Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Dynamat the trunk?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dynamat the trunk?????

Looking to Dynamat the trunk floor of my 06 coupe.Were is the best place/price online?Then how much do I need for the job?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Thx.
Can I use both together?Fisrt spary down the DAPtex,then apply the damplifer-pro?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
What are you looking to do..get rid of noise?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Well, I'm really looking to quiet down some of the exhaust drone I have.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Vibration dampener (like SDS's CLD tiles, Second Skin or *ick* Dynamat) isn't good for reducing low drone. You'll want some closed-cell foam at least, and even better, add some mass-loaded vinyl barrier to cut out exhaust drone.

Here's the best source for both information and products for sound deadening:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Their CLD tiles *rock*!

Dynamat sucks hardcore when compared to the competition.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm actually going to buy 80sq.ft of Damplifier Pro for my trunk to reduce road noise. I'm going to try it without all the foam stuff first.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
I'm actually going to buy 80sq.ft of Damplifier Pro for my trunk to reduce road noise. I'm going to try it without all the foam stuff first.
Unless our trunk has 320 sq. ft of surface area, that's a *HUGE* waste.

Damplifier pro is a vibration dampener, not a noise barrier. Once vibration is controlled (25% coverage) you're using the wrong (and most expensive) tool for the job by doing it that way.

I used about 6 CLD tiles (about 6 sq. feet) in my trunk and nothing vibrates at all.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The idea isn't to cover every square inch of surface area with vibration dampener. Like Wrathernaut said above, you only need 25% coverage for a flat surface. If the metal has a bunch of bends and valleys it isn't going to vibrate. That's not to say it won't help in those areas but the return on investment isn't as great.

If you want to make your vehicle quiet you need to use MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I would line the floor and the area behind your seats. It is meant to have no gaps only where necessary. Of course you would still need the dampener with some closed cell foam on it, then the MLV installed on top of everything else.

To be dead honest, I think your throwing your money down the drain on dynamat. Another company to look at is Raamaudio.com. They have a very good dampener (which I use) as well as a closed cell foam (also use) with adhesive on the back already.

In my opinion Damplifier Pro is a waste of money. The regular Damplifier is sufficient and I'm sure other's would agree. Once vibration is controlled, it's controlled the added thickness just equates to more money and isn't needed.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
OK were do I get this stuff? -closed-cell foam or mass-loaded vinyl barrier

Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Raamaudio sells CCF(closed cell foam) I would recommend you get the peel & stick. You can find MLV on ebay. I've bought some from soundproofcow.com in the past. Keep in mind that MVL is very heavy for what it is. The roll I have is 2lbs. per square foot, while most is 1lbs per square foot. Shipping will be expensive for MLV.

In my last order from rammaudio I bought one pack of 37.5 sq ft. of deadener and 3 yards of P & S CCF and I think it was around $160 shipped to my door. You should be able to do your whole car with 37.5 sq ft as long as you only put it where needed.

Last edited by nar93da; 05-23-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by nar93da
The idea isn't to cover every square inch of surface area with vibration dampener. Like Wrathernaut said above, you only need 25% coverage for a flat surface. If the metal has a bunch of bends and valleys it isn't going to vibrate. That's not to say it won't help in those areas but the return on investment isn't as great.

If you want to make your vehicle quiet you need to use MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I would line the floor and the area behind your seats. It is meant to have no gaps only where necessary. Of course you would still need the dampener with some closed cell foam on it, then the MLV installed on top of everything else.

To be dead honest, I think your throwing your money down the drain on dynamat. Another company to look at is Raamaudio.com. They have a very good dampener (which I use) as well as a closed cell foam (also use) with adhesive on the back already.

In my opinion Damplifier Pro is a waste of money. The regular Damplifier is sufficient and I'm sure other's would agree. Once vibration is controlled, it's controlled the added thickness just equates to more money and isn't needed.
So would you suggest using Damplifier and then MLV on top of it? I'm scared it would be too thick and I can't put all the panels back.

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Unless our trunk has 320 sq. ft of surface area, that's a *HUGE* waste.

Damplifier pro is a vibration dampener, not a noise barrier. Once vibration is controlled (25% coverage) you're using the wrong (and most expensive) tool for the job by doing it that way.

I used about 6 CLD tiles (about 6 sq. feet) in my trunk and nothing vibrates at all.
I wanted to buy a bunch now in case I wanted to do other areas of the car.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by nar93da
Raamaudio sells CCF(closed cell foam) I would recommend you get the peel & stick. You can find MLV on ebay. I've bought some from soundproofcow.com in the past. Keep in mind that MVL is very heavy for what it is. The roll I have is 2lbs. per square foot, while most is 1lbs per square foot. Shipping will be expensive for MLV.

In my last order from rammaudio I bought one pack of 37.5 sq ft. of deadener and 3 yards of P & S CCF and I think it was around $160 shipped to my door. You should be able to do your whole car with 37.5 sq ft as long as you only put it where needed.
Said it comes "14 sq ft per running yard, 56" wide!"
How much do I need?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by akaneedles
Said it comes "14 sq ft per running yard, 56" wide!"
How much do I need?
Best thing to do is measure the area you want to cover and do a little math. That foam is great for stopping rattles and such in between panels.

I would only put the MLV on entire floor if you were going to do it. I know for a fact you can place it behind the door panel as you can't get it back on. It's best to use CCF to decouple the MLV.

Instead of me just typing, it's time to do some research. Here are some links for good reads. Should keep anyone busy for a while.

http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?o...&id=3&Itemid=4

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm just going to thug life it and install B-Quiet Ultimate first. I'll report after it's done but it won't be for awhile though. I still have to install my suspension, wheels, BBK, wait for car to be repainted, and install my DD (shout out to Wrathernaut!).