Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound system help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound system help please

alright so i know NOTHING at all about soundsystems...and a friend told me that i could get a subwoofer from the flea market for a pretty good price and it will be pretty good! is this something i should get to amplify my bass and sound? i dont want anything too crazy but just something to make it a bit louder and the bass more too...please help! and how much should it approx cost? and is it easy to get installed? thanks!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM
I personally wouldn't get something like that at a flea market. I would go to a Best Buy or something to pick up a sub, box, and amp. If you are adding an aftermarket sub, you will need an amp. You can probably get everything and install for around $500

Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Depending on your goals this can be a very cheap, or very expensive project. I had the Bose system and pretty much changed it altogether. I like Rock so, my first goal was to improve the treble. I had all front speakers taken out and installed Boston Acoustic separate components and a JL amp. My next step will be a 12' subwoofer and another amp. By the time I'll be done, I'm looking at $2,500. I'm sure that if you just want more bass, a good JL amp and subwoofer, including instalation should run you $5-800. However, if you're picky about your audio like I am, you might get the bug and want really good quality sound, that costs $$$$. Whatever you do, don't buy non-warranty cheap stuff at a flea market. At least not for this car.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by sleev-les
I personally wouldn't get something like that at a flea market. I would go to a Best Buy or something to pick up a sub, box, and amp. If you are adding an aftermarket sub, you will need an amp. You can probably get everything and install for around $500
I woudn't go to Best Buy, either.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
What's your budget? Honestly, look into Mach 5 Audio. Great subs and good prices. There's a few other companies out there that are inexpensive, more geared to those who are in the audio scene. If you want to go with a "name brand" that people have heard of, look into Image Dynamics. Don't buy some cheap pre-fab box either, have someone make it for you, someone that knows what they are doing. You shouldn't spend more than $100-$150 for an enclosure. A person I know that builds great enclosures is BJ Fisher...check out his website, www.fishercustoms.com and once you settle on a sub or subs, see what he charges and audio shops charge.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Calvin
I woudn't go to Best Buy, either.
If he's not looking to spend to much money, that would work for him. As far as install, I agree for the most part. I install part time there and wouldn't let any of the guys I work with touch my car, but I've been doing install professionally for 10 years and take pride in my work. You just need to find an installer that knows what they are doing. I do know all my audio is coming from there since I get a hell of a discount, plus they are carrying the Kappa series..