Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Keyfob broken?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keyfob broken?

Hi guys,

The last 2 months my keyfob has been acting up. Sometimes it wouldn't work, other times it would. I did some searches and many people suggested radio interference, so I bought into it and called that the verdict. I drive many places (and far away) every day, so I don't necessarily think that's the reason, but it was my best explanation at the time.

Fast forward those 2 months, for the last week my keyfob has been absolutely not working at all. So I decide it's the keyfob battery, I take it out and put it to a voltmeter, reads exactly 3 volts (which is what the battery is rated at). I can't find my other keyfob to test if it's just that one or not, in fact I'm not sure if I received another one when I bought my car (new). Out of ideas, anyone have advice?

Car is 06 G35 Coupe 6MT.

Thank you!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2311
Hi guys,

The last 2 months my keyfob has been acting up. Sometimes it wouldn't work, other times it would. I did some searches and many people suggested radio interference, so I bought into it and called that the verdict. I drive many places (and far away) every day, so I don't necessarily think that's the reason, but it was my best explanation at the time.

Fast forward those 2 months, for the last week my keyfob has been absolutely not working at all. So I decide it's the keyfob battery, I take it out and put it to a voltmeter, reads exactly 3 volts (which is what the battery is rated at). I can't find my other keyfob to test if it's just that one or not, in fact I'm not sure if I received another one when I bought my car (new). Out of ideas, anyone have advice?

Car is 06 G35 Coupe 6MT.

Thank you!
So did you replace the battery anyway since it is what it does under load that counts?

Anyway what do you mean not work. That is when acting up does it unlock the car? I forget if it is a push button start or not (I think an 06 is).

In any case then there is an interference source that cause problems on some cars so I paid attention to this on my own when having problems and that is your cell phone. Try making sure it is always off when having problems.

On my car I am not sure if my issue is fixed which had to do with starting. A fob can get you into these cars but that doesn't mean it will allow you start one. So that is why I asked about unlocking the car.

Replace the battery and hope for the best. Buy from a high volume source such as Target, etc. to insure a fresh one. On mine I think the car will report the low battery with an ICON on the display.

On my car the IPDM was replaced, the BCM was replaced, as well as other items associated with starting the car. Not sure if it finally is fixed because of two none starts afterwards. One the day after the last fix (BCM) and one that I may have initiated (supposed to be an issue if certain buttons pressed at the same time on the fob, such as in your pocket).

Good luck you may need it.