Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Check MY Proposed Audio Setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check MY Proposed Audio Setup

Sup Yall.. Im a New Member... But No Newbie to Car Forums... (I used to own a 91 Acura Legend Coupe and on Acuralegend.com).. With that said, I know You all like detailed information when asking for help. So here it is

Im planning on changing out the entire System in my 05 Non Bose Sedan.

Dual XDVDN9131 Head Unit(Don't knocc the Dual until you try it =])
Inifinity Kappa 60.9CS Components (90W RMS/ 270W Max)
Rockford Fosgate Punch Series P1S652 Coaxials (55W RMS/ 110W Max)
Kicker CompVR 10" Sub (400W RMS/800W RMS)
Orion HCCA10004 4-ChAmplifier (2000W Max) or XTR5004 (1000W Max)

I know, I know. Every1 says that its not good to run your Speakers and Subs on the Same Amp. But Im tryna save money right now instead of buyin a monoblock amp also. I Calculated the Total RMS Power Demand for the System to be 690W But the Max Power Demand is 1560W.

Im Almost Certain its better to go to a 2kW Amplifier Just To Be Safe. I know the RMS Wattage is whats important, but i was worried about covering the momentary power spikes. Can you guys confirm this for me? Also, do any of you have any good suggestions on Amplifiers. The Orion was the first one that came to mind.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
my suggestion would be:

1. get rid of the Dual yes i have installed it, have taken it apart and even measured it once

2. the rest of the stuff is not bad, your average run of hte mill stuff, the kappas are a bit harsh for sure. but its all up to you.

3. the amp choices are okay, all DEI owned brands are pretty much similar nowadays, i would say hte HCCA is nothing like hte old HCCA. and remember, max power doesnt mean anything at all in the configuration you will be running your system.

the 10004 is a 750 watt amp, and the XTR5004 is a 400 watt amp. the xtr is okay for what you have, but the extra wattage of hte 10004 wont hurt to give you a bit more volume and dynamic headroom.

overall, it isnt stuff i would choose, but my only real suggestion would be against the HU and the speakers

remmeber, the key is to do a good install

b

Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I put another vote against the Dual.
#1) It's a pop-out single-din unit. I've never seen the mechanics on these last a lifetime. It's going to flip itself right in front of your AC controls.
#2) Front inputs for both USB and AUX. You'll never be able to have your music player/iPod connected and stealthily tucked into the glovebox with nary a visible wire, so you'll have to disconnect that every time you get in and out, otherwise you're just begging for a broken window and one less iPod.
#3) The buttons illuminate blue. Your interior lights are all amber.
#4) For that price range you can get:
Clarion NX409 (Blue buttons still)
Pioneer X710BT Pioneer X710BT
(A little slow boot, but good and highly modifiable)

Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
its fine to run all your channels from one amp

I dont know where you got the info that its not

as long as the crossovers are set up properly, no problem...

Where have you used the dual before? The sound of a dual/boss/lanzar are all about the same. Weak and not very detailed.

I would say to get a little better dual.

If you already own it, try it first. If you like it, keep it.

everything else sounds good to me

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM
The Reason I was going with the Dual is because of my past experience with a lesser deck in my old car. The particular deck that i listed has everything right out the box. NAvi, BT, Ipod control, USB, AUX.... Where as with the Pioneer HU I would have to buy their Ipod control cable and the Clarion Unit is missing BT.

16psibrick:
1.What about the Duals Didnt You like?

2. The Kappas are harsh how? Piercing mid to highs? What would be your suggestion? I heard that the Kappas are good for listening to Jazz and Classical Music because of how they handle the mids and highs... The Rockford Fosgates are known for better handling of the mids to lows... Thus why they are in the rear. Tryung to set up a nice front stage with some balance as far as audio in the whole car.

Wrathernaut:
1. I hear your concern, I keep my Ipod usually in my lap and it comes out the car with me usually everytime.. So the stealth wire install really wasnt a consideration.

