Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

06 G35x, non bose adding bluetooth and ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011 | 12:25 PM
|
06 G35x, non bose adding bluetooth and ipod

I recently purchased a G35x and want to add blue tooth and ipod (aux jack) connectivity. I don't have a satellite radio button, can I still add the PAX setup?

I am on a budget and was thinking of getting the Metra kit and a head unit from Crutchfield. I could get a single din Kenwood for around $200 that would do everything I want. Add to that the steering wheel controls and the Metra kit for 1/2 off if you get a receiver over $150 from Crutchfield, I would be looking at just over $300. Is it better to go that route or look for something else? Audio quality is important, so I don't want an FM transmitter, but i am not expecting concert quality sound, I would probably be perfectly happy with CD / MP3 quality through the stock stereo if that was cheaper.

For Bluetooth, I could just get a Garmin that includes Bluetooth and that would probably be fine as well.

I am open to suggestions, options.

Old 06-29-2011 | 06:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
If you're fine with MP3 quality sound, get the PAC iSimple IS77, it is a wired FM modulator, and sounds about as good as any AUX input I've heard. You'll need antenna adapters and reverse adapters to convert the nissan diversity antenna to motorola and back.

Old 06-29-2011 | 10:25 PM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If you're fine with MP3 quality sound, get the PAC iSimple IS77, it is a wired FM modulator, and sounds about as good as any AUX input I've heard. You'll need antenna adapters and reverse adapters to convert the nissan diversity antenna to motorola and back.
I would prefer the one that can also control the radio. I don't mind the spending on the nicer PAC model that also charges and allows some remedial control. I just want to confirm if it will work with my radio, and if so, will disable any other functions (somebody said I had to use the CD button to get it working, does that mean I will loose my CD player?)

Old 06-30-2011 | 08:43 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
If you're willing to pay for a better device like that, just go with an aftermarket headunit. The improvement in user interface and getting rid of the extremely failure-prone factory headunit is e easily worth the price bump, especially since you'll very likely have to replace the headunit at some point anyway.

Old 06-30-2011 | 09:16 AM
|
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If you're willing to pay for a better device like that, just go with an aftermarket headunit. The improvement in user interface and getting rid of the extremely failure-prone factory headunit is e easily worth the price bump, especially since you'll very likely have to replace the headunit at some point anyway.
I am all for an aftermarket head unit, the problem is that it is a heady price jump from the ipod adapter simply for the purpose of the ipod adapter.

My total goal is to have Bluetooth and aux music. I have had Garmin Navigation units for some time and can get the internet connected 1690 on ebay for under $200 (refurbs around $150) and the PAC-15IFI goes for like $130ish on ebay as well. So for $280 I have bluetooth, navi, and an ipod.

even a single din replacement head unit ($200 for a nice kenwood that has bluetooth and ipod) then I need the JDM DD kit (looks like around $300 for everything) plus the steering wheel control thingy (another $50) so I am at $550 or double the price of the Garmin and ipod adapter. And I am not getting an internet connected navi device.

*edit*
I prefer the clean look of a factory head unit anyway. Aftermarket looks really good if I could afford a double din Navi unit, but that would easily send the project cost close to (If not over) $1000. as a side note, I did really like that new pioneer head unit that is like a giant iphone accessory. $500 and it uses the GPS chip in your phone for navigation and your phone's internet connection for pandora, netflix, hulu, etc.

Old 06-30-2011 | 02:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Going the adapter route is cheaper now, but the adapter will be nearly worthless out the headunit goes out.