Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose factory Tweeter upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009 | 05:09 PM
|
Bose factory Tweeter upgrade

I have a set of old Infinity kappa 5.25in components. The speakers have never been used and are still in the box so I figured with an adapter they would be better than the stock 6.5in speakers even though they are smaller. After looking at the forums I realized that they won't work (or al least won't work well) because they are 4 ohm speakers. My question is can I at least use the kappa tweeters with the bose factory 6.5in to get a little more highs. If so, should I just hook them up directy to the stock wires or use the passive crossovers that came with the speakers. I will upgrade eventually to a good set of 2ohm speakers but I am trying to work with what I have for the time being (I'm short on money right now).

Also has anyone used 4ohm speakers with the stock amp? I know they won't be as loud but will they still be better than stock???

I just can't stand the sound of the stock bose system and want to try and get a little more out of it using what I have if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-30-2009 | 09:20 AM
What year is your car? I read somewhere that the front speakers are 4 ohm - not sure what years that refereed to. I have an 04' AWD sedan and was shocked at the poor sounds coming from the Bose system. Who could have ever listened to that and said "Yup - this sounds great, let's sell it to Infiniti"??? I have e-mailed a reputable local car audio shop to see if they are familiar with this car/Bose combination - If I get any good info I will post it here. I really hope something reasonable can be done to improve upon the 'wet blanket' sound coming out of this thing...

Old 07-30-2009 | 09:31 AM
you can use the speakers they just won't sound right with out an amp. The bose amp is crap so i would get a new amp and run the components and the other speakers. I just redid my entire system and OMG it sounds So loud and Crispy clean. so I would suggest changing out your entire system in the long run you will not be disappointed.

Old 07-30-2009 | 09:41 AM
A complete makeover would be the ideal situation - but right now I am looking for the most bang for my buck. Would simply swapping out for better tweeters actually help? How about replacing the amp but leaving the Bose speakers - would that at least liven things up a bit? I am not after LOUD or BASS - just want something that has a somewhat accurate sound - something this Bose system is not even close to!

Thanks,

Chris.

Old 07-31-2009 | 03:15 PM
|
Thanks for the replies. My car is an 2006 coupe. From what I hear the front speakers are 2 ohm so I would think the tweeters are as well. I just figured I would at least replace the tweeters for now until I get the money for a good set of 2ohm speakers. Does anyone know if this will even be worth doing (or replacing the fronts with 4ohm speakers) since I have a good set just lying around.

Thanks Again.