Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window control module keeps BURNING out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window control module keeps BURNING out

hey dudes,

first off, for the ppl who don't know me yet: i'm from holland, i have the japanese version of the G35, so it's the Nissan Skyline 350GT, and neither this car nor the G35 have ever been sold in europe. my car is one of 3 in the country, and maybe on of 30 or so in europe, so getting replacement parts is a BIG pain in the butt.
i really hope any of u can help me out here, as i'm reaching the point of desperation after 8 months of patience, pain, and anticipation, and i'm only this far from sending my car to the scrap yard as it is...

so, here's a short version of the story:

Unknown scooter or motorbike rider smashed into my car at night while it was parked, passenger side door + window + side mirror smashed, searched for a replacement door + window + mirror, found one after weeks of searching, stripped the door down and took it off, and put new door on and installed new window into the door.
It got late and i can only work outside on the street so i left the rest for the next day. Overnight, rain seeped into the inner door thru a gap i had overseen, which normally would be covered by the mirror, but that wasnt fitted yet. The module with the circuit board in it and the window switch attached to it and was hanging inside the door for the time being, and got wet. And i'm talking WET, as in, hold-it-upside-down-and-water-pours-out-wet.
I hadn't fount that out yet tho until i switched on the ignition the next day to try out the window, which would go down, but wouldn't go up again.
So, after discovering the module was wet, i opened it up, which revealed what u see in the pic above. AAARGHH.
After dealing with my utter frustration, i went on a long painful hunt for a Nissan Skyline 350GT passenger door side window control module thingy, since the G35 ones are slightly different and probably have different connection/wiring points. Found one in the end, in the UK, and bought it for way too much money. Connected it, switched on ignition, tried window again, didn't do anything (i did hear a clicking sound), and suddenly i felt the module was rapidly becoming pretty warm. I immediately switched off the ignition and unplugged the module as fast as i could, opened it up, and there it was, again. Melted LED's and some lightbrown burn spots over the circuit board. Not so badly burned out as the 1st one, so i THINK it still should be working, but something is definitely off here and i have no idea where to look for the problem. Is it shorted out somewhere? Is there a power overflow?

PLEASE, HELP...