Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control/Radio Repair DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC & Radio issues

So I have tried everything on here from checking fuses, a/c sensor and even taking the HU out and disconnecting the ribbon cable that connects from the cd player to the HU itself and no luck. I originally took it apart to try to solder the pieces suggested in this article but there was nothing wrong with them they were not burnt or unsoldered so if there are any other quick fixes could someone please help me lol

TB35

Old 10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by TB35
So I have tried everything on here from checking fuses, a/c sensor and even taking the HU out and disconnecting the ribbon cable that connects from the cd player to the HU itself and no luck. I originally took it apart to try to solder the pieces suggested in this article but there was nothing wrong with them they were not burnt or unsoldered so if there are any other quick fixes could someone please help me lol

TB35
FYI my resistors looked fine too. They even measured fine. Once I pried at them with some tweezers, they came right off though. I would take another look if I were you, and replace them regardless.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Best info ever

This is by far the best info I have ever seen to fix an electronic issue. It was accurate and had excellent details. I was able to fix my mother in laws radio in under 1 hour. This was after the dealer wanted to change the radio and control board at her expense because her car was made 2 months after the service bullitin would cover. Used parts on eBay are really overpriced for a 10 year old car.

I never sign up for forums because I usually seek info but don't have much to offer. I created this account because of how impressed and appreciative I was of the info. Thank you to the contributors.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Equilibrium,

I am truly grateful for the fix with this problem. I also want to thank jbishop and quanttrom for the added help. You have all saved me a great deal of money with this. I completed this fix about an hour ago and sure enough it was R509 being loose that may have contributed to my radio being dead and my climate control being nonresponsive and stuck on 75. My radio and climate control is now functional (I really needed it to be working now that the temp is dropping). I do have a cd changer error which was present months before the unit died. For all of those that will attempt this fix make sure you have proper tools. Soldering in such a tight spot was a huge PITA.

I am trading my 2004 G35 in for a new sedan and I was deathly afraid of the value being dramatically reduced because of this issue. So far I have experienced just about every common problem with this model. Door locks stop working (still not fixed and don't think I will), clock light blown (ordering new one), window motor going bad (ordering new one), bad/warped rotors (have new ones in my trunk just need to put them on), Radio/ climate control not working (fixed), engine burning oil (not going to fix).

I have had the most fun with this car than any other car I have owned. But life has led me on a different course and it's time to move on. When I bought my car I was single, no kids, owned a motorcycle, and half owner of a boat. I was the text book bachelor. Seven years later and today I have a son, engaged, sold the bike and my half of the boat.

I have an older model sedan but I want something new and the G35 coupe will be a good trade in as she is very clean cosmetically. It's the other aforementioned problems that had me concerned.

Sorry if this is long winded. I registered just to show my appreciation.

Again, thank you all for the wealth of knowledge and help on this forum.

Gcouper

Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 AM
Yeah, holy crap this post is amazing. I came back to the forums to ask if anybody had any ideas for my totally WACKY issue of radio and climate control panel being off, while steering controls still worked for the radio. I never imagined that there'd be a fix this detailed that actually worked! You guys are amazing. Thanks a ton.

PS: Yeah, my resistors looked fine too. I'm pretty sure R509 was OK, but R510 and R508 were up on one side...imperceptably by sight. R508 didn't move either, but testing across one side and then over to the next trace line indicated it was disconnected. I hit all 3 just to be safe, said my prayers, and it's all working!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I registered to report that this fix worked for me, too. Thanks guys for posting this!! Mine was an 03 G35 sedan with the Bose system.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
My sons car has exactly the same problem .Took stereo apart and r508 fell off when I just touched with screwdriver.Would like to find a solution that eliminates all 3 resistors .They are so tiny that are hard to resolder .Do you have a solution that would do this and be able to resolder new single hi watt resistor at points that are easier to resolder on circuit?

Old 01-17-2014, 05:48 PM
g35 radio ac control

We have exactly the same problem on our G35 coupe as experienced with others.I took apart the radio and located the 3 resistors .R508 fell off the board after just probing with tip of small screwdriver.R509 and R510 seem ok.
Wonder if any of you can show how to bypass all 3 resistors with 1 hi watt (or 2 ) in locations that have better soldering locations such as C515 and C511.From reading through the thread it seems that some have used I resistor however the R508 is so tiny I am afraid of frying the board and ruining it at this point as the solder joints are only surface mount on the printed circuit?
Help much appreciated.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Time for me to chime in, I took the center console apart. Got the unit out and apart, got a buddy to solder the resistors back. (R508-R509-R510) and now my AC buttons actually work the AC correctly, my tape player is working and my radio is working, only problem I've had still is that my CD player is still non functional. When I bought the car used I put a cd in within the first 5minutes and it ate it, do I need to manually remove the cd from the cd drive some how, for the player to begin working? I thought once I got the board fixed I would be able to hit the eject cd button and it would work but I guess not.

