Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You get what you pay for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You get what you pay for

Well, I bought everything that was needed to install my system. According to my knowledge, I thought I had bought high quality products including my 1/0 gauge kicker amp wiring kit, 2 IDMax10D2, Polk Audio MM6501 Components AND MM651 coaxial rears, with JBL GTO series amps, JDM double din with Pioneer D3.
The guy that was reffered to me by a friend turned out to be one of the worst I've dealt with. Did not treat my car like his own, dropped my speakers, scratched my amps, and basically didn't do anything right. My back-up camera works as AV1 (video source) making the sound go out and not as regular when you put your car in reverse. Second, this isn't his fault but my MM651 didn't fit in the rear panels?? Why is there no depth for any aftermarket speaker? Do I need a spacer..? Third, the double din does NOT sit flush and looks like its sitting in a hole with no gaps covered, when I asked the guy if we can drill hole in the stock cage, he said it wouldn't work.. On top of all that, don't tell me I bought something messed up when its brand new, yeah my steering wheel adapter..I guess he didn't know how to make it work or program it and blamed it on the product. Next, I asked if the bypass would work and guess what it doesn't work. It just says displaying video while driving is strictly prohibited even when I have a switch that doesn't do what it was intended for.

I don't know if I can explain this right but lets just say anyone has speakers at high volume and there is no sound, no beats, no music the speaker sounds as if there is a hiss sound right? Well, at volume 0 it sounds like that and not quite like how it was with the stock headunit. If this is car audio, then I rather stick to my crap *** bose system.
With all of that, the wiring was very unorganized and isn't done correctly or something. I seriously wish that I paid for Bing's plane ticket and just have him do an install for my car. And I guess I'm still thinking of doing that because I have about $2500 sitting in my car that is worth nothing but trash for me right now. I paid the guy $320 to install it all.
Can anyone recommend someone in NOVA? Or should I go back to the guy that installed it? What should I do? I'm stressed out thinking I've wasted money!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like you need someone who will do it all over again

The G isn't the easiest to work on, not the hardest but very time consuming to do it right.

Its hard to pin point all your issues over the computer

If you truly don't know what you are doing, find a good shop.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320 bucks was definetly not enough to charge to install all of that equipment. I know I would have charged a hell of a lot more than that but it would have been done right.

I definetly wouldnt go back to that guy, Id chalk the 320 up as a loss and find a decent installer.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I was afraid someone would tell me that.. I'm gona try to get most of my money back from this guy. I should've showed more emotion when he dropped my stuff and all.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by paky786
I was afraid someone would tell me that.. I'm gona try to get most of my money back from this guy. I should've showed more emotion when he dropped my stuff and all.
Did he damage any of the equipment more than just cosmetically? Is the guy at a shop or just a DIYer?

In my experience (I owned a car stereo shop for several years), for that much equipment, for a quality install, you should be looking atleast 800+, thats figuring you have the sub box, wiring and all.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Seems obvioius that you have wasted money. There is probably not much you can do about the guy that did it, unless you want to take him to small claims court. For the $320 you spent, it's probably not worth it. As said above, just chalk it up to experience, find yourself a reputable shop and have it done right. If I were you I would take everything out and have someone start over. Sometimes we have to pay for our mistakes but it's OK as long as we learn from them. I would have someone check all your equipment out before re-installing it because sounds like this gorilla may have damaged some of it. Who knows how he treated it when you weren't around. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
wow...if it were me I would go back and punch this guy in the face... but seriously...did the installer actually work at a shop? or was he just another one of those "oh, yeah...i can do that...cheaper too" kind of guys?

unfortunately, there is a lot of problems with your car...and particularly the install...

the hiss is from a bad ground, or wiring the signal and the power cables together as opposed to the opposite side. unfortunately though, the bad ground could be in many areas like the deck, the amps, the adapter, etc...

the rear speakers don't actually have a mounting location for them, but the speaker and bracket(all in one) basically attach to the side panels with three screws...so mounting those would need a custom bracket...not that they can't fit, but that this guy is a d-bag

i would def expect to pay much more for a decent install like you are talking about...

personally, i used to work at a shop, and would never let anyone touch my stereo anymore...unless it was someone that i knew and could vouch for personally.

my two cents...tear it out, and take the time to put it in yourself...save money, and know that it's done right...your "right". not someone else's "this will do". there are plenty of stickies and info on this forum to help guide you as you do it, plus it may even be a little fun for you...but seriously, your equipment will sound much nicer than the bose when it's put in properly.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.. No, this guy works at best buy but I put him on the side job through a close friend of mine.. This guy claimed he has done so many vehicles like Ferrari's, Lambo's etc.. I took his word and went for it.

Yeah, it seems like I'll have to go ahead and do it myself but the problem with me is I've never done a headunit before and I really don't want to mess it up. The rest, I can do. I know how to take apart the dash, the panels, etc. It's just the wiring what is killing me and I want to make sure that is done right.

Also, I've lost some money on a sub box because my brother in law and I made a box but I don't think we made it quite good to the specs it needs. So, I think I need another box. I was just checking this out http://cgi.ebay.com/Infiniti-G35-Coupe-Custom-Sub-Subwoofer-Box-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ300367958522QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item45ef5351fa for the IDmax's. Would this be any good for the subs?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
before anyone gives your crap

best buy installers arent all bad, we just hear stories about the bad ones

I had a remote start with alarm installed and it still works.

A head unit is very easy to do.

get a wiring harness, they are color coded and you can do that part in your house.

running the power wire for an amp is not to hard, just find a decent path to run the wire, which in this car is under the passenger side carpet.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Good luck I would be pissed.. I'm very **** about my car.. When I got my system installed I made sure everything was put back and there weren't any scratches on anything..

Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey blaze, thanks for the input. I know how to run the wires to the back, just the headunit gives me some hesitation and yeah it's color coded but I'm still a newbie and don't want to mess up. I guess I can take everything back out and redo it the right way but I will probably need your help with wiring the headunit.

Believe me Frankie, I'm the same way. I was seriously not a happy camper and I let him know I wasn't satisfied. He said that the hiss sound could be my headunit and causing the steering wheel adapter to not work and the camera to only work on video source. So, he said if I replace the headunit (which I bought used) he'll change it out for free.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Man the guy who installed your system is a joke.. He clearly doesn't know what he is doing that's why he has so many excuses..

Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 PM
If you want to bring it by my Best Buy, I can have a look at it and give you the low down on whats wrong with the install. I can't do it on the side, since that is against company policy and I can get fired. I have been installing for about 17 years now and started working at B.B. when things slowed down in the custom shops and I wanted a steady, non-commision, income and better health benefits and also 401k. Give my store a call at 571-248-4944 and ask to speak to me, Dan, or set up an appointment for a day that I am working to give your car a quick once over and get a price quote and possibly some suggestions. I really hate people in the company giving us a bad name and also stealing from my company.

My store is located in Gainesville, VA.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks man, I'll probably hit you up tomorrow or so!