Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Just hooked up some subs, awesome!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just hooked up some subs, awesome!

Bought a Pioneer amp and two 10-inch subs from g35driver member Xsangg last week, and installed them over the weekend! I've never had subs in my trunk before, and I am super pleased with the result.

I wanted to comment on a couple of scattered things I've read over the last week or two about adding subs to the Bose system (coupe).

-I was originally planning on tapping into the wires before the Bose amp and using a LOC (my amp doesn't accept balanced signal), but decided to just hook it all up the "easy" way first, until after the holidays when I feel better about spending $100 on a good LOC. In other words, I tapped into the 6x9 wires AFTER the Bose amp, with no LOC. Much to my surprise, though, I am super happy with how everything turned out and sounds! I have the gain set to "normal" and bass boost off... with fader and bass set to zero at the head unit, and treble at +3, this set-up sounds just about perfect for me. I never put my volume up above 20, so I haven't noticed any bass being cut out passed a certain point, which is what people have complained about with tapping after the bose amp.

If I did want more bass, I can raise the level at the head unit... at +4, I feel like my ribcage is being shattered... I was really only doing this to add some more thump to hip-hop/r&b/dance music, while bringing out a richer bassline in the rock tracks. I'm very happy with the results.

Here are some pictures: I put the amp in the spare tire, but had to raise the trunk floor about 2 inches to have a flat surface.

Attached Thumbnails Just hooked up some subs, awesome!-img-20101219-00035.jpg   Just hooked up some subs, awesome!-img-20101219-00036.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
In my 03 Coupe I hooked mine up same as you. I blew both rear deck speakers so I put a Rockford 125 and a Pioneer 10. I blew the 10 jammin to some Megadeath on the way to work so I ended up switching to a Boston Amp and Boston Pro 10. WOW it sounded great. That stuff will be going in my Mustang this winter...

Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
It's not just a LOC you need, you need something that converts balanced to unbalanced like the MTX REQ. A simple LOC doesn't fix the low-level signal at all.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did your Pioneer amp have a high level input or did you just run wire from the stock BOSE sub out to your RCA amp input?

cant really tell from your amp pic.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Wrathernaut: Yes I read all about it, which is why I decided to wait until after the holidays so I could purchase a quality LOC that converts balanced to unbalanced... the MTX REQ and the Navone seem to be the ones most people recommend.

@spoolinupblue: Yes, the amp has speaker-level inputs so it was a direct connection. If your amp doesn't have high-level inputs, you'll have to buy a high-low level converter to plug into your amps low-level RCA inputs. The signal is already unbalanced after Bose amp though, so any high-low converter should work.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Spend that money on a deq or a processor

Don't waste anymore money toward a loc