'd probably be quite content even if I just had 6 different Mp3 discs, treating each disc like a different "playlist". But I tend to like to have large playlists of hit songs and randomize them. More "album" oriented listeners would probably need to have the display and the ability to quickly navigate through the folder names.

Sounds like a neat, clean and fairly low cost way to add a lot of MP3s to me. Although I still don't regret the Phatbox purchase I definitely would have looked at this route! Motop, if you do it definitely let us know how it goes because I'm pretty sure you'd be one of the first G35 coupe owners to try it. One of the guys at Phatbox connected a standard Nissan CD changer to my car and it worked just fine, so I don't forsee any problems.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:05 PM

And update from the company manufacturing ALNS1.

"Andrew,

We are testing a new interface for the Nissan cars. We hope this passes testing and will be available upon approval. Keep in touch for the next couple of days for this interface. Thanks CHET. "

I will definately keep in touch with them and keep you guys updated.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 AM

I called the company and they said that the unit is in stock, but it does not work on the stereos that have the SAT button, as it is a "totally different protocol".

Has anyone heard anything different about this?

-Chris

Old 07-28-2004, 02:04 PM

I emailed the sales people and got a response to when the SAT-button enabled version will be available:

"The interface for use with the SAT button will be released late this year
hopefully. It is still being worked on. Thanks CHET."

-Chris