Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Navigation for Rookie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Navigation for Rookie

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a G35 Coupe and I would rather purchase an aftermarket GPS Navigation system to allow for a few items not available through the stock version:

1) Ability to add additional accessories, such as remote, TV tuner, rear camera, etc.
2) Play DVD movies
3) Quality of screen and options

I was made aware of the aftermarket one (http://www.digitalwheelz.com/index.html) which mimics the screen stock through reading some of the posts in this forum. However, I have a couple of questions...

I am not sure what California law states about this, but I am pretty sure you are able to watch DVD movies in the front seat area, but it is generally not installed that way, correct? If so, what is the best place and procedure to install it where DVDs can be played in the front?

The second question is more generic...what is the best combination of a DVD/CD system with TV tuner and Navigation? When I first thought about it, I figured I should purchase one of the Pioneer ones with the 7 inch screens and get a DVD changer in the trunk. This would give me a CD/MP3 front loading player in the front, and an additional 8-disc (DVD Nav, DVD Movies, and CDs) in the back. However, I am sure you guys know much more than I do. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best overall package or combination of different 3rd party products which would allow me to do the following without having to change CD/DVDs all the time:

1) Navigation
2) CD/MP3 Playback
3) DVD movie playback

Last question...I don't know anything about installation of all these aftermarket items, where is the best place to do these?

I live in North San Diego, California if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sincerely,
Rookie Smaq

Last edited by smaq; 12-06-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its illegal to have DVDs playing in the driver's view whenever the car is in motion in every state. Most states allow you to have a DVD player hooked up to screen in the front seat as long as it becomes disabled when teh car is in motion. Most DVD players have an option to be disabled when the car is in park. Rear view cameras, navigation, mp3 systems, can generally be used while driving. Whatever car audio shop does your install should be familiar with the exact laws that apply in your state and most will only do the install so it complies with all the laws unless you specifically request otherwise.

I use a carputer for my NAV / Video / Music / Performance data and use wifi and an 80 gig harddrive and never need to use CDs or DVDs. I personally don't much care for those headunit things, but if your gonna use one of them you'll need to get a double DIN conversion kit for the G35 (~$400) first. There are a ton of posts on here of where to get them. Whatever screen you do get make sure it has at least 300 nits brightness, the more the better though.

If you r getting at a 2005, be aware the digitalwheelz screen has not yet been tested with a 2005 coupe, but I am shipping one to someone with a 2005 this week whos going to try and get it to work though.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:19 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

Since u live in SD, why not drive an hour to where i got my stuff installed. I got my stuff installed in Mission Viejo at a shop called SOUND ADVICE. THey do a really good job... see below for pics:

CLICK HERE FOR PICS

I also have the AVN 2454 Eclipse aftermarket navi. Its great.

WHere would you install it.. get a Double Din kit and an AC controller and install that puppy where ur stock radio is.. You won't need that anymore!

The owner is actually a G member as well. PM: remami His name is Rudy. Let him know that i sent you and he'll take good care of you. If he doesn't let me know! I will be down there again in a bout a week and a half too! Lots of G owners have taken their car there and they have been very satisfied..

Ed