Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Audio Recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Recommendation

I have a 2006 g35 with the non-Bose radio, no Sat, no Nav. I would really like to add an auxiliary input to listen to a mp3 player through my car stereo system.

At first I researched changing out the head unit to one that provided an audio input. It sounded pretty complex and costly. I would have to get a new dash kit in addition to the radio. The dash kits out right now don't look all that nice. And I would lose the steering wheel control unless I bought a separate controller just for that purpose. And some people said the g35 speakers don't work well with other head units (not sure if that was just the Bose speakers, or the non-Bose system as well) due to unique impedance ratings. So some people recommend changing out the speakers too.

Then I read about the adapters that can just be added to the back of the stock radio. The USA Spec one sounds like it would well for me. I could still use the steering wheel controls and it seems like a pretty cheap option ($150).

So my question is whether or not it is worthwhile to change out the head unit and everything else that goes along with it. I am Ok with the sound out of the current head unit, but it doesn't exactly blow me away. I am assuming a new head unit would probably sound better, but it looks pretty costly to change it out. For the people who went this route, how much did it end up costing? What is the minimum cost to change the HU and still keep the steering wheel controls? Do you feel it was worthwhile in the end?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, the stock radios look pretty nice and integrated. If you went the way of the Double Din finisher (350), double Din Unit (lets say 400) and the Steering wheel control, ipod cable, and necessary harnesses (100) then yeah, it gets pretty pricey. If your only goal is to add an ipod, then I would def do the adapter. If your goal was to upgrade your entire system, I still wouldn't be sure about changing out the HU...but that's just me. But just changing out the HU and leaving everything else the same....it's still not going to blow you away...sound might be a little clearer....but the speakers and subs is whats going to "blow you" away.

Take that 900 that you would spend to upgrade the HU and use it to buy the Ipod adapter, a Line Out Converter and a sub/amp combo...or even some front components/amp as well. This would def be better money spent as the clarity from the stock HU to an after-market one isn't going to be a really noticeable difference.