Anyone have any info or know how from experience on if I need to take it apart again and take the cd out manually, so it can work, Or do I need to buy a new CD player?

Thanks for all the info everyone, very pleased I got it back together and stuff works. Just bummed on the cd still being screwed up.

Hopefully someone can help me again!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by AKsG35
Time for me to chime in, I took the center console apart. Got the unit out and apart, got a buddy to solder the resistors back. (R508-R509-R510) and now my AC buttons actually work the AC correctly, my tape player is working and my radio is working, only problem I've had still is that my CD player is still non functional. When I bought the car used I put a cd in within the first 5minutes and it ate it, do I need to manually remove the cd from the cd drive some how, for the player to begin working? I thought once I got the board fixed I would be able to hit the eject cd button and it would work but I guess not.

Anyone have any info or know how from experience on if I need to take it apart again and take the cd out manually, so it can work, Or do I need to buy a new CD player?

Thanks for all the info everyone, very pleased I got it back together and stuff works. Just bummed on the cd still being screwed up.

Hopefully someone can help me again!
These radios are subject to both electrical failures (which includes, but is not limited to those resistors), mechanical failure of the CD changer mechanism, and also a good dose of failure of the CD laser/detection parts. You've experienced at least two of these so far.

Getting the old CDs out isn't trivial, but is possible, I've got a post/video that details the process: https://g35driver.com/forums/6546535-post1049.html

If it's still screwed up after that, get an auxiliary input (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ory-radio.html), and connect a portable media device to it, CDs don't belong in cars anymore.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
These radios are subject to both electrical failures (which includes, but is not limited to those resistors), mechanical failure of the CD changer mechanism, and also a good dose of failure of the CD laser/detection parts. You've experienced at least two of these so far.

Getting the old CDs out isn't trivial, but is possible, I've got a post/video that details the process: https://g35driver.com/forums/6546535-post1049.html

If it's still screwed up after that, get an auxiliary input (https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ory-radio.html), and connect a portable media device to it, CDs don't belong in cars anymore.
Appreciate it man, I'll check into the aux input,(I've been using a tape that's got a cord coming out so I can plug in a iPod/iPhone). I totally agree with CDs being out dated I guess I'm still stuck and bummed about it not working since the day I got it lol (and wanna see it work) now that you said that, I may just forget about the CD player working haha! )Using what you said as reassurance in not caring about it) lol

Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Thank you so much for the information in this thread. I got the stuck A/C and dead stereo (except for the wheel controls) issue.. Didn't want to mess with checking/ re-soldering the resistors so ended up just disconnecting the ribbon cable between the CD and the Tape units. Worked like a charm, now A/C works fine and I have radio display. The CD player stopped working a long time ago because of a stuck CD so I don't really care about it anymore..

Originally Posted by jbishop129
Original Poster - @equillibrium - EXCELLENT FIND! This is 99% positively the problem with my '03 G35 coupe, Bose. I have the standard prob where the A/C temp cant be changed, and stereo is dead. I actually found a few months ago if you disconnect the middle ribbon cable going between the tape and CD units, it disables the CD, and everything else works fine.

I came across your post, and being an avid electronics guy and good at soldering, I checked those surface-mount resistors, and BAM, you're dead on: R508, R509, and R510 are loose. very light pressure on them from the side reveals that although they look okay, they're actually desoldered. I'll be doing this repair in the next day or two, and will post back. Here's a picture of the 3 SMR's in question.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexB
just disconnecting the ribbon cable between the CD and the Tape units. Worked like a charm,
Hey guys,

Australian V35 owner here. Just had this aircon issue happen to me too.
Does anyone have any screenshots of which cable to disconnect? Im wanting to do this as a temporary fix until the double din kits are available.

I havent taken my dash apart yet, but would like to be prepared with information when i perform this on the weekend.

Is this ribbon easy to find? Do i have to take apart the tape/cd unit?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers,

Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Question - I have the metra double dinn kit . and my ac controls stopped working. the board everyone is talking about... is that the board on the AC kit? or on the OEM radio/AC controls?

Old 02-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by hdmark
Question - I have the metra double dinn kit . and my ac controls stopped working. the board everyone is talking about... is that the board on the AC kit? or on the OEM radio/AC controls?
They discussed board is only part of the OEM radio. If your climate control is failing with the metra board installed, it's either a bad metra board, loose connection, or a much deeper problem with the climate control system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Climate Control/Radio Repair DIY