Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with SAT--really confused here...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with SAT--really confused here...

First time poster, long time lurker...

Desperately looking for help on getting SAT installed!

I have a relatively brand new '04 G35 that I bought without factory satellite radio as the only option they were offering at the time was Sirius and I wanted to stay with XM (had for years in my previous car)--the dealer, as most of you know, was also asking well over $800 for the Sirius install.

So I happily drive my car to Circuit City (loyal customer, another story for another day) thinking that b/c I have the factory head unit with "SAT" that's is a simple aftermarket install. Best Buy (ugh), Tweeter, etc...all the same story.

Nope.

Everybody tells me that I need a special "converter" that's not out yet. Always "next month" every time I ask.

All I know is I've got the head unit with "SAT", but do not know if I'm actually prewired.

I'll take anything at this point--Sirius or XM--so long as I can get away from terrestial radio.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Help with SAT--really confused here...

Ah yes, circuit city always the wealth of information...

Installing the satellite is simple for prewired cars (see here how to http://www.smiley.net/g35/Satellite%20MF.pdf) and it doesn't require any special aftermarket adapters. You can buy an XM reciever and antenna from grubbs infiniti here: http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/

Old 08-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Buy the Infiniti XM kit from Grubbs ($300) less the FA Discount and you will be all set. It's an easy DIY job, or any radio install shop can help for a fee.

<font color=blue>'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem/Nav/Sat</font color=blue>

Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 PM

Thanks. I confused as I got the same *advice* from all the shops I asked...but you guys are making sense.

How do I know if I'm "pre-wired". Are all units with the SAT button pre-wired?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all cars with the "Sat" button were prewired, but I'm fairly certain that all 2004 cars are prewired. There used to be a door jamb sticker that indicated it, but my 2004 did not have that. Sedan or coupe? It may be worthwhile taking a peek in the trunk to positively confirm.

<font color=blue>'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem/Nav/Sat</font color=blue>

Old 08-18-2004, 07:22 PM

All 2004s and some later model 2003's are prewired. It's super simple to install, much more simple than it would be to add an aftermarket system. You plug the box in, connect an antenna (easy if you stick it on the rear deck) and that's it.

-- Rob