Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Audio Questions. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Questions. HELP!

Ok I have some more audio related questions.

I have in my car now

-Infinity Perfect 6.1 comps in front
-Infinity Kappa 63.5i coax's rear
-4080 stealthbox (no sub in it..yet)

I am considering an economical fix to my dilemma. The amp I have in mind is the Phoenix Gold Octane R 9.0:5 whick is 125 x 4 + 400 x 1 watts or something like that. Or the Hifonics Zeuszx8000 5ch 800watt amp. The sub I am considering for my stealthbox is the JL audio 10w6v2.

My questions are

1. Are there any pros/cons of using one 5CH amp vs. using two seperate (one 4ch and one 1ch amps) amps?

2. Is it wise for me to invest in a 1 farad capaictor? If so which brand is good for under $100? They all look the same to me.

3. Is the JL 10w6v2 a good sub for the 4080 stealthbox? Is it a good match for these amp?

4. Are the amps a good match for the Infinity speakers in my car?

Pls advise. Thanks for your help.

'04 G coupe TB Graph 5A

"Hello Everybody...My name is Black and I hate my G35...yeah I said it....what?!?!?!"

Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Re: Audio Questions. HELP!

bump

'04 G coupe TB Graph 5A

"Hello Everybody...My name is Black and I hate my G35...yeah I said it....what?!?!?!"

Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'll take a stab at question #1 since I was in the same situation.

1- space is not a consideration for me, so having two amps in the trunk vs one didn't make a difference.

- if i bought the single 5-ch amp and it fried, i'd have no music to listen to. i'd have to go buy a whole new 5-ch amp.

on the other hand, having two amps kinda helps. the odds of both being fried at the same time are slim. if one amp blew, all i had have to do is replace that single amp, cheaper than having to buy a new 5ch amp.

i have the memphis 16-MC3004 powering my speakers and plan on getting the Memphis 1000 to power yet-to-have-been purchased subs.

2- i'd say run your system and see if there's a drain on your battery when the subs hit hard (ie. lights dim), then decide.

Golden Gate G35 Club

Old 08-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Widdle ya into kindling

I've always felt that if you want the best you would choose Phoenix Gold Amps, MB Quart or Infinity speakers and a kicker solo-baric for sub. My friends work at the best stereo shop in town and prefer the same though I prefer MB Quart over infinity. As far as a cap, if running more than one amp it would be a good idea. My old car had two PG amps, MB Quart separates front and rear and two Infinity Perfect 12" subs and was crazy comp loud. I now pick a kicker for the G35 for two reasons. One kicker in a ported box with a lot of power is louder than my 2 Infinity's and if space is an issure, a 12 inch Kicker Solo-baric only needs like .9 sq foot box and the 10 is something like .6, so I can put in a 10 and still be able to fold the seats down and use over half of that trunk space going to the inside of the car. I'll probable make and amp rack in the trunk behind the tail light to save more space. As for how many amps, definately use two. Even though it will work it is too much load. Will wear amp down faster and on hot days it will probalby shut down or blow if there is no safety shutoff. You can run a lot of power with one class D amp to one speaker and it will be plenty loud, especially with the Kicker and I'm sure the JL too.

Cap - I have phoenix Gold got from friends for under $100, but think it sells closer to $200;,however, I bet you could find this, an amp and anything else way cheaper on Ebay. Then you could get the best line of PG Amps. I got a great deal on my new Kicker sub on Ebay