Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help! I need opinions about what to do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help! I need opinions about what to do

I have a 05 Coupe 6MT w/o NAVI
I'm 17 and kinda of a noob, I love this car but I want to upgradde my audio cause I hate using CDs and I am tired of listening to the radio.

I want something with a screen, either an after market that fits where the NAVI screen is suppose to go or getting the OEM NAVI and hacking it. I want to have iPod/Aux connection but i also want to have an external hard drive full of music hooked up to it (and display the info on the screen)

I want something similar to this

Please, any help is appriciated, I'm looking for tips and DIY step by step instructions.
Thank you

Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Save yourself a TON of trouble and just get an aftermarket unit. Even a cheap Pioneer 2300DVD will do your external drive and has auxiliary inputs.

The "Hack" shown in that video is just an adapter connected to a video source and a carPC, like mentioned here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...play-dvds.html

Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 AM
The thing about it is, I really dont wanna stray away from the OEM because in my old car (01 Mustang) they broke into my car to steal my HU .

Is there any unit like that would fit where the Navi goes?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Aftermarket double dins pretty much look stock in the g

Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^
hes right, it looks pretty much stock and there is no way someone can steal your double din unless they got time and own a g35 themselves. It bolt on pretty good for a g35 double din, they will most likely to break the screen before they can even remove it.

NICE, clean, and OEM like!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by 713.apalafox.94
The thing about it is, I really dont wanna stray away from the OEM because in my old car (01 Mustang) they broke into my car to steal my HU .

Is there any unit like that would fit where the Navi goes?

Thanks

I just make my old faceplate into a cover for my aftermarket radio:

If you know the car really well, you could tell, but it's decent camouflage.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 07-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
Cooper (04-14-2013), Trickstyle (09-05-2013), Urbanengineer (07-31-2013)
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the input, really appriciate it and you have convinced me. I still plan on replacin my HU for a NAVI one and then getting the DD.

Which one should i get, I'm on a budget but if I'm going to do it I want to do it right and get the best I can. I want to keep my steering wheel controls.

And wrathernaut how did you make that?! When I first started thinking about doing this upgrade, i wanted to do that exact thing but had no idea how to pull it off.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
whats your budget

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM
you know if your car doesn't come with navi and you try to add oem navi... its not an easy job right? specially all the wiring.... I just don't think its worth it

Old 07-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by 713.apalafox.94
Which one should i get, I'm on a budget but if I'm going to do it I want to do it right and get the best I can. I want to keep my steering wheel controls.

And wrathernaut how did you make that?! When I first started thinking about doing this upgrade, i wanted to do that exact thing but had no idea how to pull it off.
I just cut the backs off the buttons and the sides off the trim, then glued everything in place. I made a little extension on the back to hold it in place and that's about it. It's ssg, but not good enough that I'd use it in a how-to. I've just received a new factory trim piece, courtesy off thatoneguy, that may get used for an instructional video on making one yourself.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Eggyhustles: I would like to keep it at about 800 max but if I need to I have 1200 available. For the DD HU. I'll do the installation myself, to save some money but really cause I want to be the only working stripping my G, and I have a lot of friends that know how to do this besides my father.

Truexh: Yea... I thought it would be hard, I really just want it for a screen. I found a couple for 500 and I'm going to see if I can get someone to do all the wiring for a decent price.

Wrathernaut: if you do make how-to please send it to me. If you decide to use the trim for something else then maybe i can send you mine for you to make the tutorial and when your done send it back, we could work something out.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Wrathernaut and tuexh, those look amazing and their just what I'm looking for. What are they and where can I buy them. Also, i'm planning on having whatever I get professionally installed, is that practical or do you have to do a bunch of modifications to make it fit that they probably wouldn't be willing to do?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 PM
I didn't have to do any modification, you have to buy a jdm double din trim and ac controls unit, the harness and antenna adapter for the head unit

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM
How much did that cost you? Where should I look?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by <3Luxery<3Sport
Wrathernaut and tuexh, those look amazing and their just what I'm looking for. What are they and where can I buy them. Also, i'm planning on having whatever I get professionally installed, is that practical or do you have to do a bunch of modifications to make it fit that they probably wouldn't be willing to do?
The headunit in mine is a Pioneer Z110BT (Software upgrade to Z120BT), the trim is JDM DDin trim, modified (by me) to fit a factory-navigation-equipped vehicle.

I do modification of the JDM DDin trim for board members, so long as you cover shipping both ways or give me your old trim/circuit board for my own experimentation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! I need opinions about what to do