Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HELP!! Engine Swapped now Car Not Starting (Cranks)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP!! Engine Swapped now Car Not Starting (Cranks)

Wondering if anyone has any idea why my car isn't starting after replacing the engine. I installed new crank sensor, new cam sensors (both sides) new spark plugs, new ac compressor, new alternator, new power steering pump, replaced timing chain, tensioner, and tension "arm" Car is cranking fine, just wont start! Help!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Is their any fuel in it

Old 09-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Is their any fuel in it
Yes it has fresh fuel, i drained the old and put in new fuel. I pulled one of the plugs and it smells like gas so I know the pump is working...

Old 09-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Are you sure it isn't flooded because that can keep it from starting.

The following users liked this post:
brianuc4 (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Not sure. How do i make sure it isn't flooded?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by brianuc4
Not sure. How do i make sure it isn't flooded?
Oh jeez. Gas evaporates, give it some time. Not a good sign for you if you just asked that.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:41 PM
lol nevermind ill pull the plugs and let 'em dry in the sun tomorrow

Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by brianuc4
lol nevermind ill pull the plugs and let 'em dry in the sun tomorrow
With EFI cars flooding isn't really an issue. If you had spark it would have fired.

Check your grounds, and the crank position sensor. I don't know where to go from there because of the hundreds of things that could have been done wrong.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
With EFI cars flooding isn't really an issue. If you had spark it would have fired.

Check your grounds, and the crank position sensor. I don't know where to go from there because of the hundreds of things that could have been done wrong.
Thanks for the replies. I already installed a new crank sensor. So I was going to check for correct fuel pressure next. I'm also going to verify that the flywheel is aligned correctly

Old 09-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Yes, that goes along with checking the crank sensor. I know you put a new one in but it still needs a once over. Check the wiring for it too. If the sense elements aren't indexed on the flywheel properly that could cause similar symptoms.

Also do a relearn/ecu reset procedure. But that won't cause a no-start condition.

When you finished the chain install, did you crank the engine over manually a bunch of times to verify the timing marks always lined up?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Yes, that goes along with checking the crank sensor. I know you put a new one in but it still needs a once over. Check the wiring for it too. If the sense elements aren't indexed on the flywheel properly that could cause similar symptoms.

Also do a relearn/ecu reset procedure. But that won't cause a no-start condition.

When you finished the chain install, did you crank the engine over manually a bunch of times to verify the timing marks always lined up?
I cranked it after the chain install but only a couple times. Hopefully that's not the problem as i have to remove a bunch of stuff for access to the chain but I'll definitely check that

Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Forgot to mention the old crank sensor worked fine, so I reinstalled it and the car still won't start. Also the mechanic didn't have a reason to take the flywheel off when mating the engine and tranny, but I'm going to call and ask him if he did, possibly did it wrong

Old 04-04-2020, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver g35 6spd my 3.5 vq35de lowered currently blown motor....
Is there anymore info on this?? I just did an engine swap to mine about a week ago (old engine spun a rod bearing) I'm getting fuel, air, everything needed EXCEPT SPARK! I've replaced new since I put the motor in, crank sensor cam sensors (all 4) went through the complete wiring harness and all my grounds. I'm at a loss....

Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Where did you get your crank and cam sensors, if you didn't use OEM Genuine Nissan Parts or Hitachi sensors that can definitely be the problem because these cars don't like aftermarket sensors.

How did you verify you are getting fuel? Are your spark plugs actually WET (injectors opening) or are you just measuring fuel pressure, how many psi are you getting?

Did you perform all the resets necessary from section EC - Engine Controls under "basic service procedures" in the FSM ? Throttle closed position being the most important.

Did you replace the ENTIRE engine or just the long block?

Do you have a NATS/IVIS lockout when starting, is the security LED solid red while cranking?

Old 04-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver g35 6spd my 3.5 vq35de lowered currently blown motor....
I got Hitachi sensors from my local oreillys. I did do the resets to the ecm. The only thing that changed motor wise was block pistons and crankshaft. My original heads, timing covors, oil pans, and wiring harness. And I have cranked the motor over with out the plugs and you can see fuel in all 6 cylenders. I'm not sure on the fuel pressur. And as far as the security it blinks with out the key in and as I'm turning it over it's off. So I don't think it's locked out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Engine Swapped now Car Not Starting (Cranks)