Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What Alarm System?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Alarm System?

I just bought my first g35 its lazer red coupe. ill have to post pics up later.

BUt the first thing i wanna do is get a good alarm system on it but they can be pricy, and there are lots of options

whats the best bang for its buck.

thanks Seth

Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm getting a Viper 5902 with a proximity sensor installed this weekend. I'll report back on how I like it.

As far as best bang for the buck, I'd get a 2-way viper system. The 5901 isn't horribly priced. There's a couple other viper 2-ways that you could look into.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really depends on what you want. If you just want to protect the car get any basic name brand alarm system (Viper, Clifford, Compustar, etc). A car alarm is one area you don't want to go "cheap" on - stick with the proven brands.

I've never been a big fan of adding a bunch of sensors to alarms - they just increase false alarms. If you feel you need specialized protection then address the specific issue - if an additional sensor is needed get it, but don't just add them for the sake of adding them.

Remember, the installation is just as important as the alarm system. If you search the internet you'll find horror stories about installations at both big box stores and at ma and pa stores. The key is a good installation is to be involved in the process - talk to the installer and let them know that you want to inspect their work before they put the car back together. If they know you will be looking at the installation they'll do a better job.

The last thing to heavily consider is the remote and how you are going to use it. I have a Clifford 50.5x (I think that is the model number) and it came with two remotes - (1) 1 way and (1) 2 way. I've never used the 2 way because it is too large to fit in my pocket and isn't durable enough to survive if I did carry it with me. I wish I would have shopped around a bit more and found something with high quality remotes.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Been looking into the viper, but if i'm paying full coverage do i really need an alarm system.

I plan to get one but just woundering, if anyone has full coverage and bought a good alarm system also..

Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best part of an alarm is that in many cases it acts as a deterrent encouraging thieves to move on to an easier target.

So, the question becomes, would you rather spend a little money now and prevent someone from breaking in to your car or would you rather take a chance and if something does happen rely on insurance to make it right?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I see that you're in cali, where do you live? My car came with a kill switch from the dealership, if anything else but the keys start the car, it will just lay there dead.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by alic4nte
I see that you're in cali, where do you live? My car came with a kill switch from the dealership, if anything else but the keys start the car, it will just lay there dead.
But you'll still have (potentially) a smashed window, torn up interior and a missing radio.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Ya good points, i hate to argue with my insurance if they dont wanna make it right..

Im located out in rancho cucamonga..

looks like im going to just get one just to feel more safe.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
But you'll still have (potentially) a smashed window, torn up interior and a missing radio.
Very true, but personally for me that's not a concern for me since i don't have anything in my car worth taking as I am bone stock. I was just curious as to whether the OP was more concerned with a stolen vehicle or stolen car parts (although they usually go hand in hand).