Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

commited to upgrade HU to Eclipse AVN726E, need last minute input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
commited to upgrade HU to Eclipse AVN726E, need last minute input

even though Eclipse has exited the aftermarket radio market i am still in love with the AVN726E head unit. i already bought the JDM AC controls dash kit so i am commited at this point. i plan to only upgrade only the head unit, although an amplifier and new speakers would make the sound quality even better i feel i would still be very happy with the quality as is. i have an 07 coupe, 6MT. there is no premium package, everything is still factory stock.

questions:
* how hard would it be to install this HU myself? i was a bit hesitant because since this is a navigation unit it might present many problems i may not be prepared for. or would you reccomend just having a shop do this?
* i hear an amp, although reccomended, is not necessary. can somebody confirm this?
* is it hard to program the PAC steering wheel controls? the shop wanted to charge me $200 for this component eventhough you can buy it on ebay for $50 because he said it was extremely difficult to program.
* can somebody provide a laundry list of items needed for this upgrade? this is what i want to install, please fill out the rest somebody, i am sure there are harnesses and other cables needed
1. Eclipse AVN726E
2. PAC SWI-ECL2 sterring wheel control
3. JDM INFINITI G35 DOUBLE DIN DUAL AC DASH KIT

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im on the 3rd headunit in my car, and for the the biggest issue was getting the wires to fit back there.. haha
how much experience in this area do you have? that determines how hard it will be.
an amp is not necessary, you can use the stock one. but the stock amp is the weak link in the system, so if i were you i would think about investing in a new one.
the pac thing wasnt hard at all. took like 30 minutes total to get it in and working.
your going to need a harness to connect the headunit to the speaker/power connections in the car, miscelanous tools to take stuff apart/put it back together.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmo134
im on the 3rd headunit in my car, and for the the biggest issue was getting the wires to fit back there.. haha
how much experience in this area do you have? that determines how hard it will be.
an amp is not necessary, you can use the stock one. but the stock amp is the weak link in the system, so if i were you i would think about investing in a new one.
the pac thing wasnt hard at all. took like 30 minutes total to get it in and working.
your going to need a harness to connect the headunit to the speaker/power connections in the car, miscelanous tools to take stuff apart/put it back together.
i am an engineer, so these type of things do interests me. tools are not an issue, but my time is also pretty important, if this effort is going to take more than a day then i might reconsider. as long as there is documentation out there then i am sure i can figure it out. i also won't be doing this alone, so i will have an extra set of hands and eyes. we have installed a single-din alpine HU on my old 98 rav4. it was fun. but i thought the G35 double-di install might present other challenges particularly, the navi portion of this setup.

i feel perhaps i can see how i like the sound quality without the AMP, then perhaps if it becomes an issue then do the upgrade then. trying to ease into it.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Laundry list:
4. nissan diversity antenna adapter
5. metra 70-7550 wiring harness
6. wire nuts or crimp connectors
7. solder & electrical tape (for installing the diodes on the PAC SWI-ECL2)
8. Trim remover tool, or if you don't have one, a rigid nylon spatula for non-stick surfaces.

Check for members in your area that have done this already. It a 3-hour job your first time, 2 hours your second, since you're all paranoid disassembling the dash. If you're really slow at crimping wires, maybe 3.5 hours.

Programming the PAC?
Here's what you do after wiring it up (like 4-5 wires and possibly a couple diodes that get connected to other things).
Hold button on PAC. Turn car to acc. push button like 3 times. Turn car off. Turn car to acc. Watch light blink 3 times. Push button. Push steering wheel button. Push steering wheel button. Push steering wheel button. Push steering wheel button. Push steering wheel button. Push steering wheel button. Push steering wheel button. Turn car off. Turn car to acc and check buttons.

For an installer that has done them a lot before, to charge anything extra for it during a normal install is criminal. Now to charge $200 for parts and labor to install it into an existing aftermarket? Yeah, I can see that, since they'd have to disassemble the dash and everything, which they are liable for damages while they're doing, but if they're adding it onto an existing job, it's cake.

And there's tons of room for wires in there. You can stuff it down the sides of the center console, between the DD bracket and the top cubby hole, and underneath the HU itself is a pretty open area too.
My first time I installed my wife's, I was overwhelmed by the amount of wires, but my second time through, I had tons of room.