Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help with my audio makeover!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my audio makeover!

So after dealing with damn near $400 worth of install charges from bestbuy to install a DD touchscreen unit, I've decided id rather reinvest that money into buying a better HU, and do the install myself with the nicely detailed DIY on here...

Basically, I would like to gather everything I need to make this procedure as easy as possible, I already have the JDM dash kit and AC controller, the HU I plan on getting is this:

Amazon Amazon

with that I would also purchase the wiring harness adapter off of crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207075...harness+&ssi=0

I understand I would also need to purchase an antenna adapter?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metra+-+...=1218105178892

I would also purchase the module that allows me to retain functionality in my steering wheel controls, and also purchase the ipod adapter. I will however be keeping the stock bose component set for now. I contacted a local audio installer with questions on their install cost, and they said they would have to do some kind of overhaul on the stock amp (rewiring) so that it would work right with an aftermarket deck, is this correct? Also, with the steering wheel control module, is the process of programming that unit a PITA? Im pretty savvy with this stuff, but I'm no professional, anyone on here do that themselves?

Ultimately I will probably redo the entire audio system including the stock components and even add a sub to the trunk, but due to my budget I would just like to get rid of my stupid stock bose HU (which only has radio functionality at this point) and replace it with a good screen (though I dont require navigation)

Basically, it will cost me around $200 + the above parts to have it installed at a shop, but from what I can tell I think I should be able to knock this out myself in a saturday afternoon with a little patience and that DIY...What do you guys think, worth it or not? also any advice on useful tools to have during the process, or things to watch out for would be very helpful

Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
So did BB actually do or charge you anything yet?

There have been a few scattered reports of noise when using the stock Bose amplifier with an aftermarket deck. I haven't experienced it yet, but frankly I claim anything that comes out of the Bose system "noise".

The PAC SWI isn't bad, you have to solder a couple diodes to a couple wires and follow the install instructions step-by-step. It's not hard if you follow instructions. If you try and do it from memory your second time... you'll get it wrong. (experience talking here...)

There's TONS of guys here who have done the swap, and will make it go much faster. Try posting up in the regional forums for somebody who's done it in your area. Most people here work for refreshing beverages and/or pizza.

For $550, I think I'd recommend a Pioneer X910BT (or waiting a couple weeks for the X920BT), a little less price (maybe a bit slower boot) but the Pioneers seem to have a good record against the Bose+Noise issue, plus you'd be gaining bluetooth and navigation.

Save the $200 and put it towards better stereo, or in the bank for the amplifier upgrade.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
thank you very much, the information you provided is VERY helpful...and as far as the HU choice, I think I do like your pioneer recommendation better, frankly I didnt think $550 put me in the ballpark of their x series stuff, but sure enough, amazon has the x910bt, the ipod stuff, and the steering wheel control unit for $650 shipped, sounds real good to me

as far as the help, I will certainly put the word out, I live in MN where it is frigidly cold outside, and my garage is not the most hospitable environment for working on my car so i do most of my stuff in the driveway, sometimes its difficult to get help in that situation haha...

I'll have to search for the DIY for the PAC SWI and see what thats all about too

Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 PM
oh yeah, and I didnt pay best buy anything to do anything...i was under the impression that the stuff i chose would have put me in the area of $1300 installed, but after it was all said and done i was in the $2000+ price range AND most of the parts were backordered for 3 weeks or more, and they wanted me to pay the shipping!!! I said screw it and left to reevaluate, and I am glad I did

Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 PM
also, does anyone know if a stock HU/dash kit would be worth anything? The HU itself works well, but the CD player has some issue, it takes and reads CD's but all that comes out is static...probably fixable, but I do not want. the stock dash kit is perfect though, worth selling?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 PM
YOU should NEVER and I repeat NEVER let chain electronic shops like best buys or circuit city etc install anything in your car. They have no idea what they are doing, they are just reading off a manual and if the car they are dealing with like G35..they will be so fcking lost because our HU is one board...I went to best buy and I was curious, I was like how much would you charge for me to install a double din head unit in my G35. He's like that's impossible, we cannot do that, because the HU is one piece, you'll be lucky if you can find a shop to do that..In my head I was cracking up like wow, you know what forget it.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Since everybody here knows the stock headunit is fragile and short-lived, it's not worth much.

Keep it to put back in the car in case you're going to sell it, so that you can sell the DD kit and keep the headunit for your next car.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
You can probably get the Clarion HU, wiring harness, and antenna adapter cheaper than those prices listed. Not sure about the HU, but for the accessories try beach audio or ebay, scosche is another brand to look at.

Are you gonna do any sound deadening? Totally worth it IMO, especially if you're DIY and the door panels are going to be off anyways....it is a little time-intensive but worth it to lessen road noise/rattles.

Definitely try to find someone local on the forums here to help you with install. Not only is it a lot cheaper, you can usually watch and help and invariably learn more about your g35.

Whoops, I just read your OP again, you're not adding any speakers at this time, just the HU? IMO, the stock speakers should be the first to go

Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
yeah the speakers will come in time, but the stock HU only has a working radio at this point and its driving me crazy... My budget is sort of limited until may so I can really afford to do one thing at a time right now. I figure my life will be a whole lot better if I can just listen to my own music on a nice looking HU, the speakers and subs come in the summer

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by iTzTeddy
YOU should NEVER and I repeat NEVER let chain electronic shops like best buys or circuit city etc install anything in your car. They have no idea what they are doing, they are just reading off a manual and if the car they are dealing with like G35..they will be so fcking lost because our HU is one board...I went to best buy and I was curious, I was like how much would you charge for me to install a double din head unit in my G35. He's like that's impossible, we cannot do that, because the HU is one piece, you'll be lucky if you can find a shop to do that..In my head I was cracking up like wow, you know what forget it.
Wow what a very general statement to make.

Ive had plenty of friends that took their car to best buy with no problems

I myself had a remote start/alarm installed by them in my other car and it works fine to this day.

Even a so called "pro" in a shop can mess up a car. Even if its a high end shop. All it takes is one guy messing up one car to ruin their reputation.

I do all my own installs and most of my friends, so i was extremely hesitant to have best buy work on my remote start, but since that's not my strong point I let them. And as said, it was fine, wires hidden and such.

on the other hand

I took my old chevy (when I was ~16) to Ultimate electronics, the installer said the amp didnt work. I went outside to check. He grounded the wire to the tool box under the rear seat.......I got all my money back on that install.

Always, and I repeat ALWAYS talk to the installer first, not the sales man. The sales man is just pushing product

Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
a question: the single thing about the self installation process that intimidates me the most is installing the steering wheel control unit so that my wheel controls work with my new DD screen... I can handle the wiring of the screen, and I am not COMPLETELY new to the audio install process, but I have never messed with that sort of thing and soldering isnt one of my strong points...

Another thing that worries me is wiring the DVD safety wire whether it be legally to my ebrake, or illegally to a module or switch somewhere...