Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

GPS mount in cubby (where can i get this mount?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Snsrider717
About a month ago I thought it would be cool to have my GPS in the cubby too. Mine is an older Garmin (4 yrs) it is fatter with a flip antenna, but I was still able to mount it inside without too much difficulty. I hardwired the charger to through the back so that its all stealth when it is closed. Looks great, highly recommend.

Suck on that stock navi.
Which model Garmin Nuvi do you have?

And +1 on the pics!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by nate911
Ok the mount doesn't exactly work for the 765T.

The only way to mount it is with the GPS tilted 45 degrees either way...it's not possible to mount it straight and level to the GPS. :/
I also just ordered the piece hoping it would work. GPS city has another mount where the ball sticks out a little further. Was there much clearance with the mount you bought?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
Did you use the kind of mount linked in this thread or did you just use the suction mount and clip it on the front wall of the cubby? Pics would be greatly appreciated as I have the same type of GPS.
I ordered this. The notches just don't line up...only 45 degrees to the left or right :/

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I wonder if this one might fit...or if it would cause the GPS to stick out too far.
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-dia...am-a-238u.html

The other thing I thought of was buying an extra one of these http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-nuvi-7...placement.html and sand down the back of it and then glue it or use industrial velcro to attach to the cubby...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jstin120
I wonder if this one might fit...or if it would cause the GPS to stick out too far.
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-dia...am-a-238u.html
looks like it'll stick out too far for sure.

The other thing I thought of was buying an extra one of these http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-nuvi-7...placement.html and sand down the back of it and then glue it or use industrial velcro to attach to the cubby...
i thought about that one as well. good find on the actual part - i looked around, but couldn't find that exact part. i thought of using glue to attach the cradle to a piece of lexan, and then use automotive double-sided tape to attach the lexan to the cubby lid. that would make it non-adjustable, though, so the position has to be perfect.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I think it you are right, it really might stick out too far... I am determined to make this work. I will be sure to post pictures of how I did it when I figure it out.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
OK guys...i just spend the past couple of hours trying to make this work with the GPS city mount and there is NO WAY its going to work...it does stick out too far and even with it mounted with one screw the GPS sits too low and you cant see the entire screen properly so its not an ideal setup....SO what i decided to do is follow someone else's idea and CUT the ball from the suction mount and attach the ball into the cuby and guess what it works great!...i can take some pics tomorrow...

Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by jtwenger
OK guys...i just spend the past couple of hours trying to make this work with the GPS city mount and there is NO WAY its going to work...it does stick out too far and even with it mounted with one screw the GPS sits too low and you cant see the entire screen properly so its not an ideal setup....SO what i decided to do is follow someone else's idea and CUT the ball from the suction mount and attach the ball into the cuby and guess what it works great!...i can take some pics tomorrow...
yes, please post the pics! close-ups with good lighting, please.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by jtwenger
Yes, pictures please! How did you attach the ball from the suction cup? I just can't see there being a way to attach it and have it be strong enough. I'm glad you got it to work.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DOCSG35
I just ordered the RAM-HOL-GA22U from gpscity.com for my Garmin Nuvi-360. I'll be back to post how it works out. Seems simple enough!
The most worthless piece of sh** I ever bought! There's no way this will mount properly in the cubby with my Garmin Nuvi!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by DOCSG35
The most worthless piece of sh** I ever bought! There's no way this will mount properly in the cubby with my Garmin Nuvi!
the more i think about it, the more i am convinced i will need to make a fully custom mount.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by codeflux
the more i think about it, the more i am convinced i will need to make a fully custom mount.
I agree! Definitely a custom job! Its not as easy as just installing the mount and attaching the Navi

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Ok, heres the deal. I got the part in the mail today and there is nothing wrong with it, it just won't work for what we are trying to do....and nobody said it did work. As everyone has said, it sticks out to far. I'm grateful to Jordan for his offer and for getting it to me with discounted shipping. Thanks man!

What will work however is something I mentioned earlier. We can attach the GPS cradle (http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-nuvi-7...placement.html) directly to the cubby. The angle is just fine as the pictures will show. I attached with industrial strength double sided tape just to test it.

So, here is what I plan to do.
1) Sand down the back of the cradle and maybe fill in the the hole with something.

2) Apply industrial strength "snap velcro" to the back of the mount and to the cubby. Should hold just fine. Before I wanted the GPS hardwired, this snap velcro held the gps on there with no problem, in fact, I had to pull hard to detach it. If it doesn't hold, I will just super glue it to the cubby.

3) To get power to the GPS, i plan to hardwire a cigarette adapter receiver to the cubby instead of just hardwiring the GPS. That way, I can still take the cord with me in my wife's car.

I am fairly confident this will work, although I am still curious to see the pictures of the ball attached to the cubby.

Last edited by Jstin120; 01-22-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Here are the pictures. Sorry for the blackberry quality. My wife went out of town and took the camera...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Here are the pictures. Sorry for the blackberry quality. My wife went out of town and took the camera...
Excellent, thank you for posting the pics!

I will try to cut the ball part off of a suction mount I'm not using, along with about 1.5mm of the stem, and glue that into an acrylic sheet (drill a hole in the acrylic to accept the stem part). will see how that works, and if it does, I can attach the acrylic to the cubby lid with automotive double-sided tape, to make it semi-permanent (better than gluing the ball directly to the lid).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GPS mount in cubby (where can i get this mount?)