Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Mounting an amp behind the rear seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting an amp behind the rear seats

I have an alpine MRV-1507, its a pretty big amp. I mounted it to the rear seats with screws but it keeps coming off. I couldnt find a spot behind the seats that would really hold the screws tight enough to keep the amp mounted. For the guys that have their amps mounted behind their rear seats, how did you do it?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Screws and velcro. the velcro absorbs the shock, and the screws hold it in against the velcro.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeG35C
I have an alpine MRV-1507, its a pretty big amp. I mounted it to the rear seats with screws but it keeps coming off. I couldnt find a spot behind the seats that would really hold the screws tight enough to keep the amp mounted. For the guys that have their amps mounted behind their rear seats, how did you do it?
Haven't looked at this closely but from other experience you can get a thin nylon cutting board and slide it between the carpet on the back and the seat. Then you tap into this. You can put in a hollow wall faster on the reverse side of the nylon board, the type that screw in and are tapped. Now you can thread in a bolt from the amp side into it without any issues of pulling it out.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Haven't looked at this closely but from other experience you can get a thin nylon cutting board and slide it between the carpet on the back and the seat. Then you tap into this. You can put in a hollow wall faster on the reverse side of the nylon board, the type that screw in and are tapped. Now you can thread in a bolt from the amp side into it without any issues of pulling it out.
That's a good idea. If you don't want to screw into your seats, one thing you could try is drill some holes in the board and use strong zip ties to hold it in place. Not sure if it would hold it but it might be worth a shot. I'm going to try that out when I get around to finishing up my install.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 AM
I started an install today where that is a MAJOR issue. I've got two amps and a cap I wanted to put on there. i was going to get a 12x35 piece of MDF and counter sink a nut and bolt. The nylon cutting board sounds much easier to inplement. It will probably save me about 3/4 of an inch in depth--which is sorely needed. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by cc_brandon
That's a good idea. If you don't want to screw into your seats, one thing you could try is drill some holes in the board and use strong zip ties to hold it in place. Not sure if it would hold it but it might be worth a shot. I'm going to try that out when I get around to finishing up my install.
I bought some stainless steel zip ties to try that as well. the only problem I forsee is that even the thinest nylon boad will prevent the seat back clips from snapping into place. I may try puttinb the board on top after covering it with felt.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
they screwed mine pretty good

Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mojorizin
I bought some stainless steel zip ties to try that as well. the only problem I forsee is that even the thinest nylon boad will prevent the seat back clips from snapping into place. I may try puttinb the board on top after covering it with felt.
Yeah, I think putting it on the outside would be a better idea. I guess the only other problem is that the board would have to be thick enough for the screw to get a good grip.