Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Portable GPS Cubby Install Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Portable GPS Cubby Install Questions

So I've searched the forum for hours and finally decided to go with one of the widescreen 4.3" portable Garmin units. The goal is to mount it on the cubby and ensure that the cubby can fully open/close while the GPS is still mounted. I've got the instructions on how to remove the stock HU so that shouldn't be a problem. However I have some questions...

1. What's the best way to actually attach the GPS to the cubby? Would 3M velcro strips work? Also did you guys mount the GPS directly onto the cubby or use the bracket as well?

2. If I plan on hardwiring my iPod by tapping into the power from the cig lighter, can I still use that same source to power my GPS or will I blow a fuse b/c I've got too many devices attached? If so, where's another source I can tap into?

3. If I use an external antenna, would I still get a strong signal if I mount it inside the dash, behind the clock? I believe that's where the stock antenna is located but I just want to be sure. I'm not fond of mounting the external antenna on the outside, ie the trunk or roof.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
#2 - The cigarette lighter is not recommended to power anything but the cigarette lighter. Use the power socket in the center console instead.

#3 - I have my GPS antenna mounted under the dash, and it works fine. It's attached to the metal bracket that screws in right below the analog clock.