Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Upgrade to stock navigation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010 | 05:21 PM
|
Upgrade to stock navigation?

I own an Infiniti G35 2008 Sedan that does not include stock OEM navigation. It has the iPod connector, composite A/V input, and bluetooth pacakge. I was told that since it has the bluetooth package, it's prewired and it's possible to upgrade to stock navi.

If I could find the right parts, for ex. the GPS DVD box, the antenna, and the display screen and if I'd replace those units would the navi work? Would the dealer be able to provide be with those parts?

Does anyone have the part numbers, or anyone done this before?

I understand I could buy aftermarket navigation like the Garmin GVN 53 however that would cost $500 and I wouldn't be able to play audio/radio at the same time as watching the navi, because it runs through the composite A/V input.

Someone please give me ideas..

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
You're definitely not going to add a stock navi for under $500.

You could get a couple little 12v relays to switch between two RCA inputs. It's quite simple, just wire a 12v double-pole, double-throw relay that's activated by the mute wire of the GVN53. Your iPod aux inputs go to the normally-closed terminals, the GVN53 goes to the normally open terminals, and the other side goes to the factory headunit's audio aux jacks.
It's a mere 8 wires per relay (one for left, one for right) that need to be soldered to the relay and you're set.

I'm actually considering making these relays and selling them here for people to keep nav voice on a single speaker when installing an aftermarket head unit in 03-06's+07 coupes. But I can't do that until Jan-Feb at the earliest.

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:04 PM
|
Okay, let's say I won't get the stock navigation.. Let's say I buy the Garmin GVN 53. What's the point of the relays? Doesn't the Garmin GVN53 come with composite video outputs? And my car has the composite video inputs..

And the Garmin GVN 53 comes with installation instructions right?

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You're definitely not going to add a stock navi for under $500.

You could get a couple little 12v relays to switch between two RCA inputs. It's quite simple, just wire a 12v double-pole, double-throw relay that's activated by the mute wire of the GVN53. Your iPod aux inputs go to the normally-closed terminals, the GVN53 goes to the normally open terminals, and the other side goes to the factory headunit's audio aux jacks.
It's a mere 8 wires per relay (one for left, one for right) that need to be soldered to the relay and you're set.

I'm actually considering making these relays and selling them here for people to keep nav voice on a single speaker when installing an aftermarket head unit in 03-06's+07 coupes. But I can't do that until Jan-Feb at the earliest.

Old 02-16-2010 | 03:30 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
You said you wanted to have your iPod playing while using the navigation. By wiring up the relays, the system can switch the audio from iPod to the nav system and back whenever it needs to give directions, the way the stock radio can.

Old 02-18-2010 | 07:32 PM
|
Video Motion Block uhhgg!! :(

Oh and btw, do you know how to bypass the video motion block in a 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan?

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You said you wanted to have your iPod playing while using the navigation. By wiring up the relays, the system can switch the audio from iPod to the nav system and back whenever it needs to give directions, the way the stock radio can.

Old 02-19-2010 | 07:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Originally Posted by emediately
Oh and btw, do you know how to bypass the video motion block in a 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan?
Discussion of that topic is against forum rules, but you can find it with google.