Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Cutting stock speakers from door??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2011 | 08:59 AM
|
Cutting stock speakers from door??

After all these years Im finally redoing the whole stereo in the car. Well dropped the car off yesterday and just awhile ago got a call from the shop to advise me that I will not be getting the stock Bose speakers back, which is no big thing. Anyways they said that the way the door panels and the speakers are built, you have to cut them out so the new ones can fit....is this normal?? Anyone got any pics of the factory bose speaker molded into the door. Thanks for any help!!!

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:08 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Sounds like they're using the flimsy Bose speaker frame instead of doing the right thing and making a solid speaker spacer with some MDF, like any good shop would do, or buying them from www.zenclosures.com.

It's "normal" in that they need to space the speaker from the door skin, but using the crappy plastic ones that the Bose ones sat in is a serious fail.

Here's what a good speaker spacer (with the speaker's adapter ring on top) should look like:

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:12 AM
I didnt have to cut my stock ones out. Never heard of that before.

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:34 AM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Sounds like they're using the flimsy Bose speaker frame instead of doing the right thing and making a solid speaker spacer with some MDF, like any good shop would do, or buying them from www.zenclosures.com.

It's "normal" in that they need to space the speaker from the door skin, but using the crappy plastic ones that the Bose ones sat in is a serious fail.

Here's what a good speaker spacer (with the speaker's adapter ring on top) should look like:
Thanks for the response. They are actually making a spacer speaker frame thing for my new door speakers, sorry I didnt mention that earlier. They just said to do all of that they would have to cut out the bose speakers.

Project-I thought the same thing but I guess if you have to make a spacer thing then you have to.

Like I said before it doesnt matter to me anyways if they had to or not. I would never go back to stock anyways. O yea if yall were wondering getting Hertz HSK speakers all inside,dynomat all the doors,deck and trunk, JL XD400/4 and JL XD600/1 amp,JL 8W7 in a custom box thats going to look like the 4080 box. Cant wait!!!DOMO

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:55 AM
you shouldnt have to cut them out

they are held in with basic bolts

Old 03-22-2011 | 01:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
you shouldnt have to cut them out

they are held in with basic bolts
Yep. They just unscrew from the door.

The only reason they would cut the Bose in any way is to re-use the spacers. And the Bose spacers suck.

Old 03-24-2011 | 10:37 AM
I was able to unscrew mine then cut the factor speaker plug. I used the same speaker spacer shown above too. Sounds beautful now!

Old 03-24-2011 | 08:54 PM
Sounds like some bullish to me. The speakers are simply bolted in. I think this is your que to find a new shop that isnt full of idiots

Old 03-24-2011 | 10:05 PM
I would bet they plan on using the Bose spacer as a template so they can make their own baffle. This would require you to pretty much destroy the backside of the basket, motor and suspension of the speaker. If I owned a shop that last thing I would do is buy a damn baffle off Ebay when you can just make one in house.

Old 03-25-2011 | 09:32 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
You don't need to destroy the speaker to make a template from the basket. Circles don't need templates, and you can get the screw hole locations with a pencil.

I wouldn't buy them from eBay either if I owned a shop, a router and a drill would do the job just fine, but there's still no need to destroy the speaker for this.