Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What is the wire gauge of BOSE stock wire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the wire gauge of BOSE stock wire?

Anybody know what the gauge of the stock BOSE system speaker wire is? Any problems hooking up an amp like the jl 500/5 to the stock speaker wire? If not, what is the best way yo run new wire to and in the front doors?

Old 08-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Re: What is the wire gauge of BOSE stock wire?

bump bump

Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 PM

My guess would be something like 16ga. It was a lot thicker than many other cars I have seen. It's a little thinner than you'd use if you were running your own wire, but not much. Also, It is also a huge PITA to run new wires into the doors. I use two JL 300 amps, and only used new heavy speaker wire to the sub. I would stay with the stock wire in the doors; it's not so thin to be any sort of problem.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 08-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Sound Advice

You can use the stock wire with no problem but put the crossovers back near the stock amp where you catch the speaker wires.

Do you hear me?

Old 08-11-2004, 04:35 PM

Right on, Thx guys. I was hoping somebody had used the stock wire because I HATE to tear up my new baby too much.

This is what I am thinking:

stock BOSE HU (want differential outputs)

JL 500/5 or two 300/4's (we'll see what is available used

Old Boston Pro 6.5's to start in the front, coaxial 6.5's in the back and maybe 2 Boston RM9's on the back shelf crossed over for bass. I don't want a lot of bass.

Oh, and the audiocontrol EQS.. looks pretty nice and works with the differential outputs.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:57 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You can use the stock wire with no problem but put the crossovers back near the stock amp where you catch the speaker wires.

<hr></blockquote>
I did not do this,.....nor do most installs I have seen here. There is plenty of room in the doors for the crossovers, which is where I put my MB Quart crossovers; one in each of the 4 doors.

My two concerns with wiring it the way you suggest is: Do the tweeter wires for the front doors run all the way to the amp location? (I don't think so.) And for the rear speakers, if you want to run components, then you definately have to run separate wires for the tweeters, as the stock only provides for a single driver, (creating a real hassle running wires through an already-full door grommet, if you have a sedan). Much easier to put the crossovers in the doors, but I guess your logic is different when doing a true "Pro" install where you might want to show off the sponsors cool looking crossovers.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:09 AM

robinusa:

Do you have a coupe or sedan? The 500/5 is quite large. If you have a sedan, a 300/4 for the 2 pairs of components and 300/2 bridged for the sub is a very good fit. You could also use a 250/1 (which is specifically designed for a sub), but it is a little smaller physically. Take a look at my profile for the pictures of how the amps fit on the front trunk wall. For a coupe, a 500/5 might fit in the stock amp location.

Also, beware of buying JL new on the internet. JL prohibits all internet sales, so most vendors remove the S/N stickers so an item can't be traced back to them. This will void all warantees. I chose to buy this way, but I was taking a chance, (my amps were fine!) Given JL's stupid policy, it's still amazing how much you can save by buying on the internet.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Sound Advice

Actually, the tweeter wires do run all the way to the amp location, that's why placing the crossover back there is the cleanest way. But there is room to put it in the door too. You are right, you do need to run extra wire for the back doors if you want components but you could just do coax. The rear is only for fill anyway.

Do you hear me?

Old 08-22-2004, 07:42 PM

Hi Racer, I will have a 2005 Coupe soon. One way or another the 500/5 will get in there! I have to make room for my audiocontrol EQS, too. I hope all this stuff will sound good together. I will have my old boston 6.5 pro series up front and I am looking for some used Boston RM6's and RM9's. I don't want to spend too much. I saw a pair of RM9's on ebay for 20 bucks no reserve.. I got distracted at work and I missed out. Oh well! I'm glad most agree the stock wiring is fine, I hate running wire. I hope the MP3 feature rumor is true for the 2006 coupe.. with MP3 and XM, what else do you need?