Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Speed sensor wire avic d3 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed sensor wire avic d3 ?

im going to be installing a avic d3 into my car this weekend and im waiting for everything to come in but im curious to know if i have to tap into the speed sensor wire for my nav to work or will the ODB2 from the radio just past the signal

so will i just have to place the gps antenna somewere and plug the rest off the stuff up for the nav to work ??

Here is what i ordered so far

PAC ROEMNIS2

Metra Axxess ASWC

Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter

Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring

and of course the jdm double din kit

oh and i would like to say thanks to Wrathernaut for making a huge short cut for this install

Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
First, you're welcome

Now that that's out of the way:
ODB2 and the harness that plugs into the back of the radio are entirely different things.

You'll need to tap the speed sensor wire from one of the harnesses that doesn't plug into the main radio harness. It's this one right here, the green/white wire is the vehicle speed sensor, the green and red are the two steering wheel control signals, while the yellow is the reference ground, which must be grounded for the steering wheel controls to work:

I recommend putting the GPS antenna under the dash. So long it has metal beneath it (like the sticky thing they give you) and no metal above it, you're good. Here's where I mounted mine, since I still have my factory GPS installed, so the factory GPS antenna location behind the clock was already taken:

I don't see a PAC ROEM-NIS2 or Metra 70-7550 harness in there anywhere, I hope you have one or the other.

Originally Posted by g35kid00
im going to be installing a avic d3 into my car this weekend and im waiting for everything to come in but im curious to know if i have to tap into the speed sensor wire for my nav to work or will the ODB2 from the radio just past the signal

so will i just have to place the gps antenna somewere and plug the rest off the stuff up for the nav to work ??

Here is what i ordered so far

PAC ROEMNIS2

Metra Axxess ASWC

Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter

Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring

and of course the jdm double din kit

oh and i would like to say thanks to Wrathernaut for making a huge short cut for this install

Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
PAC ROEM-NIS2 YEA just received it today

Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 PM
okay let me get this clear i got to tap into the green /white wire by running one of the wires from the PAC ROEM-NIS2 harness to the plug above...and this plug is the one that is not gonna get pluged into the avic d3 and im guessing the Metra Axxess ASWC will get taped into this plug also
?

i maybe need to slow down and have this stuff in front of me and then ask question i may be jumping the gun

Ok I just read the harness from my aftermarket radio and it's a pink wire that says car speed signal so I guess that's the wire the goes to the gree/ white vss

By the way do i have to ground any wires and were too ??? Sorry for the million questions but I just wanna do it right the first time I try thanks again

Last edited by g35kid00; 10-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes, the green/white gets connected to the pink wire on the AVIC D3. The plug shown above does not plug into anything else, you cut and connect to, or splice directly into those wires. Yes, the ASWC connects to the red and green wires on that harness, the yellow gets grounded.

Anywhere that a screw goes into metal in the car is usually a good ground. I used screws down under where the radio goes, so long as it's bare metal and attacked to the car, it should be fine.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:51 AM
I can't get my steering wheel controls to work the Aswc linked because it was solid red at the last light up but no functions work what' is the problem my car is a mess and I need to fix it in the morn please comment back

Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Sorry to bump old thread, but the speed sensor wire is the same on all years g35 Sedan right? 02 to 06 years just making sure. Thanks in Advance.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, there are no 02 G35s, but for all years it's white with green.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yes, the green/white gets connected to the pink wire on the AVIC D3. The plug shown above does not plug into anything else, you cut and connect to, or splice directly into those wires. Yes, the ASWC connects to the red and green wires on that harness, the yellow gets grounded.

Anywhere that a screw goes into metal in the car is usually a good ground. I used screws down under where the radio goes, so long as it's bare metal and attacked to the car, it should be fine.
What happens if this plug isn't used at all and I don't care about steering wheel controls? Would this affect my dash lights and gauge movement or transfer changing gear

Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Popey87
What happens if this plug isn't used at all and I don't care about steering wheel controls? Would this affect my dash lights and gauge movement or transfer changing gear
Nothing happens; nope.