Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Feedback on my master plan with a question or 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Feedback on my master plan with a question or 2

After spending the day in several custom audio shops today I decided to up my budget a bit and look at this set up. I really like the front sound stage philosophy and I want clean, tight bass but not thumping. Basically I want to hear it but don't want people outside to hear it if that makes sense. Let me know your thoughts when you can.

1. JVC KW-NT3HDT
2. Focal 165 V30 front components
3. AMP-????
4. Dayton Audio Reference Series RSS265HO-4 10" sub mounted in a Zenclosures box for the sedan.
5. 40 CLD tiles from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com, some closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl sound barrier.

So my question would be, would I be able to get the same sound quality that this set up would provide cheaper with different choices? If so what would those choices be? I found the Focal components online for $399 shipped which isn't much more than the BA pro60's and I had a chance to listen to both set ups at the same shop. Might be my preference but the Focals blew the BAs away.

Is there a better choice for a 5 channel amp that's a little cheaper and would work well with the DA sub? And last question, since I'm ditching all things Bose would I need the PAC-NIS adaptor at all?

I really appreciate everyone who has put up with my audio n00bness and patiently answered my questions. Hopefully my next new thread will be my build.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 09-18-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
You're missing just about the most important part in a SQ "keep it inside" setup.
Get about 40 CLD tiles from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com, some closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl sound barrier.

Putting about $200 or so into sound deadening that way will let you hear the difference between a $400 set of components and a $100 set while you're actually moving, otherwise, you'll be giving up a lot of sound quality to road/wind/tire noise.

The following users liked this post:
S 854 (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Great suggestion, thanks. Any feedback on the amp and PAC questions?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
You won't need the PAC if you're not trying integrating into the factory sytem. All you need is Power, Ground, Ignition, and Illumination from the factory harness. You can just tap the factory wiring for those and not worry about an adapter. Literally 6 of one and half dozen of the other, both will work but if you are bypassing all the Bose stuff, personally I wouldn't bother.

Not too familiar with the amp or current JL stuff so I can't help you there, sorry bud.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Go with a bigger sub.

Puny 8 with little power=no low end extension

Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was running a single JL12W3v2 and was not satisfied with the amount of bass it gave. The W3 line is barely even mid quality sub. I'd def suggest getting a better sub and one that isn't JL since they are way overpriced.

Check out SSA and FI subs.

And Wrather always gives solid advice. I have 36 square feet of sound deadening material in my ride. All of it is in the trunk (+deck lid) and doors.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Great suggestion, thanks. Any feedback on the amp and PAC questions?
You won't need the PAC ROEM-NIS2. Both the Metra 70-7550 or 70-7551 will work just fine for your application, the only difference being the 70-7551 uses RCA plugs that you won't use, while the 70-7550 connects to the speaker-level outputs from the headunit's wiring harness (outputs which you won't use either).

Old 09-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by KnowScott
I was running a single JL12W3v2 and was not satisfied with the amount of bass it gave. The W3 line is barely even mid quality sub. I'd def suggest getting a better sub and one that isn't JL since they are way overpriced.

Check out SSA and FI subs.

And Wrather always gives solid advice. I have 36 square feet of sound deadening material in my ride. All of it is in the trunk (+deck lid) and doors.
Yeah, JL 10w6's are good subs, but there's better for cheaper. I'd go with a Sundown SA-10 or IDQ10v3 if I were buying one today over the 10w6 I have now. I'd also not buy JL amps again either, even though they're good. Just not near the price/performance of others.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Any thoughts on the Alpine PDX-5 or the Memphis "baby" Belle? They both are getting great reviews on a couple of audiophile websites I poked through although the baby Belle seems impossible to find.

Wrathernut/Eggystyle what would be your suggestions for a clean, tight 5 channel amp for under $400? That's the last decision I need to make.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Any thoughts on the Alpine PDX-5 or the Memphis "baby" Belle? They both are getting great reviews on a couple of audiophile websites I poked through although the baby Belle seems impossible to find.

Wrathernut/Eggystyle what would be your suggestions for a clean, tight 5 channel amp for under $400? That's the last decision I need to make.
I'll go with whatever eggystyles says on the amp.

PDX-5 is only worth it if you need something that small though.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks, could I use a marine amp in a car environment? I found a Baby Belle marine 5 channel amp that I'd seriously consider if it would work.

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't but you guys are the experts.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
why a 5 channel?

Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 AM

My thought process from the start was to build a system that didn't shake the trees around me but provided better acoustic performance with a nice bass punch than the Bose did. I'm trying to keep it simple and clean so I am following the less is more philosophy. A 5 channel amp (if strong enough) should be the ticket for me because it will prevent me from having to run 2 amps which in turn will be less clutter, less strain on the battery, and should be able to drive the system I want. I'm willing to spend a little more on each component than I was when I started my thought process about the build to keep it simple yet satisfying. Perfect example, after listening to various front components including the ones mentioned here I raised my budget and am going with the Focal 165 V30. At ~ $500 they definitely aren't cheap but I was blown away listening to them side-by-side with a lot of other components, including the BA Pro60s.

So my list is getting more clear but I'm set on the JVC deck, the Focal speakers, and a Dayton Audio Reference Series RSS265HF 10" sub mounted in a Zenclosures box for my sedan. The last major piece of the puzzle is the amp and I spent a lot of time on caraudio.com and a couple other websites like that and the recommendation for what I wanted was the 5 channel. I really like the Memphis Belle, but the only versions I can find are the marine, and I found one new for under $400. It's plenty strong to drive the fronts and the sub (400W) and gets nothing but major love on all the forums I trolled.

I'd be curious to hear your feedback, am I looking at this the wrong way? I am literally punch drunk from all this research, there's an intimidating amount of options out there and every time I think I've made a decision I see something else that changes my mind. I'm over-thinking the process I'm sure and I'm ready to just make some decisions, be happy with them, and start the buying.

Hit me back with your feedback, I have come to trust your recommendations as well as Wrathernut's. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
PDX-5 is only worth it if you need something that small though.
Are you saying it's too much amp for my build?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Are you saying it's too much amp for my build?
No, the amp is physically smaller than others. If you don't need it to fit in such a small space, I'd go with one a bit larger.

And as for going with 5-channel, there's not a lot of choice. If you're running those focals up front, don't put anything in the rear. Just get a powerful 4-channel amp and bridge two channels to power a sub. I wouldn't put a second set of speakers to interfere with the quality from those focals, and there's about 50x as many 4-channel amps to choose from, so you can get something that suits your needs a lot more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Feedback on my master plan with a question or 2