Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

"Good enough" solution to the 05-07 DD kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
That's pretty unique solution.
Impressive out of the box thinking.
Not enough room outside of the box, had to think inside

Old 11-28-2014, 09:51 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
how did the spring return to center worked on original turn ****? I forget.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by JOKER
how did the spring return to center worked on original turn ****? I forget.
There's no spring return on the original turn ****, it just rotates freely like most rotary encoders do, letting a little decoder chip that figures out which direction it's being turned. I wish I could make it stay like that, but it's way beyond a simple mod.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:12 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
There's no spring return on the original turn ****, it just rotates freely like most rotary encoders do, letting a little decoder chip that figures out which direction it's being turned. I wish I could make it stay like that, but it's way beyond a simple mod.
oh yes, that's right. this is a temp ****.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Another weekly update.

Got the soldering done to the factory board, I'm going to see if I can find some thinner heatshrink since those wires are so thin, then I'll join up the two boards for the monster frankenboard and do in-car testing.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Minor update - got most of the board connections done, but I've found that the stock system has some of the buttons either run with the common signal wire on the opposite side, or the non-common side shares a connection, so either I need to simply swap the wiring around on those, or I'll try de-soldering the buttons and rotating them 90 degrees so they don't have any "wired" connection with the circuit board, just a physical mounting one.

I confirmed this with a completed unmodified trim board, so I know I didn't just solder across a few terminals.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Minor update - got most of the board connections done, but I've found that the stock system has some of the buttons either run with the common signal wire on the opposite side, or the non-common side shares a connection, so either I need to simply swap the wiring around on those, or I'll try de-soldering the buttons and rotating them 90 degrees so they don't have any "wired" connection with the circuit board, just a physical mounting one.

I confirmed this with a completed unmodified trim board, so I know I didn't just solder across a few terminals.
You think this would ever turn into a diy? I know a few posts ago you said its far from simple, but if someone has a novice to amateur amount of experience could a simplified schematic be created?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
I always wanted to install a DD kit but alas my car came with the wood trim and the silver DD din trim would look way out of place. I remember a member actually cutting his OEM radio with wood trim and installing JDM controls, but I dont have the patience or skill for that.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:56 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
I was going to originally tackle this my self, but now that I read Wrathernaut updated it's more and more appears to me like a dark forest.

From the posts I don't think I would have done it without someone else's help.

I wonder if it would be easier just to make a custom board that would fit OEM buttons that we could use with modified trim ?

I think cutting trim is something that regular DIYer can do.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
I'd like to know if I could mod the oem bazel and a/c to a dd.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
You think this would ever turn into a diy? I know a few posts ago you said its far from simple, but if someone has a novice to amateur amount of experience could a simplified schematic be created?
The soldering is a bit involved, but the reason I'm taking my time is so that it can be done DIY. So long as there are JDM climate controls available, there's really no good reason to go through with this, ever, but where the lapses of available of JDM trim and climate controls seems to grow longer and longer, we won't be able to count on them always being made.

With this method, so long as you can get a Metra climate control board, you'll be able to keep the stock look.

There isn't really any schematic, per se, as you're essentially just extending wires from the metra board to the buttons on the JDM board. The "how-to" part will be on how/where to cut, and what parts to use (so far it's just some tactile microswitches from Radio Shack and a small machine screw & bolt, and some tiny heatshrink tubes).

Old 12-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Hogbone
I'd like to know if I could mod the oem bazel and a/c to a dd.
If you get the JDM climate controls you can add them to the factory trim and cut a hole for it: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tock-face.html

Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
If you get the JDM climate controls you can add them to the factory trim and cut a hole for it: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tock-face.html
So what is that you are doing? Did you cut the a/c controls off a single din motherboard?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Hogbone
So what is that you are doing? Did you cut the a/c controls off a single din motherboard?
Nope, I cut the a/c controls off the factory radio/climate control trim.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Nope, I cut the a/c controls off the factory radio/climate control trim.
That's what I meant to say. The a/c controls will not function once you cut it off?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Good enough" solution to the 05-07 DD kit?