Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Adding OEM Navi to a non-navi equiped G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
im gonna try to get some pics up now. the harness was huge, its the entire dash harness that splits down the center console.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Yeah, definitely take a lot of pics... to my knowledge there's only one other guy who did it and that was before I was on this board.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok so we didnt finish the install last friday but ill get you through what pictures i have taken...
Anyways.
This is what i started off with-
This is a 2004 dash harness from a g35 with navigation. The only difference between this car harness and mine was it was a manual and my car is an automatic.

The brain/dvd unit plugged in just fine, however there was another grey small female plug wrapped in the harness that i didnt have anything for? Im thinking it may be for the microphone to the unit?

These are the two plugs off the harness that we needed. These plug into the back of the navigation unit and into the harness for the controll buttons.

I hate taking apart my car...

My bud alexi that was kind enough to help with the project taking apart the harness.

Cutting out the unused wires from the harness that my harness already has...

This is the basics of what we needed

and this was what we didnt

we started cutting the wires going into the a/c & audio unit that were present in my harness and kept the ones that werent. After we took out the plugs and incorporated these wires into my existing plugs in the car.

Nothing is wired up yet to work (havent connected any powers or any grounds) we basically just added a secondary harness for the navi to mine and now were trying to figure out this last plug. For some reason it wasnt included in the harness i got from the 04 car? The unit is from an 05.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The plug is a 6 pin plug i believe.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

According to the 2005 AV FSM manual (page 54), your harness in question is the "M95" harness.
I checked against the wires on the 05 color-wise, but you'll want to check the 2004 AV FSM manual to see if the wire colors changed for the section of the 04 harness you used

Here's how to wire it:
Black - Ground it
Red/White in #1 (edge) slot - Battery +
Yellow/Green - Ignition - Splice this (Y-connection) to the Yellow/Green wire going to the main navi control unit
Red/White in #5 (next to empty #6) slot - goes to the red/white on the main navi control unit
Light Green - Accessory - Goes to the light green wire on the main navi control unit

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 05-17-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Yep, this is the one I thought you were talking about that controls up/down.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
According to the 2005 AV FSM manual (page 54), your harness in question is the "M95" harness.
I checked against the wires on the 05 color-wise, but you'll want to check the 2004 AV FSM manual to see if the wire colors changed for the section of the 04 harness you used

Here's how to wire it:
Black - Ground it
Red/White in #1 (edge) slot - Battery +
Yellow/Green - Ignition - Splice this (Y-connection) to the Yellow/Green wire going to the main navi control unit
Red/White in #5 (next to empty #6) slot - goes to the red/white on the main navi control unit
Light Green - Accessory - Goes to the light green wire on the main navi control unit
I was excited to wire it up and looked at the back of the navi...
the wires arent those color combinations.... its just R/BL/B/G/Y/W...
Damnit lol.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Please show the pin side of that connector.

Also please verify year/(coupe/sedan ).

Also verify that it goes to the up/down button and motor.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 05-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Please show the pin side of that connector.

Also please verify year/(coupe/sedan ).

Also verify that it goes to the up/down button and motor.
It goes to the up/down button and motor, sorry for the pics but my harness didnt come with the plug so i took an extra matching pin from the unused harness and im going to make my own. I just need to know where these go. Im pretty sure its the same somewhat but its just the wire colors may have changed?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

According to the manuals, the harnes and colors never changed, and certainly didn't grow to 6 wires.

05,06,07 all only have 5 wires in that harness.

Oh, and I'm at work now, so I can't see images posted to most photo sharing sites, it'll be another 10 hours or so before I can check those out.

If you can attach the photos to the message, I can see them - attach the one with the wires going into the harness, I'll go over what I have here and see if I can figure out just why that harness doesn't seem to match.

And again, what year/model did you get the navi unit out of?

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 05-18-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 AM
subscribed. i'd love to know the outcome!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Provided the main harness was rebuilt correctly, it's easy from here. If I were at my car (5 weeks to go) I'd check out nav my harness in that spot, because the colors and numbers of wires don't match what the service manual shows.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 05-18-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Provided the main harness was rebuilt correctly, it's easy from here. If I were at my car (5 weeks to go) I'd check out nav my harness in that spot, because the colors and numbers of wires don't match what the service manual shows.
I went over the wire diagrams last night. And the 04 harness doesnt have that plug. But you are right the 05,06,07's all do and the colors didnt change. Im thinking that the colors may just be different from the pin side. As far as difference in years im noticing that the 04 & 05's have the same plugs -that one grey 6 pin plug. Between the 04 & 05's the plugs may be the same but the pins arent pinned in the same order. So today im going to go through the entire wire diagram and de-pin / re-pin the plugs that arent correct.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
What and where is the unified meter control unit? according to page AV-55/ plugs M19 and M20 in this manual.
http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/2005/av.pdf

Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll need someone with an 04 to confirm, but I don't think the 04's had the power up/down and that is why the plug is missing. I may pull my 06 tonight and see what color my wires are, but don't hold me to this as it is a chore. I would just follow the pin order in the FSM and wire it up. I would provide power to the unit with fused links and test to make sure the power, acc and group are correct and then make your own harness as you stated.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by BacaraG35
I'll need someone with an 04 to confirm, but I don't think the 04's had the power up/down and that is why the plug is missing. I may pull my 06 tonight and see what color my wires are, but don't hold me to this as it is a chore. I would just follow the pin order in the FSM and wire it up. I would provide power to the unit with fused links and test to make sure the power, acc and group are correct and then make your own harness as you stated.
Correct, 03/04s were manual flip.

Unified Meter Control Unit? That's the part of your car's computer network that puts stuff to the gauges and speed signal from the main car brain out to accessories.

Pin 1 - BAT + - You can get BAT + power from the back of the radio
Pin 2 - ACC - Also can come from the back of the radio
Pin 3 - GND - Ground it
Pin 4 - IGN - Tie to Yellow/Green on the navi control unit -
Pin 5 - LIMIT SW + - Sends a +5v signal to the Navi control unit to let the navi control unit to let it know it's open. Tie to Red/White on the navi control unit (pin 22)

So basically, pins 1, 2 and 4 all expect a +12v signal, pin 5 outputs a +5v when the unit is up, and it needs a ground.

I'm still wondering what that white wire on the harness is.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 05-18-2010 at 12:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding OEM Navi to a non-navi equiped G