Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

adding speakers in rear shelf?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding speakers in rear shelf?

Hey guys I've got a 06 G35 Premium and i'm just not happy with the crappy sound system. Every other car i've had the stock system has been sufficient but I think this Bose system is a joke. I've already replaced the door speakers with Infinity Kappa's and while better i'm still not happy. My biggest problem is that all the important speakers are all at foot level so the sound seems under you. My question is if its doable to install some speakers in the rear shelf area on either side of the stock subwoofer. Can you splice a wire from the amp to get power for these new added speakers? I would even be willing to kill the rear door speakers if I could get some speakers playing up high. Would I need to replace the Bose amp to make this work? Also i've read somewhere that the non-premium sedans have 6x9's in the rear shelf. If thats the case on the premium sedans, are the 6x9 holes already marked or partly cutout? Again i'm a noobie and im not going to be putting much money in this car, if I can just rig something decent here I will be happy. Thanks!!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Nobody have any ideas on this?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you're looking for good quality sound, I'd would not put speakers on the rear deck, in fact not even run rear speakers. Just run a nice set of comps up front and a sub in the back. By running rear speakers, espically on the the rear deck you will be pulling the image to the back of the car. Just having front speaker will keep the image solidly up in front of you. If you do run rear speakers keep them at a low level, just so you can barely percieve them for a bit of fill.

Try it, fade all the way to front and close your eyes, now start fading to the rear, you will start to notice that the sound starts to pull back and it's a bit distracting. listen for a few days only with front speakers running and you will get used to the sound, now when you have the rear speakers running the imaging will not sound right. It's hard to explain but, it just doesn't sound right.

I play with my settings all the time and I always go back to using just the front speakers and a sub.

IMO, spend the money you would have spent on the front and rear speakers on a better set of comps for the front.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
i have the same car as the OP -- i think the headunit is the weakest link -- i replaced my OEM bose HU with a Kenwood 8120 and NIGHT AND DAY difference.

Too bad you're fixed on just replacing or adding speakers -- HU, IMHO is the way to go -- it definitely improved the imaging -- which is effectively what you're saying the BOSE system lacks.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-17-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
OBs
I installed two 8 inch eminence speakers in my back deck and they sound amazing if you're looking for good vocals--they're not built for bass, so if you're not planning on installing a subwoofer or powering your stock speakers with a HU with a built-in amp I really wouldn't recommend the eminence. Although, they do sound crystal clear if you install some 1.5 inch tweeters you can find on EBay for $15 like I did and power the eminence and tweeters with a Kicker ZX650.4 or anything with similar wattage and 4 channels.

I would strongly look into them if you have a few hundred to drop on the upgrade because the eminence are cheap to buy ($80-120) but to get a rear deck custom built cost me $250.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys, i'm still not sure which way to go here. The big deal is that i'm just not happy with the car and i'm trying to take care of some of the things that **** me off about it with hopes that I will end up with something I can at least enjoy until I can pay it off some (had it 8 months) and get something else. I'm not looking to dump a ton of money into it when I have all intentions of getting rid of it as soon as I can. If I found a deal I could get rid of this car tomorrow. Maybe a new HU would be smart in my case though, could help be a selling point in the end and make it more enjoyable while I have it. One of the biggest reasons I thought the speakers would work better in the parcel shelf is to help cover some of the rattles back there and since they are close to ear level would maybe seem to cut down on road noise to people in the back seat. I've searched the forums and some people say the HU is to blame for the muddy sound, some say its the speakers, and some say it's the amp. I'm not sure where to go from here, but thanks to everyone who posted.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
if you are serious about it do some kick panels and get a good set of component speakers

you will need an amp and a new headunit also

you wont need rear speakers