Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Need Urgent help - Car dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010 | 01:20 PM
|
Need Urgent help - Car dead

Hey Guys,

I am a new G rider (bought the car months ago from a private party) and my car suddenly died on me on Friday. It does have after market DVD player installed along with other neat mods. It seems to me that the music system fuse (between the battery & alternator )(pic attached ) has been fried, coz I remember when I tried to start the car, i had the door lights, headlights and music system on.. and it started for a second and just died. No lights, no sound whatsoever.

I somehow managed to jumpstart it and it ran for 3-4 mins before dying again. Looks like the fried fuse is not letting the alternator charge the car. I still dont know if its a alternator problem. I checked with the AutoZone guys and they haven't seen anything like this fuse before. I want to save a few bucks by fixing this myself.

Have you guys had any such problem? I am new to working on the electronics on the car as well. Kindly help.

Thanks,
AllStar
2006 OB Coupe 6MT

Attached Thumbnails Need Urgent help - Car dead-imag0263.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010 | 01:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
That fuse going to pretty much everything on the car, and *SHOULDN'T* be used to fuse the aftermarket system. It's fused for all the components on the car, not for a high-powered amp.

You shouldn't be connected to that side of the terminal with an aftermarket system.

Your amp wire, which should have its own fuse should be connected directly to the terminal contacting the post.

Disconnect your amp wire from that side, replace the fuse (not sure where to get that one other than the dealership) and cut down that black plastic in the lefthand side of the first terminal to connect your amp wire.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-09-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2010 | 02:59 PM
|
Thanks Wrathernaut for the quick response.

Some more info is that the entire setup is currently on the +ve side of the battery. Also, the black plastic is part of a housing.. It also has 3 additional fuses below (not shown in pic) which are going into the car. I am somehow not able to pull out the clamps below to pull out the housing (they seem to be sticking quite hard).

I have some questions based on your responses.
1. Do all G35s have that fuse installed?

2. I didnt quite understand what you meant when you said trim down the black plastic. Can you please elaborate?

3. Can I just disconnect the amp wire, remove fuse housing, charge the battery with a battery charger, just connect back alternator wire without housing and try to see if the car will start and stay running until I get to a shop? I doubt I can get the car towed as it wont start. Even if it does, by the time I can get it onto the flat bed of the tow truck, it might just die again. Is it safe to do this?

What do you think? (see attachment)

Thanks,
AllStar.

Attached Thumbnails Need Urgent help - Car dead-fuse.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010 | 03:35 PM
in a nut shell...

remove amp wire from terminal. replace the blown fuse. car should start.

mount amp wire where Wrathernaut has pictured.

Old 11-09-2010 | 07:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Okay, so the wire in the bottom right is an upgraded alternator wire? If so, you need to check it *very* carefully - feel every single square millimeter of it to feel for a spot that where the protective jacket has been nicked, rubbed through, or doesn't feel right, and it may have grounded out. If there's any suspect location, that wire needs to be replaced, hopefully you have the stock one still in place, and not connected.

If the wire is good, replace the fuse, disconnect the amp from the terminal and then, try charging the battery.

It really sounds like that upgraded alternator wire grounded out, blowing the fuse, so it's very important to fix that before trying anything else.

You don't have to disconnect anything from the housing to get it off the battery, if I recall correctly.

1) Yes, all G35s have that fuse there.

2) The amp terminal won't fit on that screw without removing some of the plastic - it seems it was already done to the plastic where it currently sits, just cut some off to make it fit on the terminal I pointed out.

3) Remove the amp wire, yes. Replace the fuse, charge the battery, and try to start it.

Originally Posted by allstar
Thanks Wrathernaut for the quick response.

Some more info is that the entire setup is currently on the +ve side of the battery. Also, the black plastic is part of a housing.. It also has 3 additional fuses below (not shown in pic) which are going into the car. I am somehow not able to pull out the clamps below to pull out the housing (they seem to be sticking quite hard).

I have some questions based on your responses.
1. Do all G35s have that fuse installed?

2. I didnt quite understand what you meant when you said trim down the black plastic. Can you please elaborate?

3. Can I just disconnect the amp wire, remove fuse housing, charge the battery with a battery charger, just connect back alternator wire without housing and try to see if the car will start and stay running until I get to a shop? I doubt I can get the car towed as it wont start. Even if it does, by the time I can get it onto the flat bed of the tow truck, it might just die again. Is it safe to do this?

What do you think? (see attachment)

Thanks,
AllStar.

Old 11-10-2010 | 12:58 PM
|
Thank you so much. This is great information. I was able to somehow remove the fuse housing from the car yest night and the alternator wire looks good. I will be going to the dealer to buy the fuse (unless there is a cheaper online store where I can buy it).

Also, I did check that the Amp wire has a fuse of its own and I dont have to worry about that.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks a ton!

Regards,
AllStar

Old 11-10-2010 | 07:38 PM
When you go to the dealership to buy the fuse, buy at least two of them.

If the fuse blows again you have major issues. If it doesn't, you have a spare fuse.

Old 11-11-2010 | 10:03 AM
|
Yeah. I think I had the headlights, music system, cabin lights, and one or both of the heated seats on when I tried to start the car. Maybe it couldnt handle all the power at once. Could this be the problem?

Old 11-11-2010 | 01:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
I'm pretty sure the seats don't draw power the the starter's turning, but regardless, it should handle everything the car can draw just fine.

The stock radio turns off when starting, which will shut your amp off, since your amp power signal will be turned off at the radio. The seats, similarly shouldn't try and draw power when the starter's engaged, so it may come down to your starter causing the fuse to blow out.

Get the two fuses, replace it, charge the battery and try starting it again. If you're lucky it was just a fluke, if not, then you may need professional help.

Old 11-11-2010 | 05:27 PM
|
Hmmm.. Could be. I just bought the fuse now. The darn dealership charged $60 for it and now found an online store that is selling the same for $17 . I will hook it up and let you know how it works.

Like you said, I hope this was a fluke.

AllStar

Old 11-11-2010 | 07:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Fuses blowing is rarely a fluke, so I'd order that fuse now to have it ready if you ever get stranded.

Old 11-11-2010 | 09:32 PM
Hmmm.. Could be. I just bought the fuse now. The darn dealership charged $60 for it and now found an online store that is selling the same for $17 . I will hook it up and let you know how it works.

Like you said, I hope this was a fluke.

AllStar
can you post a link to that site?

Old 11-15-2010 | 10:04 PM
|
Finally replaced the fuse and the car is running fine. Got the alternator and other electronics checked and they seem to be good as well. I havent connected the amp wire yet. Will probably get that checked first for any electrical drains before setting it up.

Thanks a lot guys! It was fun learning to fix the car.

AllStar

Old 11-15-2010 | 11:20 PM
|
Hi Stephen,

Here is the link:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/24381m-...ml?cPath=4032&

Regards!

Old 11-16-2010 | 11:27 AM
Hi Stephen,

Here is the link:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/24381m-...ml?cPath=4032&