2.The lights color is something I can live with.

3.The HU popping out right in front of the AC controls. Hmm... I can see where that would be a problem. But I think it might be something I could live with.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
im partial to jl audio..but a suggestion would be since you said you were on a budget would be to eliminate the rear fill speakers just keep the bose ones in there...spend the extra money upgrading your sub or head unit. once to get your sound stage up front set you really dont need much at all in terms of rear fill.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 PM
x2 ^

many people for some reason feel the need to have rears, because they are there originally. But in such a small car, if you get a good set of fronts, install them correctly and amplify them, then you really aren't going to notice that the rears aren't there. you do save money on amp channels, speakers, and install, while nixing a piece of the install that really isn't necessary.

infinity kappas are horrible...but that's my opinion. Have you heard them yet? They are a huge forum boner on here for some reason, why I can't really understand. They are very bright, harsh, and you won't get any lows from them at all. if you want a balanced sound, the best thing would be to listen to a few cars with speakers, or pick some off a wall at a stereo shop. But DEFINITELY don't buy them if you haven't heard them. Speakers are somewhat objective, so you really have to hear them to know if you like them.

As far as the Dual is concerned, I am not going to knock them, but everyone knows the quality. You should look at some G installs and see if you like the single din units with the pocket underneath the unit. In my eyes, this takes the interior of the G down one huge notch. But if you like it, go for it.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by mconklin
im partial to jl audio..but a suggestion would be since you said you were on a budget would be to eliminate the rear fill speakers just keep the bose ones in there...spend the extra money upgrading your sub or head unit. once to get your sound stage up front set you really dont need much at all in terms of rear fill.
Hmmm... Im Runnin With The Non Bose Systems. The Rear fill Was kind of important cuz I didnt want my speakers soundin like they were gonna pop

Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
bose, non bose, either way your kinda splitting hairs with this one. the point remains that you could save a lot of money by just letting it go, getting a set of fronts that won't "pop" as you say... i run fronts only and couldn't tell a difference in loudness... getting a good set of fronts and a proper install will help you ensure that you get the sound your after...

also, if you are set on using rears, i would be real cautious about using different speakers in the rear than the fronts. not like it's going to harm anything, but you get two different speakers in terms of response, tonality, etc, and the two different sounds you get could be really confusing. (as far as stage is concerned)

Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by mattyjman
bose, non bose, either way your kinda splitting hairs with this one. the point remains that you could save a lot of money by just letting it go, getting a set of fronts that won't "pop" as you say... i run fronts only and couldn't tell a difference in loudness... getting a good set of fronts and a proper install will help you ensure that you get the sound your after...

also, if you are set on using rears, i would be real cautious about using different speakers in the rear than the fronts. not like it's going to harm anything, but you get two different speakers in terms of response, tonality, etc, and the two different sounds you get could be really confusing. (as far as stage is concerned)
Goood lookin on that.. Never even took that into consideration. Proper install as in Crossover settings?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:32 PM
well, proper install encompasses many things, and an assumption that you would follow generally acceptable install practices. right locations, mdf baffles, use of sound deadening materials, and proper crossover settings... just to name a few

Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Revivin It... After Doin Some Research... Ive Decided to Go

JL AUDIO 13TW5-3 Shallow Mount 13" (Corner Loaded wit a Custom Fabbed Box)
JL AUDIO Slash v2 450/4v2 (4 Channel in bi amp mode. 300 W for Sub.. 75W x2 for main speakers) has an active corssover.
Stil tryin to figure out what head unit im gonna get... Needs Quality Navi... Bluetooth v.2.0.. and Ipod Control...

Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
What is your budget? I just dumped $1400 on 2 jl audio amps- pioneer dvd4100-custom dual sub box. 10in jl audio subs -xm sat radio-ipod kit-steering wheel interface-Hertz in front and rear- sound material put in doors,trunk,under rear seats and under front seats-System sounds pretty good for what i spent.