Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remaining issue with PAC and new head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remaining issue with PAC and new head unit

I've got my Pioneer 3200 BT up and running, and resolved the SW programming problem (bad tap connector!). One last thing is the lack of radio antenna signal. I am getting some FM (but weak) and nothing on AM. To me, it's running like no antennae connection is being made.

My next debugging tasks are to manipulate individual connector points (antennae adapter and plug connector into radio) to see if this changes anything.

Should I also be looking for loose connections in the blue wire, "power antennae" line? My G35 has a windshield antennae.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 PM
No loose connections found. Disconnecting the antennae input to the radio definately disables whatever weak FM reception there is, so the input wiring is doing 'something'. Still no AM reception. Prior to new head unit, all radio reception was fine with factory head unit.

Thoughts?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no need the power antenna connection. If I remember correctly when I did mine there was an antenna adapter to plug in both antenna connectors, try that. The stock uses a diversity antenna which choses the better of the two.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM
only antennae connection from my stock head unit is a dual pin, round body connector. I am using the PAC antennae adaptor to connect this to the coaxial antenae plug on the Pioneer head unit.

My current working theory is that the antennae adapter is 'bad'...broken wire, perhaps? I've gone around and around with this one and keep coming back to this fundamental conclusion. Anyone else had a 'bad' one?

Rick

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by rbunch4468
Should I also be looking for loose connections in the blue wire, "power antennae" line? My G35 has a windshield antennae.

Thanks,

Rick
Your G35 also has an antenna amplifier that's powered by the power antenna wire, without it, that thin filament in the windshield doesn't pick up much of anything.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 AM
sounds exactly like my symptoms... I would like to run a +12V jumper directly to the antenna amplifier to test this out. If it is simply an issue of not getting power to the antenna amp, that should resolve it, then I can either make a permanent direct power connection, or figure out where the missing connection is.

Where do I access the antennae amplifier?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
sounds exactly like my symptoms... I would like to run a +12V jumper directly to the antenna amplifier to test this out. If it is simply an issue of not getting power to the antenna amp, that should resolve it, then I can either make a permanent direct power connection, or figure out where the missing connection is.

Where do I access the antennae amplifier?
It's behind the drivers side c-pillar trim.

It seems a lot of the aftermarket head units don't push enough power to turn on the amplifier, a common solution is to connect the antenna amp wire to the cigarette lighter instead.

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks! By the way, your writeup of the required components and installation was a BIG help. Re the antenna power...I used a modified 'tap' connector to bridge together the red (switched 12V) and the blue (antenna power) on the 'stock' side of the original audio connector (I'm not a big fan of these connectors, but in this case I made an exception). I had measured 0V at the solid blue wire on the Infiniti stock side of the audio connector during this morning's debugging, and jumpered a temporary +12 over there...voila!

I'm not sure what connection I missed hooking up the PAC adapter. But, sure enough that was my problem. Time to put the dash back together.

Cheers,

Rick

The following users liked this post:
Bulleh (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks! By the way, your writeup of the required components and installation was a BIG help. Re the antenna power...I used a modified 'tap' connector to bridge together the red (switched 12V) and the blue (antenna power) on the 'stock' side of the original audio connector (I'm not a big fan of these connectors, but in this case I made an exception). I had measured 0V at the solid blue wire on the Infiniti stock side of the audio connector during this morning's debugging, and jumpered a temporary +12 over there...voila!

I'm not sure what connection I missed hooking up the PAC adapter. But, sure enough that was my problem. Time to put the dash back together.

Cheers,

Rick
Thanks, this just helped me a great deal! Perfect timing too. I had the same issue when I had a 350z and I was wondering why, but since I was doing this install myself I was determined to fix that.