Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Strange Whispy noises and no Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Whispy noises and no Audio

Hey Guys,

I've got an 04 G35 Sedan and after getting the INFAMOUS : CD ERR FO I found a local Factory Service Outlet and had them fix it. They replaced the module's power supply and circuit board.

I was driving back home from work when the radio would not come back on after I stopped to buy a drink at 7/11. I go back the next day and they replace the drive screw that moves the CD stage up and down.

Some weeks later and I get the same problem again, this time I fully hear the mechanical gears working to spit out the cd and it does. However, the audio will cut out with a small pop and only come back on when it wants to. AC works completely fine, no problem and the weirdest thing is that the display and channel memory is still working fine.

I decided not to even mess with CD's and the car and opted to using the tape deck and a tablet for my source of audiophillic enjoyment. It worked for awhile but then it too decided not to play any sounds through the speakers and will instead spin the tape to side 1, then to side 2 and eject it saying TAPE ERR. I found that the car will do this only when it decides it has an CD ERR FO too, I tried to load a CD again just to see if it would work or stimulate the car somehow.

As of 2 days ago, the speakers won't work at all and I hear a strangy whispy noise not unlike wind blowing in your ears, it will increase in volume then fade.

Do you think there could be a fuse that has blown out, even though my AC works and my Head Unit's display still works?

Is it possible the amplifier is the source of this problem?

If it is the fuse, which fuse box [ i know there are 3] is the likely culprit and does it use cylindrical bus fuses or the flat 2 pronged male fuse?

I'm completely at a loss and it really sucks using a cell phone and a tablet with speakers when there are multiple bose speakers surrounding me while driving.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Newbio
Hey Guys,

I've got an 04 G35 Sedan and after getting the INFAMOUS : CD ERR FO I found a local Factory Service Outlet and had them fix it. They replaced the module's power supply and circuit board.

I was driving back home from work when the radio would not come back on after I stopped to buy a drink at 7/11. I go back the next day and they replace the drive screw that moves the CD stage up and down.

Some weeks later and I get the same problem again, this time I fully hear the mechanical gears working to spit out the cd and it does. However, the audio will cut out with a small pop and only come back on when it wants to. AC works completely fine, no problem and the weirdest thing is that the display and channel memory is still working fine.

I decided not to even mess with CD's and the car and opted to using the tape deck and a tablet for my source of audiophillic enjoyment. It worked for awhile but then it too decided not to play any sounds through the speakers and will instead spin the tape to side 1, then to side 2 and eject it saying TAPE ERR. I found that the car will do this only when it decides it has an CD ERR FO too, I tried to load a CD again just to see if it would work or stimulate the car somehow.

As of 2 days ago, the speakers won't work at all and I hear a strangy whispy noise not unlike wind blowing in your ears, it will increase in volume then fade.

Do you think there could be a fuse that has blown out, even though my AC works and my Head Unit's display still works?

Is it possible the amplifier is the source of this problem?

If it is the fuse, which fuse box [ i know there are 3] is the likely culprit and does it use cylindrical bus fuses or the flat 2 pronged male fuse?

I'm completely at a loss and it really sucks using a cell phone and a tablet with speakers when there are multiple bose speakers surrounding me while driving.

Thanks in advance!!
Congratulations, you spent money fixing a P.O.S. radio. If you'd hung out here, you'd have known better.

Best advice is to get your money back from the guys who have claimed to fix it, and put it towards a replacement.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Congratulations, you spent money fixing a P.O.S. radio. If you'd hung out here, you'd have known better.

Best advice is to get your money back from the guys who have claimed to fix it, and put it towards a replacement.
Well they guarantee their work for 90 days and I'm still within that period. I'll try and have them fix it more for free and look into having the whole thing just replaced.

Can you say with confidence its the radio itself and not any thing else?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well they guarantee their work for 90 days and I'm still within that period. I'll try and have them fix it more for free and look into having the whole thing just replaced.

Can you say with confidence its the radio itself and not any thing else?
Try and get them to repair it, but do let them know that you'll accept your money back to put it towards an aftermarket replacement. It may be better for them to cut their loss on what you paid them, rather than put a few more man-hours into repairs.

Yes, it's the radio, there's about 6 common failures in these pieces of garbage:
1. CD ERR FO error
2. Power supply failure, which fries various components over time.
3. CD read errors of one or more of the different slots
4. Failure of the main circuit board, leading to no display or response from the buttons, but steering wheel controls remain functional, and the radio still plays.
5. Ribbon cable connecting the board to the main unit going out, losing some channels when listening to CDs.
6. Mechanical failure of the disc changer mechanism, leading to jamming or the inability to do anything with the CDs.

Additionally, if you have the Bose system, it's not uncommon (although less common than the above 6) for the bose amp to just die completely.

The following users liked this post:
Newbio (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Ahhh ok I see... Thanks for the break down.

I do know that the AC controls are handled by the same circuit board as the radio, so in the event that I purchase an aftermarket radio set up, how will the AC controls work?

Do you have an idea why the tape deck is acting up too? It appeared when he removed them that they were two different modules, with their own individual control systems. This lead me to believe it may have been a fuse or something going out. Is the amp located in the trunk? Perhaps I can get an ohm meter and check out if its working correctly..

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Ok so I'm reading conflicting articles about the amplifier, some say it is in the trunk on the side, and others say its just in the trunk?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ahhh ok I see... Thanks for the break down.

I do know that the AC controls are handled by the same circuit board as the radio, so in the event that I purchase an aftermarket radio set up, how will the AC controls work?

Do you have an idea why the tape deck is acting up too? It appeared when he removed them that they were two different modules, with their own individual control systems. This lead me to believe it may have been a fuse or something going out. Is the amp located in the trunk? Perhaps I can get an ohm meter and check out if its working correctly..
A/C controls will work as usual through the JDM a/c controls or the aftermarket a/c controls that come with the metra kit.

tape deck is acting up, probably because these headunits are crap. Not much more to say about that.

The amp is in the trunk, under the rear deck on sedans, and under the floor by the spare in the coupes.

Ok so I'm reading conflicting articles about the amplifier, some say it is in the trunk on the side, and others say its just in the trunk?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Just wanted to update here:

The soldered connections on the power supply were the culprit. Swapped it out, radio works like a champ again. Problem is it stressed out my alternator some, I have noticed it is showing some wear from the whole debacle.

Thanks to all.