Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Controller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Controller

I bought this module so I could retain my steering wheel controls with my radio that uses an ir-remote. I was wondering if anyone else had used this system, and if so, where did you go about mounting the IR LED. I would like to place it somewhere where it won't stand out. I need some good ideas. I have considered in the rear view mirror pointing down to the radio, but that means I have to lengthen the cable. Any better ideas? I can't find a place on the center console that doesn't stand out...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybird
I bought this module so I could retain my steering wheel controls with my radio that uses an ir-remote. I was wondering if anyone else had used this system, and if so, where did you go about mounting the IR LED. I would like to place it somewhere where it won't stand out. I need some good ideas. I have considered in the rear view mirror pointing down to the radio, but that means I have to lengthen the cable. Any better ideas? I can't find a place on the center console that doesn't stand out...
What radio is it? You're generally better off going with a wired one like like the metra axxess aswc if it has any other input.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I would love to go with a direct connection, but unfortunately its an older unit and doesn't have an input in the back. I had to go out and buy a universal remote just to program this box. Its an alpine CDE-9881. I just want functionality until I buy a true double din sized radio next summer.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I'm kind of in the same dilemma as you. I took a look today, and if you have the A/T, on the manual shift side on the right, behind the "downshift" part of where the gearshift would go, the trim is a bit angled up pointing toward the radio. I didn't yet look to see if it's feasible to mount the IR transmitter there, but that could be an option.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Well I programmed it and tried to point it downward at the CD player from the top with the CD player not installed and it worked. This made me think, hey I can just put it in behind the dash and it will transmit like it did when I was testing. Turns out, it does not work now. It must be angled slightly differently, but the dash is together now and its winter once more so I pretty much bought the thing for nothing. Looks like I will be buying a double din next year and hopefully that will have a wired input and I can buy the other module.

I don't know if you experienced this, but after I programmed the module it seemed to respond very poorly. Sometimes it would work on the first time, others it would do nothing. Very finicky, and didn't seem like a quality product. I programmed it twice, and this was holding the transmitting LED right at the CD players receiver. That's the main reason I decided to just scrap the idea of opening up the dash again.

Disappointing situation indeed.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You might have luck aiming it at the reflective ring around the shifter (on A/T models) from just under the radio.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Good luck. I hope you get it solved. My dilemma is that I have the Sony CDX-C90, and it does not use a 3.5mm jack input for the wired remote, so I may have to use the SWI-X, which I'd prefer not to. May not have a choice though, unless I can magically figure a way to wire up an adapter to convert the rectangular opening to a 3.5mm one.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by mrnix
Good luck. I hope you get it solved. My dilemma is that I have the Sony CDX-C90, and it does not use a 3.5mm jack input for the wired remote, so I may have to use the SWI-X, which I'd prefer not to. May not have a choice though, unless I can magically figure a way to wire up an adapter to convert the rectangular opening to a 3.5mm one.
The real problem is that the CDX-C90 came with its own wired remote module, so they really only expect you to use that.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Hybrid, did you find a place to mount your IR transmitter? I'm having trouble with my Sony HU picking up the signal from my Swi-X