Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC SWI-PS help

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAC SWI-PS help

so, im trying to install the PAC SWI-PS with my f90bt in my '06 coupe and i just cannot figure out how to program this damn thing. It seems like it wont recognize when i push the steering wheel buttons up. i press the program button and the light turns on, i press volume up and nothing. but if i were to press volume down, it programs that as volume up. same goes with the seek buttons on the steering wheel. i followed this thread about installing and programming the PAC SWI-PS which is for an '04 coupe, but i figured it was the same instructions even though i have an '06. the only thing i found different is when he talked about the G35 steering wheel control harness only having 4 wires (red, green, yellow and light green with a white stripe). i didnt see a harness that only had 4 wires, but im pretty sure what i tapped into is the G35's steering wheel harness since the PAC is recognizing some of the buttons. what im not sure of is since my harness is different than what he described in the thread, was i supposed to tap the same color wires? i tapped the 150ohm resistor into the green wire and the 47ohm resistor into the red wire.

i figure if one of the resistors was broken, the whole thing wouldnt work, but maybe im wrong.

Last edited by bina12834; 08-26-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
it's a pain in the *** to program these things.
read the instructions, look at the wiring, read the instructions, look at the box and get familiar with it, read the instructions again.
They are miserable to program. If you have a multimeter you can double check the resistance of the resistors you have there

Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
yea...i understand the instructions and how to program it and everything, i just dont get why the thing doesnt recognize/register "up" button presses on both my volume and seek steering wheel controls, but yet it easily programs the "down" button presses for both the volume and seek switches.

i might just stop by radio shack and buy some new resistors to solder in there along with something hard so they dont bend or break.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree with Troy -- check your resistors. If it's recognizing SOME of the steering buttons,. like you said -- you probably have the correct harness.

Did you use the resistors provided in the PAC packaging? How did you house (encase) the resistors attaching to the G OEM wires?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I agree with Troy -- check your resistors. If it's recognizing SOME of the steering buttons,. like you said -- you probably have the correct harness.

Did you use the resistors provided in the PAC packaging? How did you house (encase) the resistors attaching to the G OEM wires?
yea im going to check the resistors, but i figured if some of the buttons were recognized, then the resistors werent the problem, but maybe they are. if/when i replace them i might make a stint(like you would with a broken/jammed finger) to hold them against something hard so i know they wont break.

what i did with the resistors was solder them to the white wire, then i wrapped them in a ton of electrical tape, both individually(so they wouldnt touch eachother) then together(to re-inforce). then i soldered a short length of wire onto the other end of each resistor, then t-tapped the short length of wires to the correct wires on the G35 harness.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I just installed this about a month ago and the programming part is easy. It was figuring out what resistors to use and the soldering that was a PITA. Some of the color bands on the resistors looked alike since they are so small. Did you use the PAC website?
http://76.12.243.71/swixprogramming/...ehicles&ID=211

Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
yea im pretty sure i used the right resistors, but like i said before im going to take them apart and check them again to make sure theyre not broken.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mine wasnt programming too. so i checked the resistors and one of them was broken.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by jin22gt
mine wasnt programming too. so i checked the resistors and one of them was broken.
thats the thing....mines half programming...only the volume and seek down buttons can get programmed....does one resistor control the "up" button presses and the other resistor control the down "button" presses? also i couldnt program the bluetooth buttons to do anything either.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
well i just got around to looking at all of this today. i basically re-did everything and i still get the same results....when in program mode the PAC only recognizes the volume down and seek down buttons of my steering wheel controls. i know its not the wiring because i soldered everything and reinforced the resistors by electrical taping them to a piece of ABS plastic to keep them from bending or breaking. i have no idea whats wrong. i did see that my PAC version was 1.6.7....is that an old version or something? do i need to get an updated version?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
well i found out that 1.6.7 is the latest firmware, but i still havent figured out what the issue is. anyone?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Mine does act a lil strange from time to time but the only issue I have is track up.
do you have a multimeter or one you can borrow? because you can check the resistances of the resisters. put to ohm setting, choose the range (1, 10, or 100) and it will tell you the resistance of the resistors. the resistor is +- 10%so if it requires 150 ohm resister you can use as low as 145 or as high as 165. the closer you get to 150 the better it SHOULD work

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks for the info, but i reaplaced the resistors that came with the PAC with brand new ones when i went to check everything. im thinking it may be something thats wrong with the PAC unit. i have everything done exactly how it says in the instructions, every joint soldered, the resistors reinforced so they wont bend or break, so the only thing left is that theres something wrong with the PAC unit.