Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JDM Double Din Ordered...man does that hurt!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM Double Din Ordered...man does that hurt!!

As much as I love having my own aftermarket stereo in my ride, I have to admit that this JDM double din kit at the tune of 325.00 + tax hurts! Back in the day, 325.00 was a rockin stereo!

But let's face it...we all bought G's because they are practically a work of art...truely a beautiful car. I just dont think it would be right to put the Metra in there. It's like touching up the Mona Lisa with entry level Glidden paint (entry level being the operative words...no hate to Glidden lovers).

I'd bet every single G owner that upgraded their stereo struggled with the same issue. But now that that's out of the way...I can concentrate on the real project....the system. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the AVN-726e from Eclipse for the head unit. I've been given some very plausible arguments that CarPc is the way to go...and to that extent, have not ruled it out.

Will folllow up on my direction... In the meanwhile, suggestions are always appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
IM in the same boat, just pre-double din purchase. Hoping for a used one to pop up before christmas.

Ill be bulding a double din carpc. IN the double din mounts:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...k-install.html

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
IM in the same boat, just pre-double din purchase. Hoping for a used one to pop up before christmas.

Ill be bulding a double din carpc. IN the double din mounts:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...k-install.html
So are you going to try to mimic the setup in the link you attached? Having all the pc equipment housed in a double din chassis is clean. If you are going to do it...it's a thoughtful way to go. Good luck with your project.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaelMarshall
As much as I love having my own aftermarket stereo in my ride, I have to admit that this JDM double din kit at the tune of 325.00 + tax hurts! Back in the day, 325.00 was a rockin stereo!

But let's face it...we all bought G's because they are practically a work of art...truely a beautiful car. I just dont think it would be right to put the Metra in there. It's like touching up the Mona Lisa with entry level Glidden paint (entry level being the operative words...no hate to Glidden lovers).

I'd bet every single G owner that upgraded their stereo struggled with the same issue. But now that that's out of the way...I can concentrate on the real project....the system. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the AVN-726e from Eclipse for the head unit. I've been given some very plausible arguments that CarPc is the way to go...and to that extent, have not ruled it out.

Will folllow up on my direction... In the meanwhile, suggestions are always appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael

I installed a ECLIPSE AVN726e earlier this month. Its so amazingly fast compared to DVD navigation units. Navigation starts in 5 seconds and GPS signal from a cold start is around 20 seconds. Sound Quality is amazing. I was torn between a kenwood 8120 and this unit, glad i chose the eclipse.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 AM
How would you connect steering wheel controls to Eclipse ? Which adapter ?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by trunks333
I installed a ECLIPSE AVN726e earlier this month. Its so amazingly fast compared to DVD navigation units. Navigation starts in 5 seconds and GPS signal from a cold start is around 20 seconds. Sound Quality is amazing. I was torn between a kenwood 8120 and this unit, glad i chose the eclipse.
So do you need to intall a special receiver or anything for the GPS? Probably on for satellite radio...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by jbors
How would you connect steering wheel controls to Eclipse ? Which adapter ?
PAC SWI-ECL2

Simple installed, 2 wires from bose harness connected to 2 resistors combined into 1 white wire. Then power, ground, etc. Should take less than 10 min to install.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM
So do you need to intall a special receiver or anything for the GPS? Probably on for satellite radio...
Everything needed for GPS is included. For Satellite you need to add an extra adapter.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by trunks333
Everything needed for GPS is included. For Satellite you need to add an extra adapter.
Thats what I thought. And part of that adapter is the antenna. Do you know if there are after market satellite antenna housings (for lack of a better term).... You know, the little fin looking deal on the top of the newer cars..painted to match...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Thats what I thought. And part of that adapter is the antenna. Do you know if there are after market satellite antenna housings (for lack of a better term).... You know, the little fin looking deal on the top of the newer cars..painted to match...
yes, they sell them on ebay, but i do not know how it will affect the sat reception.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SILVE...Q5fAccessories