Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replacement Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Speakers

I've done a lot of searching through the boards but I have a specific question. I have a 2005 G35 Coupe with the Bose system (no nav). If I understand correctly the Bose system consists of the following:

2x - 1in tweeters
2x - 6.5in speakers in the door panels
2x - 6.5in speakers in the rear panels
2x - 6x9in speakers in the rear deck acting as "woofers"

From my previous car I have the following:

Kenwood Single Din Receiver
Memphis Audio 500 watt amplifier (used to power only my sub in the past)
1x - 12" Kicker L7 in a (huge) box - pretty sure this box won't fit in the coupe
2x - 6.5in Memphis speakers
2x - 6x9in Memphis speakers

In the past (I've had an Accord coupe and a Solara coupe) I've had the two 6x9's in the door panels and the two 6.5's in the rear. From what I've read, most people disconnect or completely remove the rear 6x9s in the G35 when they add a real subwoofer. I'm not sure what I should do with my current collection of audio components. I plan to replace the stock tweeters with two higher quality 1in tweeters. Would I be better off making new holes to fit my Memphis 6x9s in the door panels? My friend who offered to help me install the new stuff suggested I just replace the rear 6x9s with my Memphis 6x9s and leave the rear 6.5's as they are but I thought it would be a bad idea to have the rear 6x9s along with my L7.

Any suggestions? I don't know if speaker size really matters that much in the door panels, or if different speaker sizes are ideal for different speaker locations (6.5 vs. 6x9 in the front/rear, etc.) I could either use my Memphis 6.5s in the front or rear side panels (to replace the stock 6.5s) and make bigger holes to fit my 6x9s or I could sell my 6x9s and buy another set of 6.5s instead. Anyway- quite confusing for me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
money says mad people are gonna tell you to "search".

but my opinion... ive never seen someone put 6x9's up front in a g. what alot of people do , its replace the front components (amp em), then trhow a sub in the trunk. take out the 6x9's to allow more air to pass through to the car.

what i did, and i love it,and do not regret it at all. i replaced the front with kappa components, the rear 6x9 with kappa 2-way 6x9's, and threw in 2 10" subs in the trunk. the speakers have a 125wx4 channel amp, and the subs have a mono channel 600w amp.
and of course i have a new stereo (single dinn, my only regret).

components up front and subs in the back will work fine for you, and sound great. however i (as well as most people), are used to having sound coming at us from the front and back, so i needed rear speakers, otherwise it sounded empty to me.

some people will tell you to just do that though, and spend extra money on some kick *** components up front.

GL, pics whenever you do the install!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Don't have up the door to put a 6x9 in. Invest in some components and a nice amount of power.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 AM
After doing some further research I decided since barely any of the things I have already will fit the car, I'd be better off selling them as a bundle and just buying all new stuff. I got on the tech chat with Elemental Designs today and ended up receiving a phone call and working out a package to include the following:

2x e3.65i component system (for front and rear side panels)
an e5.10 subwoofer with custom enclosure for the G-coupe
an Avionixx CXA 640 to power the 4 speakers
an Avionixx CXA 820 to power the sub
a gallon of eDead v3 sound deadening

all for under $1000 shipped! ED was really great to work with and I anticipate receiving the stuff within the week except for the box- that will take ~an additional week to build/ship. I'll be sure to leave feedback after the install, hope it will all sound great.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Accidental double post

Last edited by Balfhedii; 08-26-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Why did u buy all of that ED crap? smh.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry for the bump.. just wanted to find out how did the rear side speakers work out for you.. looking to replace minds.. as well..

Old 01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Sorry I kinda abandoned this thread. To answer your question, Buddi, it turns out the e3.65i were all too "thick" to fit into the holes for the speakers. I could get them in the front with some modification but there was no way I was getting them in the rears. I ended up returning them to ED and replacing them with a set of http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_581 DLS UP6i's. So I've been running just front speakers for a while now and it sounds great. About a month and a half after putting the e5.10 subwoofer in, it suddenly stopped working. Turns out one of the tinsel leads burned out due to over excursion. There were rips and tears all throughout the spider. I RMA'd it to ED and they refused to honor any warranty as they claimed the damage was caused by incorrect settings. I used a custom enclosure that they built for their speaker and powered it with an amp that they suggested. I had my gain at around 10 o'clock, LPF, and crossover at 80Hz, so I don't feel that my settings were incorrect. I finally ordered an Image Dynamics IDQ10v3 from Sonic Electronix a couple of days ago and it should be here Wednesday.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK .. i appreciate the reply.. im have speaker issues all around.. my two back speakers (6.5) are busted and my fronts are crackling.. i already bought replacemnts speakers for the fronts.. (infiniti perfect 6.1) just wanted to see if i can avoid replacing the speakers in the rear... and by the sounds of it .. the sound quality is good enuff with the fronts along with a woofer in the back.. but if by any chance you do find replacemtns for the rear.. please post here as i would like to replace mines as well if i could..

Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Balfhedii
Sorry I kinda abandoned this thread. To answer your question, Buddi, it turns out the e3.65i were all too "thick" to fit into the holes for the speakers. I could get them in the front with some modification but there was no way I was getting them in the rears. I ended up returning them to ED and replacing them with a set of http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_581 DLS UP6i's. So I've been running just front speakers for a while now and it sounds great. About a month and a half after putting the e5.10 subwoofer in, it suddenly stopped working. Turns out one of the tinsel leads burned out due to over excursion. There were rips and tears all throughout the spider. I RMA'd it to ED and they refused to honor any warranty as they claimed the damage was caused by incorrect settings. I used a custom enclosure that they built for their speaker and powered it with an amp that they suggested. I had my gain at around 10 o'clock, LPF, and crossover at 80Hz, so I don't feel that my settings were incorrect. I finally ordered an Image Dynamics IDQ10v3 from Sonic Electronix a couple of days ago and it should be here Wednesday.
THAT is why i asked why you bought the ed stuff.

That company is the worst when it comes to customer service.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Yeah Buddi if I were you I would just remove both the rear side speakers and rear deck 6x9's (assuming you have the stock Bose system). I'm not too familiar with those Inifinity Kappa's but I've seen them around these boards. I do know that the DLS speakers I bought have a relatively small magnet and I was told by the ED rep I worked with that they are common choices for people with 350Z's - he said that the way the window rolls down into the door prevents us from being able to use speakers with standard sized magnets. Again, I think they sound great but they're a little pricey at $349 on SonicElectronix. I think that if you amp them, one component set in the front will be all you need. The rear side speakers will only provide more "fill sound" and bring the sound stage away from the front of the car (where you're sitting) and the Bose rear deck speakers are for bass anyway, so a sub would cover that range. I'm powering my fronts with a 4 channel amp and have a separate amp to power my sub.

Eggyhustles - I spoke on the phone several times with Alex Lindeman from Elemental Designs. He was very knowledgeable and helpful, that along with good reviews online is what lead me to buy all the ED stuff. I will admit however, shipping took FOREVER and of course there's the whole denying my warranty for a $225 speaker thing. Hopefully the Image Dynamics sub in the mail will serve me better. I bought it through Sonic Electronix and also purchased an extended warranty for like $30 just in case.