Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Stereo buttons not working in an 06 X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stereo buttons not working in an 06 X

Hi all, I searched but found nothing that seemed relevant.

Today, I was driving home from work and turned the stereo volume down to make a call. This was in my '06 G35X with 37K on it. Next thing I know, the stereo shut itself off and would not respond to the power button when I tried to turn it back on.

I found that the steering wheel controls worked fine, and I could turn it back on and play with the volume, advance to the next track, etc., all from the wheel. But NONE of the stereo buttons/controls on the unit istelf worked at all. No power, volume, track skip, eject, nothing.

I was very frustrated and chalked it up to having to completely replace the stereo 2 weeks after I bought this car. I knew the earlier ones had issues with the stereo/climate control but I thought I was safe with a 2006 model.

So when I got home, I shut the key off and turned the key back on (did not start the car). The stereo buttons now worked fine. All of them.

Anyone ever experience this? I am really curious about whether this is a known and/or recurring issue. So far so good, but I am worried.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
It's a common experience. The circuit boards for the stereo/climate controls start to go bad. Giving it a punch on the driver's side can help sometimes, but only delays the inevitable. Good time to start putting money under the mattress for a double din conversion.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
It's a common experience. The circuit boards for the stereo/climate controls start to go bad. Giving it a punch on the driver's side can help sometimes, but only delays the inevitable. Good time to start putting money under the mattress for a double din conversion.
Ugh. Not at all what I wanted to hear.

I thought I had read somewhere that this issue was solved in the models that were 05+?

I will search later when there is time to try and find the answers in detail, but I have 2 quick questions if anyone wants to answer them for me.

1) So I am going to have to replace the stereo AND the climate controls now?

2) What is the approximate cost of all this? I will likely do it all myself. I have done many stereo headunit and/or amp/speaker installs in the past.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

1) Yes or No. You can replace just the circuit board that houses the controls for both climate and radio, by checking out the marketplace here. That'll fix your problem until the replacement (which is going to be as old or older) exhibits the same behavior. If the board in your car was damaged by a power supply that's going bad in the radio itself, it'll probably happens sooner than later. To put a new radio in, you require new climate controls and radio.

2) If you do it all yourself for an 05+, is about $400 (JDM trim, steering wheel control adapter, wiring harness) plus whatever headunit you decide on.

Check out my shopping/resource list for any other info you need.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html

Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
1) Yes or No. You can replace just the circuit board that houses the controls for both climate and radio, by checking out the marketplace here. That'll fix your problem until the replacement (which is going to be as old or older) exhibits the same behavior. If the board in your car was damaged by a power supply that's going bad in the radio itself, it'll probably happens sooner than later. To put a new radio in, you require new climate controls and radio.

2) If you do it all yourself for an 05+, is about $400 (JDM trim, steering wheel control adapter, wiring harness) plus whatever headunit you decide on.

Check out my shopping/resource list for any other info you need.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...urce-list.html
Thanks so much. You've been a tremendous help.

I guess I know what my first "mod" is going to be.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You should be happy you have such a good excuse

Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its only a good excuse if you don't have a wife who frown's upon upgrading your car.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I figure, I spend a lot more time behind the wheel, between my speakers than I do behind the TV, so guess which one gets the money put into it?