Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Please help me keep my nav voice!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me keep my nav voice!!

Hi friends,

Since Wrathernaut removed the instructions how to keep the nav voice, I have no Idea anymore how to go about keeping the nav voice.

If anyone has done this, please help me out. I will be installing my stuff this coming Saturday.

Please Please Please....

Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
The easiest method is a small powered speaker connected to the voice signal wires.

The relay method I previously had posted had issues if your mute wire was anything but one that when receiving +12v muted the audio signal.

I'll be back with my car in less than two months now, so if you can go without voice for that period of time, my instructions will be up and tested, with a parts list, pictures and video.

A setup that would *not* mute all audio, but just swap the audio signal for the front-left speaker is a "universal" method that just requires you get the proper relay (10v, DC, DPDT).

Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want to update your navi to 6.8.. which is updated to newer maps pm me.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The easiest method is a small powered speaker connected to the voice signal wires.

The relay method I previously had posted had issues if your mute wire was anything but one that when receiving +12v muted the audio signal.

I'll be back with my car in less than two months now, so if you can go without voice for that period of time, my instructions will be up and tested, with a parts list, pictures and video.

A setup that would *not* mute all audio, but just swap the audio signal for the front-left speaker is a "universal" method that just requires you get the proper relay (10v, DC, DPDT).
What do you mean by not muting all audio? So only the left front speaker will be muted to give way to the nav voice?

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, all the others keep playing, but the front left would switch from playing music, to doing the voice, then back to music.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Yeah, all the others keep playing, but the front left would switch from playing music, to doing the voice, then back to music.
Do you think if the rest of the speakers are not muted, the front left will get overpowered and not be heard?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

It'll still be powered just fine - if you're using an external amp. If you're relying on the headunit's internal amp, then it won't be heard.

Also, it's volume will be independent of the other speaker's volume or the volume dial, so if it's overpowered, just turn down your speakers.

I haven't used the stock navigation enough to remember if it has its own volume control. I had been in Hawaii where there's no map coverage for the first 6 months of ownership, and I've been deployed for the last 11 months and had the Z110BT installed with its own navigation, so I never gave the factory nav a shot.

I will, however, spend some time and a few bucks to put together a solution for those who want to keep their navigation voice with aftermarket stereos. I'm really very surprised that such a simple device isn't produced by scosche, metra, or other manufacturers.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-19-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Cool..yeah there is a volume control for the nav voice. I could probably just increase it a little..

I think this simpler solution will be fine for now until you find a new way in a few months.

I still don't remember how to wire the dpdt relay, so could you please send me or post the picture you had I'm the sticky?

I bought a 12v DPDT relay from radio shack.. It's pins are numbered from 1-8..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The 12v relay hasn't worked for everyone (you will still need one for my updated instructions though) since the voltage from the nav voice signal is more like +10v. This has led to a lot of the problems some people have had. If the voltage isn't enough to trip the relay, the under-current is liable to cause damage to the relay or cause other problems.

I'm going for a dual-relay setup, since solid state relays can work on a much wider range of voltages, it will be used to switch a true 12v source to power a 12v DPDT (no mute) or 3PDT relay (mute).

Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Hmm..so that means I have to buy another relay.... I will just go without the voice until you post new Instructions

Old 11-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Hmm..so that means I have to buy another relay.... I will just go without the voice until you post new Instructions

Old 11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, if you want to guinea pig the install, we can do it, but you'd probably end up with your radio out for at least a day or two if there's any issues.

Better solution found below, deleted this to avoid confusion.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-21-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Remove unnecessarily complicated instructions.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks.. I wonder if could get that solid state one locally..

Old 11-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

It's not particularly uncommon, it's a solid state one that can actually handle a moderate load on the switched side, instead of one more suited for small electronics.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:40 AM
It's not particularly uncommon, it's a solid state one that can actually handle a moderate load on the switched side, instead of one more suited for small electronics.
I will be starting the install just about 8 hours from now. I wonder if I should just give the 12v DPDT relay a try and see if it works. What do you think Wrathernaut?

Edit: I was browsing around looking for other alternatives and found this: http://www.frys.com/product/6401152?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
I know it is a 5-6v DPDT relay but the spec sheet says that it is capable of handling up to 200% of the rated voltage. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the spec sheet is accurate our problem with the 12v relay will be fixed.
I read over this 350z forum that some guy used a 6v relay to retain his nav voice and it worked. I am assuming that it might be applicable to us: http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/120-...market-hu.html

What are your thoughts?
thanks

Last edited by Unleaded91; 11-20-2010 at 03:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please help me keep my nav voice!!