Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Finished - Rerouting Speaker Wires through MOLEX Connectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished - Rerouting Speaker Wires through MOLEX Connectors

Well, despite 30 degree temps outside, I decided to do my speaker wire reroute through the door MOLEX connectors.

Initially, i was a bit nervous about how difficult this would be based on feedback i've seen in other threads. However, it actually only took me about 45 minutes each side to do. Its was EXTREMELY easy and very straightforward.

Threaded two pairs of 16 AWG speaker wire through each connector which will be use for a bi-amp set-up. For the slot, i just used a drill to drill about 5 holes inline on the connector and then popped them out for rectangular slot.

Not sure if the Coupe is more difficult, but the Sedan was a breeze.

Summary: Don't be scared to try this for yourself. It was relatively easy.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I dont know about extremely easy

but it is easier than people make it out to be, I guess its more of the fear of messing something up. If you take your time and plan it, you will be fine

I used a 5/16 bit first, then stepped up to a 3/8"

and its much easier if you take your doors off, which is pretty straight forward

Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe its harder on the Coupe, but the Sedan was really easy. Of course, i've already taken all my interior stuff out before for other installs, so i already was pretty familiar with taking door panels off and dashboard stuff out.

Instead of drilling one large circular hole, i basically just used a small drill bit and took out about 7 of the small pins in a row and made a large rectangular slot. Fit the nice flat speaker wire great!

I think the hardest part was fishing the wire through the rubber boot.

Rubbing alcohol (or better yet 99% isopropyl alcohol if you have it) works great as a lubricant as it simply evaporates completely instead of having soap or WD-40 stay in there.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 PM
congrats on getting this accomplished!! Is it a tough job, NO. Is it lengthy and awkward working in the tight areas, YES. i know that i had a particularly fun time getting my hands in between the door jam area to remove the outside connector, and also a fun time with my hand all mangled and bent keeping the inside connector where it needs to be in order for the molex to reconnect.

the use of a lubricant is a great idea...def would have been helpful when i was pulling mine. I actually managed to take the boot out entirely, bunch it all up, and then fish the wire through with a ziptie, and i still had a tough time. Next time i do it, lubricant is the way to go