Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

My DD install-Clarion NX 500 DVD/GPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
My DD install-Clarion NX 500 DVD/GPS

Yesterday I did my own double DIN installation. I will not reiterate the steps-big thanks go to members who posted good how-to's on this forum.
I changed center console colour-I used SEM plastic prep and paint to go "landau black". I plan to match door pull covers too, but with just a bit more gloss.
Unit is Clarion NX 500, DVD, Nav, Blutooth with A2DP audio streaming and touchscreen.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-NX-500-.html
Because of unfriendly time of the year I did not install 4 channel amp I have lying around-I used Bose integration harness and plugged Clarion RCA into RCA on the harness. I think I lost use of factory sub, but I don't really care-I have MB Quart components up front which have enough good quality bass(and not boom like factory sub). I will install an amp in spring. Sound quality is very good. EQ is useless.
Taking dash apart took about 15 minutes. Most of the time was consumed by making new unit fit into the bracket and relocating dash vents. You have to be very careful and patient there, or clips will shear. I broke 1 or 2, but put dabs of clear silicone there to hold them from vibrating.
I had just a short trip with NAV, voice commands are very clear, with streets pronounced right. If I ignore the directions, it instantly re-maps my route.

Overall-this is not a difficult job. Dual climate control button does not have pins going through circuit board, it just sits on the top. I was surprised how easy it was to re-solder it, but I have considerable experience with soldering. In any case-steady hand is a MUST!
I reused factory mounting bracket, but I had to drill few new holes in it to line up HU face flush with console finisher.
Finally-I was stupid enough to disconnect yellow plug on glove compartment and start car with it disconnected. Got an "air bag" light...killed it with ignition key trick

Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work. looks like its a perfect match for the stock black interior. What kind of paint did you use?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by johnnydarko
Nice work. looks like its a perfect match for the stock black interior. What kind of paint did you use?
http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?cat=36

Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Looks good and clean, too bad the color of the headunit illumination is all blue.

The custom colors are one of the reasons I like the Pioneer headunits these days.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
looks nice.. seem like u matched the paint up very well.. does the steering wheel control still work

Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice unit. I run the Clarion VX400. With the intergration with the stock Bose amp, you will lose your subs. What I did was unplug the rear RCA's and plug in the SUB RCA's to the rear RCA on the metra harness kit. Subs are there, but not as loud.

I have my amp being delivered Wed. and will be installing it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
looks nice.. seem like u matched the paint up very well.. does the steering wheel control still work
No, I did not bother with steering controls. It had to be a quick job because of bad weather and stock unit crapping out 50% of the time.
All creature comforts would have to wait until spring.
Unit has a provision for intergating SWC.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by spoolinupblue
Nice unit. I run the Clarion VX400. With the intergration with the stock Bose amp, you will lose your subs. What I did was unplug the rear RCA's and plug in the SUB RCA's to the rear RCA on the metra harness kit. Subs are there, but not as loud.

I have my amp being delivered Wed. and will be installing it over Thanksgiving weekend.
My plan is to ditch rear speakers completely and use 3 channel set up. I've done that in the past- it suits my listening preferences.
If we have any warm days here in Ontario this year I will try to switch-I was careful enough to put harness in accessible place, so I will not have to take everything apart again, just the shifter trim.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wii that dash kit fit a 2005 x sedan? pretty much the only difference is that my temp control is a ****,not a button.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts