Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New custom mount for my Bel 955 radar detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New custom mount for my Bel 955 radar detector

Just thought I'd share my latest 'mod' for my new-used G. I made this radar detector bracket 'adapter' for my WRX a while back. In the G, since there's really no space above the mirror and I really didn't like the mirror mount (aka Mike's/CountryJoy) I decided to fabricate my own again.

I could have simply used my suction cups to mount it where it is now, but inevitably they fail and scare the cr@p outta me when the RD drops! With this mount, the industrial strength 3M double-sided tape holds on even when the temps skyrocket. The thickness of the 3M tape keeps the thin head of the aluminum standoff from contacting the windshield.

Ah, but you ask, "What if I have to remove it?" That's where dental floss or fishing line can be used to easily slice through the 3M tape and Goo-Gone will remove the residue. Beyond that, the RD can be pulled off just the same as before: press the button and slide off.

The power is provided by a DIY version of the 'invisicord'. (It's really easy to make.) As you already probably know, the RD is barely visible from the exterior due to the dark blue tint at the top of the windshield.

'Nuff said, here's the pics:

Assembly with the plexiglass, bracket and aluminum 'standoff' screws holding it all together:

3M tape added:

View of the bracket side of custom mount:

Fully assembled and mounted in the G:

Close up of the assembled and mounted RD:

In no way am I stating this is the best way to mount your RD. Different strokes for different folks - this just works for me. The visor needs to be pulled off the clip to angle downwards. Just an extra step, but again, it works for me.

Hope this helps some folks with another option though!

- Al

And yes, I am going through an Auto-Rx cleaning phase

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
great job! my only concern would be the sun beating on that 3m tape and having it possibly fall and break or damage something. i opted for the "mikes mount" style. but your idea is nice, very clean

Old 01-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks erklep - as I mentioned in my post, the industrial version of the 3M tape can withstand very high temps and still remain adhered. This mount has nearly 3.5 square inches of adhesive surface area and in my WRX it survived 3 summers without any signs of peeling.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent idea! I'm going to do this myself!

2 questions...

Do you recall the number for the tape? Can't quite source it on 3m's site.

And also, where is "here"? Surviving summer in Ontario is one thing, Arizona quite another

Great job!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Glycerine - I purchased the tape at my local ACE hardware. It was the 1" wide roll. Be sure you get the 3M brand with the red backing. The white backing is the paper-foam tape that won't withstand high temps.

FWIW, I live in Denver - it's definitely not Arizona, but we do get a lot of near 100* days. You car is easily 25+ degrees hotter when the windows are up.

Also, you can use just about any strong rigid material as the base. I used aluminum in my WRX. I just happened to have the plexiglass handy. The key is to make sure it's a) thick enough to put a screw/bolt through and b) has enough surface area to handle the weight of the radar detector.

Just be very sure NOT to use anything but fishing line or floss when trying to remove it. Because of it's proximity to the edge, any hard/sharp object on the windshield may cause a crack!

Lastly, the Passports and Beltronics RD's ALL have the tendency to rattle since their brackets have a lot of tolerance between the metal and plastic. That's easily solved by shimming the RD plastic slot with a piece of felt (or even thin cardboard!)

Good luck!

Al

Last edited by ascdesigns; 01-18-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Al.

Since you've had success, i'll give it a shot here in the South

Did some web searching and think i found the tape. Didn't have it at Lowes, have to check Ace this weekend. For anyone wanting to use the same, it appears to be 3M Scotch Heave Duty Mounting Tape (4010). http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...id=body_rv_img

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Sorry, I think I may have gotten it at Pep Boys. Now that I recall, it's called 3m Automotive Molding Tape. They come in different widths although you could probably just put two narrower strips side by side and get the same result. Here's an image from somewhere on the 'net:

- Al